Ma Long's excessive World Cup celebration causes injury!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Last week Ma Long won the prestigious 2015 World Cup in fine form defeating opponent Dimitrij Ovtcharov in the semi final 4-0. In the final Ma Long met compatriot Fan Zhendong, the world number 1 won in a impressive 4-0 victory. As Ma Long won he celebrated with a backwards roll (pictured below). Ma Long reported pain in his neck on arrival to the Polish Open this week and studies were carried out by doctors to see whether Ma would be able to participate or not. Ma Long was given the green light and told he would be able to participate and defeated Japan's wonderkid Tomokazu Harimoto 4-0 in the opening round which you can watch here. Despite Ma Long's good performance today he pulled out of the Polish Open as his neck injury worsened after the match. The champ will see the physio every day to recover. Reports suggest this is not a serious injury and Ma Long will be back.

malongroll.jpg

Ma Long celebrating victory in the 2015 World Cup final (Photo by: ITTF)

We wish Ma Long a speedy recover.

You can follow all the latest news, discussions, results and videos from the Polish Open here.

Whilst we on the subject, if you haven't already seen the final, here it is below:

This user has no status.
I can't imagine a player in top physical condition actually hurt himself doing this roll.

Not if he is tired and exhausted and riding the adrenaline rush. A lot of these players push themselves to the brink of breaking point. Its not uncommon for them to tip over once in a while?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can't imagine a player in top physical condition actually hurt himself doing this roll.

Well, truthfully, I've gotta be honest. This doesn't have to do with being in good shape. Being warm, being tired. It has to do with the flexibility of his neck in flexion. That is pretty deep flexion of the cervical spin and that could cause disc damage and nerve impingement.

So the bad news about what I just said is, this injury may bother Ma Long for quite a while.

That is my actual area of expertise and that could have been a bad thing for Ma Long to do. I hope not. But that is a distinct possibility with the position of extreme flexion that rolling over backwards put his cervical spine in.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW, when dancers do a similar movement they usually put their head off to the side so they are not putting their neck in direct flexion. When yoga people do a backwards somersault straight over, their hands push up so the neck never gets that level of direct flexion. Because, as they are going over, their hands lift their shoulders several inches off the ground so that the full weight of the body is never employed in forcing the neck to go that far into flexion.

Okay, get your tongues back in your mouths. But if you watch, when she goes over, her arms lift her shoulders enough so she will not injure her neck. Ma Long did not do that. There are probably several examples. But there is definitely one at the 4min mark of you don't want to slog through a hot blonde in a skimpy outfit blabbing about how to do this "correctly".

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Reactions: SquareBall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Hmm that is sad :( instead of doin a backroll he should have tear his h3 and threw it in the fans.. ohh i bet people will go berserk and screaming! [emoji4] kidding aside, that neck nerve compression is "painful" it will take aloooot of physiotherapy and tens, let us hope he recover fast.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl