Rio 2016 predictions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Anyone have any predictions for Rio 2016? I believe the IOC only allows two singles players per country, so Ma Long and Fan Zhendong will likely represent China. How about the US?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Ma Long is going to win and be the grand slam champion he was meant to be :)

Depending on the status of other CNT members, it can be any of the other three (ZJK, XX, FZD). If ZJK can't recover fully from injury he's out--they might let XX play instead of FZD since his days are numbered and this will be the last chance at his olympic dream. ZJK already fulfilled it but it would be awesome to see ML v ZJK in the finals... total redemption for Ma Long to get his first grand slam while denying ZJK's second grand slam :D

We'll see what happens.

I think the U.S. will play Olympic trials for the team? It would probably be good for them to send younger players just for the experience like Khanak Jha and Jack Wang.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Whoever goes for China, they will have to qualify. To play in the Olympic singles event you have to win your spot and earn it.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

+1

Chinese players aren't very good so they might not be able to qualify.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
+1

Chinese players aren't very good so they might not be able to qualify.

Hahaha. That is funny. No. They will probably max out their qualifying players in the first qualification event. The issue will be, if Xu Xin and Fang Bo have good tournaments and ZJK, ML and/or FZD don't, those two could go. Who ever is hot and on the right side of the draw, could go. And if the CNT doesn't send at least ML, ZJK, FZD and XX someone is going to be irate and ML owns FZD and XX but not ZJK, on a good day anyone can win between FZD, XX and ZJK. So the results really will depend on who is hot and how the matchups in the draw line up. Because, unless something really strange happens, the only players who will knock CNT players out will probably be CNT players.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well if they are at their top form ZJK and ML will qualify, I dont think FZD XX or FB can challenge them, if we assume that in the qualifiers these two are at their best , I cannot see how FZD or FB can pull a win. XX is one notch under ML and ZJK he just has that weakness inbetween forehand and backhand & weak overall BH (doesnt bh block for example but turns around to play FH) which is constantly exploited. I would like to see ZJK vs ML final although I dont know which is better ML to make a grand slam, which he deserves in my book, or ZJK a double one and make every critic shut their tiny little mouth :p