Changing from shakehand to penhold(blade change)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yeah easy on the sanding of the wings, although you can use wood putty, i feel it's harder to add wood putty back on then if i took it nice and slow in gradually sanding down the wings.

Man, oldschool Yasaka Mark V! Brings back a ton of memories!

LOL at humbleness !!! i'm a poser wannabe even on that front! ;-)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Suga,

What'd your club mate think of the new blade? Nice of you to hook him up like that.

He instantly fell in love with it.
[Emoji2]
Just trying to payback what was given to me when i was young.
Thanks for acknowledgement though.

He says it's a good bit faster and spinnier than his previous paddle and he needs time to get used to it, but he really enjoying it.
He still has to sand the wings some more.

Yeah easy on the sanding of the wings, although you can use wood putty, i feel it's harder to add wood putty back on then if i took it nice and slow in gradually sanding down the wings.

Man, oldschool Yasaka Mark V! Brings back a ton of memories!

LOL at humbleness !!! i'm a poser wannabe even on that front! ;-)

Hahaha... if you type in the word “humbleness“ on Google or any other search engine your photo appears...
[Emoji2]

Glad to put that movie in your head again. I used to love Mark V a lot but as a kid i could hardly afford them and played mostly with Magic Carbon as it was cheaper and i had a friend who got them for free.

Thanks for reminding me of wood putty. Strange i didn't think of that.
Good to have it just in case.
I just sanded slightly.

BTW: still gotta get a penhold blade for myself. Probably gonna get a hinoki to be closer to my usual setup.
Wasn't sure of i should get the Nittaku Septear in penhold. TT11 has it on sale this week.
But a single ply is also very tempting.

Does anybody here have experience with single ply blades?
I remember Carl warning me about its fragility but also having the nicest feel...

Not sure what outweighs the other....

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Does anybody here have experience with single ply blades?
I remember Carl warning me about its fragility but also having the nicest feel...

Not sure what outweighs the other....

Take this FWIW... (you know me, that means long boring story from the 1980's ;-)

I used a Yasaka "Fast Attack" PH one-ply blade in the early 1980's or even late 1970's. It was very light and fast, very fast ... keep in mind that at the time I was used to the Double Happiness 032 (5 ply - good for looping) and the DHS 08 (7 ply - good for flat hitting -- *sigh* RIP my beloved Excalibur). It vibrated TOO much for my liking, having played with the DHS blades.

The old firehouse in chinatown had 2 tables length-wise. I was at one end of the club and went to loop, lost my grip, it flew to the end of the 2nd table and it cracked apart :(

My current blade I've used on and off since last Christmas from NextLevel's Christmas contest, and using it recently as my go-to blade. I believe it's the American Hinoki WRC (Western Red Cedar) 9mm 1-ply CPen (i know it's definitely American Hinoki and WRC-9 from the markings). The bat head is smaller than I'm used to, but the the double Tenergy 80-FX compensates and "makes many shots for me"

20170329_234533_1491307903625.jpg

Top is the AH... bottommost is Excalibur, you can see how much i sanded the wings. Our family dog went crazy once and bit and broke the handle. If you look carefully, you can see the teethmarks lol... used wood putty to patch up. (2nd from top is Der's Nexy Amazon and 3rd is an Avalox P700 7-ply which I didn't sand down too much)

20170329_232401_1491307904030.jpg

The other grooves were from the previous 2 owners -- this was a gift from a si-hing when I was starting out. I have a slightly unorthodox TPB grip, you can see how deep I grooved the back of the handle. The grooved back of the handle facilitated my punches as well as blocking.

Forgive my rambling reply -- i like the American Hinoki 1 ply, has helped my RPB game as well as my SH game but suspect it's the rubbers more than my skill/techniques. With that said, this week, when i go to the club, may try my old Avalox to see/feel the difference with the tacky rubber I have on compared to the tensor rubbers I've gotten somewhat used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Sweet pics.

That American Hinoki blade is sweet looking. Really, really thick on the handle but I like 1 plys and I'll be that's a speed demon.

Your sanding job on the back of the handle on that last pic I was nodding my head "Yes" to. That can do so much for comfort. That's where i'm always talking about liking thin handles. I suppose reminding me of Jpen. I like the paddle to be relatively flat against my hand. With a thick, rounded handle, it's just uncomfortable. I had to sand my PG7 much like what you did there.

I suppose that's partly why i'm enjoying my Gambler Fire Dragon touch blade so much. One of the thinnest handles I've ever seen. Only had to round the wings and I was good to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Sweet pics.

Thanks suds! was a partial repost... old man memory, forgot which thread i posted to before.

That American Hinoki blade is sweet looking. Really, really thick on the handle but I like 1 plys and I'll be that's a speed demon.

Your sanding job on the back of the handle on that last pic I was nodding my head "Yes" to. That can do so much for comfort. That's where i'm always talking about liking thin handles.

YES! I guess it's my punch and blocking game, but thick handles doesn't help those aspects of my game.

I suppose reminding me of Jpen. I like the paddle to be relatively flat against my hand. With a thick, rounded handle, it's just uncomfortable. I had to sand my PG7 much like what you did there.
I've not really tried the JPen style paddles. Probably only once ages ago, think I'm adverse to thick handles and just never gave it a serious go at it.

Ages ago, I did use IIRC, Butterfly Rotor blade ... despite the thick JPen handles, there were grooves in both sides of the handle and it was made for twiddling.

Fast googling, i didn't find what i recalled was the Rotor. But this is similar ... a TSP Rotor.

s-l500.jpg

I suppose that's partly why i'm enjoying my Gambler Fire Dragon touch blade so much. One of the thinnest handles I've ever seen. Only had to round the wings and I was good to go.

I'm not a true EJer, but at some point i may try your Gambler Fire Dragon. I have an old hand me down Butterly Taksim I have to try first though.

Reactions: suds79 and Suga D