Tomokazu Harimoto: a future star or a reality?

This user has no status.
We'll see what the future holds for Harimoto. His dad is a real brute, allegedly yelling at him for an extended period of time at Safir when he lost a match. That pressure from parents kan kill any talent. We'll also see his tactics and playing style form during the next two or three years. A lot of players can't escape what they learned as young adults. I don't think he is playing with enough initiative in his own game to challenge the top Chinese in the future. He might fall into the same trap as Jun Mizutani, with a underwhelming style of play.

If he just can stop the screaming, I'll root for him!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Suppose the new ball needs more physical in play to compensate for the decrease in spin and speed, so true that we hear top Chinese got injury in their daily training. But now we have a new 12 year old U21 champ and breaking all records. Something even the Chinese can't achieve. ITTF must be scratching their head on this.

No doubt Harimoto will progress fast and enter Top 10 ranking in no time. He is aiming to enter Tokyo 2020 when he turn 16. But as usual CNT will start studying his game when he becomes a threat and find a way to crack it so his life against China will not be easy.

Although he was born in Japan, his parents are Chinese origin and only got his Japanese Nationality in recent years so he can compete there. Because of the tension between the two nations in history there are already bad words throwing at him like "traitor" from China side. Not sure how the Japanese public and his teammate treat him when he start getting to the top in the adult world but really hope this identity crisis won't disturb his future as a table tennis player or life in JNT.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Suppose the new ball needs more physical in play to compensate for the decrease in spin and speed, so true that we hear top Chinese got injury in their daily training. But now we have a new 12 year old U21 champ and breaking all records. Something even the Chinese can't achieve. ITTF must be scratching their head on this.

No doubt Harimoto will progress fast and enter Top 10 ranking in no time. He is aiming to enter Tokyo 2020 when he turn 16. But as usual CNT will start studying his game when he becomes a threat and find a way to crack it so his life against China will not be easy.

Although he was born in Japan, his parents are Chinese origin and only got his Japanese Nationality in recent years so he can compete there. Because of the tension between the two nations in history there are already bad words throwing at him like "traitor" from China side. Not sure how the Japanese public and his teammate treat him when he start getting to the top in the adult world but really hope this identity crisis won't disturb his future as a table tennis player or life in JNT.

Its not because China can't achieve, but rather China focus on development at 12 years old.
China develop grand slam winners
Japan develop youth prodigies, both male and female.
End of the day, Japan don't have champions, and China does.
This has been going on for around 10-20 years now, and I don't feel it changing.

It is common for coaches to say, I rather have my 12 year old training than in international competition.
The more the competition, the worse for his development.

But then again, China don't have 12 year old champions, they have 15 year old champions.
If I was Japan, I would hold back the kid for another 1 or 2 year and then get him to become 14/15 year old top mens player in the world, not top U21 - China doesn't focus much in U21 and lower (mean while Japan has most of the ranking in the youth section)

Regarding traitor - I disagree with you.
So many Chinese went over to Japan. Went over to Europe, don't really have a problem from my side.
My understanding of Japanese people - if you are willing to give up your nationality and become Japanese (this including giving up your mandarin name) then you are Japanese and no longer Chinese

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Although he was born in Japan, his parents are Chinese origin and only got his Japanese Nationality in recent years so he can compete there.

A rate constellation. Parenting that stays kinda true to the chinese training system in a less restricted Japanese environment. As for the shouting, thats actually how kids in Chinese TT are instructed at first. It's maybe some sort of 'brain-washing', implementing that mental self-suggestion thing by physically shouting at young age, and then gradually get rid of the shouting thing over time til they reach adulthood.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A rate constellation. Parenting that stays kinda true to the chinese training system in a less restricted Japanese environment. As for the shouting, thats actually how kids in Chinese TT are instructed at first. It's maybe some sort of 'brain-washing', implementing that mental self-suggestion thing by physically shouting at young age, and then gradually get rid of the shouting thing over time til they reach adulthood.

This is not a Chinese thing
I see this is every continent
Some Europeans are also very bad in this

Maybe we need to consolidate all coaches reasoning, or is it just a copy cat principle

Last edited:
Reactions: 101010
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Well, I kinda can see the reasoning behind this procedure. The assumption probably goes like this:
The mental toughness thing is too complicated to explain to kids, so first we implement the tools for mental toughness and positive self-suggestion (aka annoying shouting), and when kids grow up and become better at grasping abstract concepts, we'll transform the external aspects (shouting) into internal stuff (self-suggestion etc).

As I'm totally unfamiliar I the field of kids psychology, I can't tell at all whether that works or not. I just feel rather enervated as a spectator.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, I kinda can see the reasoning behind this procedure. The assumption probably goes like this:
The mental toughness thing is too complicated to explain to kids, so first we implement the tools for mental toughness and positive self-suggestion (aka annoying shouting), and when kids grow up and become better at grasping abstract concepts, we'll transform the external aspects (shouting) into internal stuff (self-suggestion etc).

As I'm totally unfamiliar I the field of kids psychology, I can't tell at all whether that works or not. I just feel rather enervated as a spectator.

hahaha, good one, and makes good sense too

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
We'll see what the future holds for Harimoto. His dad is a real brute, allegedly yelling at him for an extended period of time at Safir when he lost a match. That pressure from parents kan kill any talent. We'll also see his tactics and playing style form during the next two or three years. A lot of players can't escape what they learned as young adults. I don't think he is playing with enough initiative in his own game to challenge the top Chinese in the future. He might fall into the same trap as Jun Mizutani, with a underwhelming style of play.

If he just can stop the screaming, I'll root for him!

Do you have a video of Harimoto's dad yelling at him or was you at the tournament?