Changing from shakehand to penhold(blade change)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
I got a fist injury and it hurts when i play FH loop with shakehand.
I have been using a timo boll ALC,hurricane 3 on fh and mxp on bh.
My question is:what penhold blade should i choose that is similar to my current one?
My style is agressive.playing heavy spin on half long balls and speed loop on long.playing counterloop near the table and that kind of stuff haha

Poslano sa mog GT-I9300 koriste?i Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I have just baught my first 2 real cpen blades. The balance is "of" with the shorter handle. They tend to become headheavy. This DHS Pg7 feels real head heavy with a big dipper and stiga boost-rubber. Exited to see how it plays tomorrow!

a2484825d71a01dffa548515ce471237.jpg

I usually play two old JO Waldner Banda blades with normal handles.

45f9d6ec7bc7dc9905798cf6e073bdc3.jpg

Reactions: Striker_
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
I have just baught my first 2 real cpen blades. The balance is "of" with the shorter handle. They tend to become headheavy. This DHS Pg7 feels real head heavy with a big dipper and stiga boost-rubber. Exited to see how it plays tomorrow!

a2484825d71a01dffa548515ce471237.jpg

I usually play two old JO Waldner Banda blades with normal handles.

45f9d6ec7bc7dc9905798cf6e073bdc3.jpg
Allright man!
Let me now how the blade feels!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
Try Stiga Rosewood 5 CPen, excellent for aggressive style, Xu Xin's ex blade.
If its like the normal roosewood(shakehand), then no.i dont like the feel at all.i have better feeling with timo boll alc...
If you tried any butterfly pen or dhs pen blade thats has arylate carbon or something similar,let me know

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You cant go wrong with Malin Extra Offensive. Try to get one around 80-82gr. i think more ppl will corroborate this.
If you want more speed and dont care that much about weight there is also Malin Extra Special, 7ply stiff/medium blade but it will mostly be 88+ gr.

To lower the weight, myself and many other form my club been using FastArc S1 on the BH or both sides. It is fast, bit bouncy (more or less like rakza7), soft 42dgr and very spinny with small wirst movement, it never bottomed out with me and as cpen im mainly a 3rd/4th ball kill player.

In short, id sugest Malin Extra Offensive (82~gr), rakza7 or Xiom Omega IV Asia Fh and Fastarc S1/Vega Europe(less durable) BH. youd spend about 110 USD the whole combo. Also, rubbers and blade are amazingly durable :)

Feel free to ask anything else,
Raul Pacheco.

Reactions: Liten
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
You cant go wrong with Malin Extra Offensive. Try to get one around 80-82gr. i think more ppl will corroborate this.
If you want more speed and dont care that much about weight there is also Malin Extra Special, 7ply stiff/medium blade but it will mostly be 88+ gr.

To lower the weight, myself and many other form my club been using FastArc S1 on the BH or both sides. It is fast, bit bouncy (more or less like rakza7), soft 42dgr and very spinny with small wirst movement, it never bottomed out with me and as cpen im mainly a 3rd/4th ball kill player.

In short, id sugest Malin Extra Offensive (82~gr), rakza7 or Xiom Omega IV Asia Fh and Fastarc S1/Vega Europe(less durable) BH. youd spend about 110 USD the whole combo. Also, rubbers and blade are amazingly durable :)

Feel free to ask anything else,
Raul Pacheco.
Thank you very much!!
Im gonna stick to my h3 definately.its the only rubber i trust haha.
Im gonna do some more research but im definately gonna consider the ma lin blades you suggested.
And nah i dont care about weight.the faster, the better ????????????????

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Hey Markog99, :)

Stick to H3 on the forehand if you like it. It's a great rubber and will suit penhold well.

You don't necessarily need a very fast blade as a penholder. Top penholders mostly actually use slower blades compared to top shakehanders. The reason being that as a penholder you should stay a little bit closer to the table and rely on using the angles more. Apart from that, over-the-table-play is more natural and somewhat easier than with a shakehand grip. It helps you control the game in the opening few shots.

You can also produce a bit more spin due to the mechanics of penhold, so you have a greater "spin range" which makes it easier for you to be deceeptive through spin variation. For a penholder speed is good, but the short game, using the angles and spin variation will win you the majority of your points, IMHO.

As for a blade, you will do well with an allwood blade such as Yasaka Ma Lin Extra, Nittaku Violin or Septear (cheap as chips, but a great blade), Avalox P700 or a Stiga Clipper (although the Clipper may be a little on the heavy side). For a more control based game, a Stiga Offensive will give you plenty.

If you plan on playing RPB, you should probably choose a Euro/Japanese style rubber for the backhand. The RPB's effective strike zone is narrower than that of a shakehand backhand so to hit a quality RPB you will need to move more to be in the perfect position every time. Euro/Japanese rubbers are more forgiving than tacky Chinese ones so they are more suitable, IMHO. Another important thing is that they provide a little bit more speed than tacky rubbers on RPB.

Anyway, good luck in your search and with your switch to penhold :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
Hey Markog99, :)

Stick to H3 on the forehand if you like it. It's a great rubber and will suit penhold well.

You don't necessarily need a very fast blade as a penholder. Top penholders mostly actually use slower blades compared to top shakehanders. The reason being that as a penholder you should stay a little bit closer to the table and rely on using the angles more. Apart from that, over-the-table-play is more natural and somewhat easier than with a shakehand grip. It helps you control the game in the opening few shots.

You can also produce a bit more spin due to the mechanics of penhold, so you have a greater "spin range" which makes it easier for you to be deceeptive through spin variation. For a penholder speed is good, but the short game, using the angles and spin variation will win you the majority of your points, IMHO.

As for a blade, you will do well with an allwood blade such as Yasaka Ma Lin Extra, Nittaku Violin or Septear (cheap as chips, but a great blade), Avalox P700 or a Stiga Clipper (although the Clipper may be a little on the heavy side). For a more control based game, a Stiga Offensive will give you plenty.

If you plan on playing RPB, you should probably choose a Euro/Japanese style rubber for the backhand. The RPB's effective strike zone is narrower than that of a shakehand backhand so to hit a quality RPB you will need to move more to be in the perfect position every time. Euro/Japanese rubbers are more forgiving than tacky Chinese ones so they are more suitable, IMHO. Another important thing is that they provide a little bit more speed than tacky rubbers on RPB.

Anyway, good luck in your search and with your switch to penhold :)
Hahaha thank you very much.i handnt realy thought about those things, but now that you opened my eyes with your answer i almost cryed of happines haha ;)

Anyway, now im realy gonna listen to you and make a choice based on your answer!!

Your sir have my respect ;)

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
Scratch my last post.
The head-heavyness of the c-pen blade when glued up with rubbers seems strange and "off" when holding the blade. In play however, it's MAGIC!

Needs more testing but sofar the DHS PG7 with Yinhe Big Dipper on FH got me 4-0 in sets to 21, first time trying it. Crazy happy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hey guys, sorry for playing the necromancer, but i have a question and didn't find a thread that could help me. So maybe you guys have an idea.

Here's the thing:
We have a young guy aged about nineteen who started playing TT for about a year and changed to penhold a couple of months ago after having seen Xu Xin. He's also a leftie. But he still uses his regular shakehand racket.
Since many people/coaches have been trying to talk out playing penhold and tried to force him playing shakehand again, but that only made him want to play penhold more.
[Emoji2]
One of the reasons he's come to our club is no one tried to influence him so far playing shakehand again. I'm not sure if i really should encourage him playing penhold since there aren't too many coaches that know a lot about penhold in the center of Germany. But as I wrote since everyone has tried to talk out penhold he's only become more stubborn and wants to play penhold, no matter what.

First thing i'm gonna buy him a penhold blade, 'cause he starts getting sore fingers since the wings of his racket haven't been sanded yet. (Probably gonna buy one for me too)
[Emoji6]

But i didn't find too many tutorials about technical details or drills (mainly footwork drills) for penhold players on the forums, so i would really appreciate if anybody could post some links or YT channels about this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I do keep arguing,

Penholder player win big time on feel and minute ball control to shake hander player , each contribute to better touch at spinning the ball

[emoji6]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Hahaha. Good point.
[Emoji106]

Wang Hao tutorial with sub. If he wants to learn the modern RPB he must watch it.

Passionate about TT

Thanks a lot. That was exactly what i was looking for. Another great post, mate.

I'm also a modern penholder, and I recommend using the DHS Hurricane Hao 2 blade.

Thanks. How does it feel. I believe it's rated quite fast.
I'll probably start with something more basic like the pg-7 or maybe even a 5-ply blade.
At the moment he uses something that looks like a premade with flared handle and some old Tibhar volcano rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hahaha. Good point.
[Emoji106]

Thanks a lot. That was exactly what i was looking for. Another great post, mate.

Thanks. How does it feel. I believe it's rated quite fast.
I'll probably start with something more basic like the pg-7 or maybe even a 5-ply blade.
At the moment he uses something that looks like a premade with flared handle and some old Tibhar volcano rubbers.
I am using Hurricane Hao 2. It's specifically designed for modern penholder. It's a 5-ply wooden blade. But it's quite fast.

Enough power for hitting close to the table.
Enough power for looping at mid distance.
Lacking power when far from table.

It goes particularly well with Chinese tacky rubbers because of its flexibility. The spin is insane.

Passionate about TT

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder