Changing from shakehand to penhold(blade change)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Sounds good. Isn't there a non signature blade equivalent? (Like Hurricane Long 2 -> PG7)
The HH II isn't a cheap blade.
I'm his clubmate, not his father....
[Emoji23]
maybe for christmas though...
Yeah PG7 is actually one of the most popular among the PG series. It's supposed to play similarly to HH2. I have never tried.

For the price and numerous reviews I am sure it's a good blade.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So i owned a penhold PG7 once. it's a pretty good blade. Really affordable.

I prefer my Stinga Clipper but that's a little stiff probably for him.

I'll tell you this. I'm eyeing these sexy new Gambler Fire Dragon penhold blades.

https://www.zeropong.com/products_new

They have carbon in them and are clearly trying to emulate some of Butterfly's popular ZLC blades.. They even say so in the description. :) But i'd go for either of their two thinner 5.8 I think thickness blades for looping. They have a thicker blade 6.something I think (kinda like my clipper) for more drive, power play.

But to your original post. Yes penhold wings that don't have the sanded wings are the worse. Sand those babies down. I use a dimmel. The end result should look like a completely beveled rounded corner on both sides top & bottom.

Another tip. I would do this if i was starting form scratch but alast I've been playing this way too long. Teach him to use the RPB 95% of the time. Sure in the cross over point or sometimes with sidespin chop-blocks a la Ma lin the TPB is better but other than that? RPB.

I have tried & tried to use the RPB more but instinctively on blocks i just use TPB.

Good luck.

I'm a lefty also who plays penhold. Have him watch the He Zhi Wen setup type of point with the side spinning pendulum serve breaking wide far off the table. If he can block the opponent's loop down the line, point is over 75% of the time. A good setup to emulate. He doesn't have to play short pips like He Zhi Wen to do this. Can be done with inverted all the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Have him watch the He Zhi Wen setup type of point with the side spinning pendulum serve breaking wide far off the table. If he can block the opponent's loop down the line, point is over 75% of the time. A good setup to emulate. He doesn't have to play short pips like He Zhi Wen to do this. Can be done with inverted all the same.

I love to watch He Zhi Wen when he does this!

I am a righty, and similar concept - i serve a rocket serve to partner's BH, and punch it down the line.

Reactions: OhWell and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So Suga I don't know if you've already picked out a blade for him but here is a Yasaka Extra on sale from tabletennis11 at a rediculous price.

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-sweden-extra-ch-pen

This is a famous blade (my Yinhe W6 is a clone of this blade) that is known for control, slower pace which might be good for him and a good amount of flex for looping.

5 ply wood. 5.8mm thick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
So Suga I don't know if you've already picked out a blade for him but here is a Yasaka Extra on sale from tabletennis11 at a rediculous price.

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-sweden-extra-ch-pen

This is a famous blade (my Yinhe W6 is a clone of this blade) that is known for control, slower pace which might be good for him and a good amount of flex for looping.

5 ply wood. 5.8mm thick.

Gee, thanks a lot. That really sounds like a winner. Probably will order one tomorrow.
One of my clubmates brought me a twenty y.o. dhs premade that he got from his father. I'll put on new rubbers after i've sanded it. Tried to peel of the old rubber. Took me ages. Brittle doesn't even come close to its condition. Here's what it looks like at the moment.
IMG_20171020_193639.jpg
IMG_20171020_193651.jpg
Seems to be a nice 7ply. Probably rather on the stiffer side. But I hope it will be worth the effort though.

ME TOO!

You spot me 9 right?!?!?!

LOLOL

Certainly. But to make it fair you have to spot me nine as well. At least it's gonna be a close one then.
[Emoji23]

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Certainly. But to make it fair you have to spot me nine as well. At least it's gonna be a close one then.
[Emoji23]

*puts hands over ears and hums LOUDLY*

loo la la la la la la la la, loo la loo la loo la loo la loo, loo la la la la la la la la, ...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
WOW! great work Suga!!

Thank you, Sifu.
:)
At first i just wanted to remove the old sponge bits, but i just couldn't stop to get a halfway proper result.
Thanks again for your acknowledgement.

*puts hands over ears and hums LOUDLY*

loo la la la la la la la la, loo la loo la loo la loo la loo, loo la la la la la la la la, ...

Hahahahahahaaaa
[Emoji23][Emoji23][Emoji23]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
So i owned a penhold PG7 once. it's a pretty good blade. Really affordable.

I prefer my Stinga Clipper but that's a little stiff probably for him.

I'll tell you this. I'm eyeing these sexy new Gambler Fire Dragon penhold blades.

https://www.zeropong.com/products_new

They have carbon in them and are clearly trying to emulate some of Butterfly's popular ZLC blades.. They even say so in the description. :) But i'd go for either of their two thinner 5.8 I think thickness blades for looping. They have a thicker blade 6.something I think (kinda like my clipper) for more drive, power play.

But to your original post. Yes penhold wings that don't have the sanded wings are the worse. Sand those babies down. I use a dimmel. The end result should look like a completely beveled rounded corner on both sides top & bottom.

Another tip. I would do this if i was starting form scratch but alast I've been playing this way too long. Teach him to use the RPB 95% of the time. Sure in the cross over point or sometimes with sidespin chop-blocks a la Ma lin the TPB is better but other than that? RPB.

I have tried & tried to use the RPB more but instinctively on blocks i just use TPB.

Good luck.

I'm a lefty also who plays penhold. Have him watch the He Zhi Wen setup type of point with the side spinning pendulum serve breaking wide far off the table. If he can block the opponent's loop down the line, point is over 75% of the time. A good setup to emulate. He doesn't have to play short pips like He Zhi Wen to do this. Can be done with inverted all the same.

Those Gambler blades look quite nice, actually.
Do you know if 729 is producing them? I've heard they were OEM for Gambler a while ago, but not sure if my info isn't outdated.
The Fire Dragon Hinoki looks appealing to me, but lately i've been moving away from composite material, would like to see an allwood Hinoki, but then again the DJ Fly looks quite nice too.
Would love to see or read some reviews. Not so much about feel (that's too individual) but rather about quality and craftmanship.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Since I left that post some time back, I've purchased the Gambler Fire Pro Dragon Touch penhold blade.

I made a thread about it here in case you didn't catch it.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ns-on-Penhold-Gambler-Fire-Dragon-Touch-Blade

You can read my impressions and thoughts on the blade there but the cliff notes version is that I really, really like it.

PS - All I know (at least i believe this is all correct) about Gambler is that they are owned by Zeropong which is a Table Tennis Company based I believe in South Carolina here in the US. Previously my experiences with Gambler products have been positive so I thought I'd roll the dice.

I emailed zeropong to ask about http://www.gamblertt.com/. What is that them? they replied back
"Yes we just expanded a bit, new joint venture factory in China ect."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hahaha.
Your humbleness is unrivaled.
:)
BTW: finally got to assemble the racket.
Here's what it looks like now.
IMG_20171031_141851.jpg
IMG_20171031_141915.jpg
The wings still need some more sanding, but i didn't want to do some irreversible stuff to it.
Gonna hand it over to my clubmate 2nite. Hope he likes it. But I'm still gonna find one for myself. Hard to help someone learning without knowing what it's about.