OMRON Table Tennis Robot 2015 Edition

Will robots defeat World Champions such as Ma Long in the future?

• Yes technology is an incredible thing

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Absolutely hell no!

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Tech giants OMRON last week released their latest table tennis robot to take on humans at the CEATEC fair. This robot has been updated since it's release in 2014 with a screen embedded into the surface of the table which lets you know where the robot will hit the ball. The OMRON robot has been designed to teach humans learn how to play table tennis. The problem that the robot still cannot handle is spin (which is understandable) as we are still trying to understand it! :)

There is also two options the robot can be set to, beginner and medium for skilled players.

Will one day robots be able to beat humans? It is predicted that a bunch of robots will be able to beat the 2050 football World Cup team. Will this be the same for table tennis? Will one day robots be able to understand spin?

You can watch the robot win points against some amateurs below:

Reactions: slimjimmii
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
The technology to beat a human player already exists except for perhaps the mechanics. It is just a matter of time, money, and priority before some nerd or more likely, a team of nerds, make a robot that that will kick ass and these nerd probably will have little true TT skill between the lot of them. The nerd will use physics and math instead of myths and opinion. I also think making faster and reliable mechanics is important. The computing power already exists.

The camera(s) would need to be able to focus on more than just the ball. The opponents paddle is very important.

Raazz, you should be scared. It isn't like skynet will get us. The social upheaval caused by automation putting unskilled and low skill workers out of a job is already happening slowly.

I/we have helped to automate machines or whole assembly lines and 20 people are without jobs. I/we have updated machines and suddenly one machine does the job of 3 machines.

Soon taxi cabs will not have taxi cab drivers. Neither will delivery trucks or buses. At the airport there is a machine that scans my passport and asks me questions now.

This user has no status.
OMG. John Connor was right.
We must....destroy.....skynet.
;)

too late.... :D

I saw a robot in a garage, built up by a private person some time ago and I found it again. He uses 4 cameras and some coo mechanical devices :) have a look:

but to act against some spin is hard to practice with the robot. solution could be to a striped pattern on the ball so the cameras can calculate the revolutions per second or something like that. but it´s a nice idea, anyway!

aaah forgot, the man needed 2 years to develop this robot alone! ... here is his blog: https://ulfhoffmannroboter.wordpress.com/

He also mentions the Kuka-robot which played against Timo Boll. I was not convinced by this robot, it ooked like it can do crazy stuff but was not as good as I expected.

And here you can see 2 robots play against each other:

That was 4 years ago. But I don´t think the humans will be replaced by robots at a wonderful sport like table tennis ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OMG. John Connor was right.
We must....destroy.....skynet.
;)

Too late now the cat is out of the bag, Pnachtwey is actually a pseudonym for SkyNet. Now we know why only his racket made an appearance in that famed video. We should have known. All of us have already been put on a list of trouble makers that SkyNet will choose to make disappear in some convenient manner.

The machines are gonna take over and all we can do is sit back and watch.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone