Top 10 annoying situations every table tennis player has encountered!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
We've all encountered these situations as some point right?

1) You play a young child prodigy and he annihilated you! We have all been there, playing in a tournament with your mates, perhaps even in front of your girlfriend. You then came up against a young whippersnapper, you lost the first set, your hands start trembling, your heart races and the next thing you know, your match point down. The kid at the other end of the table is screaming his heart out choing for the cause, his mum is even screaming his name on the sideline, and then bang you've lost.

danvskid2.jpg

2) You lost to that awkward, dodgy player in the local league with long pimples who just stands at the table and doesn't even need to move and still runs you ragged putting the ball wherever he wants and no matter what you do you still have no answers.

longpimpleettcblog2.jpg

Photo by: ettcblog

3) You lost to a player and they come over to you and told you how they beat you! As if losing wasn't hard enough they now tell you everything from your weaknesses and tries to give you pointers like they are some pro. Deep down your thinking ‘leave me alone I just played badly’.

jackiechanleaveme2.jpg

4) You're waiting around for your regular practise partner to turn up, and out of nowhere someone asks you for a knock.

willferrelltt.jpeg

5) It's happened again! You've drawn that bogey player in the tournament ranked way below you and you know you should easily beat. He loses to all the players you beat and really is no where near your level. You start to play him, you win the first two sets and think this is it you've finally got him. You go match point up in the third but for some weird reason you can't get that last point and he narrowly takes the set way after Duce around 18-16. You don't want to believe it's happening again but deep down you know it is and whatever you are going to do it won't be enough. Before you know it you're 5-1 down in the fifth and fighting fate. He defeats you off the table, he's now your bogey player for life.

6) When one of your mates brings up Forrest Gump and says table tennis isn't a real sport.

7) When someone tries to convince you that famous Bruce Lee clip is real.

8) When someone much better then you completely destroys you and doesn't even have to make an effort. You've been training hard for 5/10 years+ but you come up against someone who is just too good and makes you feel like a complete beginner who only picked up a bat for the first time yesterday. You try your best serve that catches everyone in the league out but this guys just dismisses it by flicking straight past you and you come to the sudden realisation that you just gave it your all but no matter whatever you're going to do it just won't work. You might as well just walk round the other side of the table and shake his hand. You are just not on this guys level.

9) Someone who over celebrates each point and there's just no need.

10) When someone way under your level thinks they can beat you and gets really annoyed when they lose and start making excuses like "the floor is too slippy". Actually my friend we are both using the same floor the simple fact is I'm just much better than you. Of course you don't say this..

So we are all table tennis players here. I am pretty sure you have atleast been in 2 of these situations before. Write in the post below which situations you have been in and any other really annoying ones we have missed out :)

Written by: TTD content writer Tom Jeffcott

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
In the Polish Open if you watch the preliminary qualifications match between Tomokazu Harimoto and Tan Ruiwu, you see the situation of 1 + 9 from above. Well to be fair it was a very close match and the chooing is not quite like Lin Gaoyuan or Bernadetter Szocs but still it's a pretty good symbiosis of 1 and 9 :)

By the way I believe this "little kid" Tomokazu Harimoto beating Tan Ruiwu is no fluke, he has beaten Jens Lundquist and Omar Assar before...

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
4) You're waiting around for your regular practise partner to turn up, and out of nowhere someone way below your level asks you for a knock.

Come on, what is wrong with hitting with that guy for 5-10 minutes? Even if his skills are not very sharp, there are options: you can block (never hurts to practice), 3rd ball attack (almost everybody can push), service receive (most people know how to serve short with some backspin so you can practice your banana flip).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Ok, here is my take

11) When you desperately want to practice and meticulously plan your session. Then you come to the club and find that all the players available either want to play only matches, or think that they're oh so above your level that even 7 minutes of blocking is oh such a waste of time.

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
This topic is so awesome! :D

11. You have just bought a brand-new blade and rubbers. In the first multiball training with the new racket you practice half-long shots and by mistake hit the edge of the table and destroy your new rubber. Well played 50€.

Has this happened to anybody else lol? :D I think twice for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This topic is so awesome! :D

11. You have just bought a brand-new blade and rubbers. In the first multiball training with the new racket you practice half-long shots and by mistake hit the edge of the table and destroy your new rubber. Well played 50€.

Has this happened to anybody else lol? :D I think twice for me.

I almost torn a new Tenergy 64 in the first practice session with it last week when practicing backhand flicks. Only left a nasty mark, but it was dangerous. Luckily, I didn't the full price for it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Come on, what is wrong with hitting with that guy for 5-10 minutes? Even if his skills are not very sharp, there are options: you can block (never hurts to practice), 3rd ball attack (almost everybody can push), service receive (most people know how to serve short with some backspin so you can practice your banana flip).

"Way below your level" is the key thing. And you may not believe it, but these things can ruin your match preparedness in a tournament. Especially if the player is not using inverted.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
The first 10 minutes of warm up with my brand new T05- first training session with it, I completely shredd it on the table, and of course- right in the middle of the rubber. Needless to say, I was not amused.
Let's not forget those instances where you buy a brand new expenisve blade, and manage to knock the edge of the blade on the edge of the table. I had my carbonado 190 for two weeks before that happened...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
"Way below your level" is the key thing. And you may not believe it, but these things can ruin your match preparedness in a tournament. Especially if the player is not using inverted.

Yes, it is the key. But everybody define "way below" in their own way. Some people think that when they beat someone in the local league in last few matches, those guys suddenly became "way below their level" :)

I understand that nobody is not obliged to anybody, but we are humans after all and why not just do a favor? I can hardly believe that playing for 10 minutes with someone who you consider way below your level can ruin anything. Especially if you would spent this time being idle on a bench waiting for someone otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and Reaper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, it is the key. But everybody define "way below" in their own way. Some people think that when they beat someone in the local league in last few matches, those guys suddenly became "way below their level" :)

I understand that nobody is not obliged to anybody, but we are humans after all and why not just do a favor? I can hardly believe that playing for 10 minutes with someone who you consider way below your level can ruin anything. Especially if you would spent this time being idle on a bench waiting for someone otherwise.

I like to hit with everyone in my club. But you have to be careful - it might not get you ready to play your best, and that is what you need when competing.

Example:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1276

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013

Absolutely agree. Mind if I add 13?

I went to a club and thought of testing my skills. I saw a guy a little above my level sitting on a bench with nothing to do, so with a good courtesy, I asked him for a game. And little did I know, he was annoyed with my invitation because he thought that I was WAY BELOW his standard. I believe everyone had that experience before, right?

Please stop being arrogant and be nice. People like these are the most annoying people in the club. They always thought that they are the "superior type" and they only wanted to play with the people higher than them. If everyone think like this, then nobody will ever get a game.

As a matter of fact, when I first started out playing TT 5 years ago, I tried to play with everyone. Some were totally arrogant and avoided playing with me because they thought I am way below their standard. They gave excuses such as "I am tired, I am waiting for my partner", or just pretend they didn't heard me. Yes, of course, I got beaten. But, after playing for 2 years, I beat them in every single game. Some games, I'd beat them 11-0, seriously. And nowadays, no matter how tired he was, he will "beg" me for a game trying to prove that he is still worthy. Of course, I never reject.

With such experience, I am willing to play with everyone even with people that are WAY BELOW MY LEVEL because I think everyone deserves a chance.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How 'bout the guy who starts trying to coach you and you haven't even warmed up yet but once you are, he must realize you are better than him, yet, he still is trying to coach you. [emoji2]

I play with everyone but there are times where people are delusional and don't know their level and that is a funny thing about table tennis. There are more of those people who think they are better than they are in TT than, I think, in most sports.

I am happy hitting with anyone. But there are times when there is high comedy to be seen when someone really doesn't know their level.

I can think of so many stories where someone lower level just isn't getting that the person he his playing is much higher level and playing nice.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Another thing which could be added to the list is the following. When I played last year in my league there was this guys which didn't really know much about the rules of TT. And everytime he served he made like a ninja hand movement following with throwing the ball straight at his bat which was his serve. But what was worse the umpire (his teammate ) was not better than him and I had to be pointing out the foul servers sooo many times. Did this ever happen to any of you?

Reactions: iHatePONGPING