Two types of backhand flick

A while ago I saw or read and interview with Koki Niwa about this return, and he said his choice depended on the spin of the incoming serve and its placement. That determined whether he would come around the side of the ball or try to drive it. The other aspect he mentioned, if I recall correctly, is deciding where to place his return, which factored in to which return he chose. It all gets quite complicated.

do you know where can I read the interview? I speak japanese a little.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Haha Dan, I would REALLY like to know your thought process (and that of your TT associates) of your decision making process of what to do for your short aggressive receives.

Would also be more than good to hear the "Fanz" opinions and thought process to, but I suspect he is like me, more of a forum facilitator than a top elite player.

Haha, Dan never really chips in on coaching discussions so often (maybe his elite amature level he has been there and done that more than sufficiently enough) so this will be an interesting discussion 4 sure.

Hey Der,

Aha you are right actually will do my best.

I actually saw Fanz comment in the live stream and it got me thinking about the variations to a backhand flick hence the start up to this topic :)

Firstly I think what is really important, is on the receive of serve, try to expect the ball to come long, so you are already in position ready for a long ball. Then when you realize the ball is short, then step in ready for the flick. For me but some players are different, I try to brush the ball as thin as possible but going forwards on the flick. I think it is really important to try not to go for speed at all. Try to work on brushing the ball as much as possible, then at the very last min of contact you can go for power if the ball sits up high enough. It is kind of hard to explain maybe Ill make a video response to this :) Fan Zhendong actually showed me a little how to do it in the review I had with him, because his flick was phenomenal when I saw it right in front of me I had no choice but to ask him. Couldn't believe how well he was picking the ball up from my backspin serve.

If you watch from 3.19 you can see the backhand flicks:

- I find taking the ball a the highest point is optimum so the clearing the net becomes easier, if you are to late for top of the bounce then a slower brush flick is required to clear the net.
- Lots of multi ball practice in this area will really ingrain your technique and you will find your own perfect way to do it :)

It is kind of hard to explain maybe Ill make a video response to this :) Fan Zhendong actually showed me a little how to do it in the review I had with him, because his flick was phenomenal when I saw it right in front of me I had no choice but to ask him. Couldn't believe how well he was picking the ball up from my backspin serve.

I'm 99% sure that what FZD does is chiquita, not daijou drive. It's because you do reverse pendulum, so the contact point is to do chiquita is behind the ball, making it looks like daijou drive, which Im sure is not

This user has no status.
Niwa describes the contactpoint (as lefty) to be right/top side of ball (see URL article in above post) .
I always wonder if you could do this on heavy backspin as well or in that case switch to side or side/under?

Please let me know your experience with regards to the ball contact point in relation to the chiquita flick.

Last edited:
Niwa describes the contactpoint (as lefty) to be right/top side of ball (see URL article in above post) .
I always wonder if you could do this on heavy backspin as well or in that case switch to side or side/under?

Please let me know your experience with regards to the ball contact point in relation to the chiquita flick.
you can't, basically how you do Chiquita is to hit the ball perpendicular to the spin. This way your rubber won't eat the spin and you can easily do attacking stroke

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
you can't, basically how you do Chiquita is to hit the ball perpendicular to the spin. This way your rubber won't eat the spin and you can easily do attacking stroke

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Exactly - Chiquita is like a straight forward stroke round the side of the ball to generate mostly sidespin. Over the table backhand loop drive is around and over the ball or sometimes just through the ball. Many people have strokes that mix both but I still play mostly the drive version as I always look for stabilizing topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
30 years ago when i was twelve, there was no backhand chiquita stroke. Fast forward to present day, Xu Xin can and does a forehand penholder chiquita stroke. Now where is the modern day shakehand version?

IT' actually a backhand stroke for shakehanders. Petrissa Solja is one player who does it fairly often and obviously.

Reactions: Suga D