Rallies Getting Better With The New Ball!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I like this post. There is good info here. But one thing should be pointed out: cocaine is not a steroid. Cocaine is a stimulant. It definitely could improve performance on a once in a while basis. But it is extremely addictive and it could make a player's game strategy and touch go out the window.

But when defensive linemen on American football teams play, that could enhance their game performance. For example: when Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theismann's leg and ended the guys career, I would be willing to put money on it that he was doing blow. And when they caught his drug use and he tried to play without, he was a step or two slower and less powerful. But also, he played less recklessly. Which in football doesn't always work but in TT that would usually be better, particularly for the strategy part.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Yeah great inshigt carl my bad about the term "steroid" maradona was on cocaine in the peak of his career and we all know how extremely good he played. My opinion is he didnt even needed it, he just was addicted to good life party with girls and stuff. In napoli the police have caught him many times with cocaine but they let him go because he was maradona, pretty funny situation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Ovctcharov was not accused of taking a steroid. He was accused of using clenbuterol, a completely different kind of drug known as a beta-adrenergic agonist. It is used outside the US for treatment of asthma (in the US other drugs of the same class are used). It causes some muscle hypertrophy (growth), although the evidence suggests that it causes increases in muscle size more than strength. It does this by mechanisms quite different from those used by anabolic steroids. Clenbuterol also stimulates fat breakdown, mainly in liver.

Clenbuterol hhas been widely used illicitly to increase growth of animals used for meat production, especially for pork in China. There was a case there, in 2006, when about 400 people in Shanghai were hospitalized for clenbuterol poisoning from eating tainted meat. A similar case happened with about 80 people in Guangdong province in 2009. It is still prevalent in the food supply there and occasional poisonings are still reported from this.

It is not safe, especially for anyone with heart issues or diabetes. It has substantial cardiovascular risk profile, and there are reports of tumors induced by long-term use.

WADA ultimately decided Ovtcharov's story was true, and they rarely let anyone off the hook.

(I study this kind of thing for a living).

Great info Baal, thanx for the answer :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
A possible RE-NAME to the thread COULD be.......

*** Injuries INCREASE with increased use of new ball ***

Let's rephrase this statement: "Professional athletes get injured because they struggle to hit a three gram tiny plastic ball hard enough". Now imagine a newspaper with such a header or try to explain this to layman :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is real.

Try throwing baseball or a 400 to 500 gram rock as far as you can... then try same thing with tennis ball. You will get hurt.

A matures and pros alike get hurt. Until advent of plastic ball I NEVER saw so many rotator cuff injuries and tendonitis strains in a one year period.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think without a doubt the rallies have been much more entertaining with the new ball and the frequency and rate of awesome rallies has been higher. We are seeing more fantastic rallies in each tournament than ever before.

I had plenty of doubts about the plastic ball and when they played the first world cup events there seemed to be a lot of errors and under-performance especially in the women's world cup I remember Li Jiao really struggling with the ball. In a complete turn-around now that she has become accustomed to the ball like many of the other international players, she made the semifinal and there were a lot of great points and rallies! :)

Looking forward to seeing how it will develop and whether the rallies will stay as great when they continue improving the ball for the players.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think without a doubt the rallies have been much more entertaining with the new ball and the frequency and rate of awesome rallies has been higher. We are seeing more fantastic rallies in each tournament than ever before.

I had plenty of doubts about the plastic ball and when they played the first world cup events there seemed to be a lot of errors and under-performance especially in the women's world cup I remember Li Jiao really struggling with the ball. In a complete turn-around now that she has become accustomed to the ball like many of the other international players, she made the semifinal and there were a lot of great points and rallies! :)

Looking forward to seeing how it will develop and whether the rallies will stay as great when they continue improving the ball for the players.

As the new balls get better I think the rallies will get better too, since bad bounces will be less of an issue. This will be especially true if we see more tournaments with Nittaku Premium or Butterfly G40+ balls. At the ETTC, where they used the Nittaku Premiums, the play was especially amazing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Amateurs and pros alike get hurt. Until advent of plastic ball I NEVER saw so many rotator cuff injuries and tendonitis strains in a one year period.

Sent from my SuperFancyNSVSpyPhoney using GoonSquadTalk

One thing I would say with this, sometimes when you have the injury yourself, you start noticing more people with the same injury. You may be right. But I haven't seen that. And remember, your rotator cuff injury was because of shoveling snow in 0-Degree temperatures (Fahrenheit) (-18 Celsius). Also, you were trapped indoors without being able to do that much exercise or movement. All that being said, you may be right. There may be more injuries with the Poly Ball. I have not seen it. But you could be right.

That being said I agree with this:

Try throwing baseball or a 400 to 500 gram rock as far as you can... then try same thing with tennis ball. You will get hurt.

I played baseball as a kid. In league, I would pitch 9 innings with a baseball easy and the next day my arm would be sore, but normal sore, like it had worked hard. The day after it was okay and the third day it was fine. I would be okay pitching on the third day but I would pitch better on the 4th.

Now, we also played this game where we were pitching from a 60 foot mound with a tennis ball. This game we would play 1, 2 or 3 players to a side with a field where, if we were using a baseball we would end up in jail. :) If I pitched more than 5 innings of this game, it wasn't that my arm was sore the next day, it did not feel worked the same way 9 innings with a real baseball felt. But it felt like someone was sticking a knife into my elbow and shoulder. Like, what the heck did I do to myself.

That being said, I have not really seen this with the new ball but it could be the case.

But I really agree with this:

And this:

As the new balls get better I think the rallies will get better too, since bad bounces will be less of an issue. This will be especially true if we see more tournaments with Nittaku Premium or Butterfly G40+ balls. At the ETTC, where they used the Nittaku Premiums, the play was especially amazing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
I don't think one needs any change, as most of us aren't at the level where superior ability to hit hard (as opposed to reading spin, footwork quickness, etc) matters.

However, if still concerned, one can always alleviate injury risk by changing the blade to something that has a shade more catapult (like, for example, moving from TB-ALC to TB-ZLC / MJ or moving from V- to V+ / Ultimate).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
The good thing about the new plastic balls are that they do not differ as much from the celluloid balls as I was afraid of. The difference is much smaller than the change from 38mm to 40mm balls. The new balls are marginally slower and the spin is marginally lower, which naturally could lead to longer rallies.

Even though we have seem some spectacular long rallies let's remember that if we take away too much spin and speed we will end up playing tennis on a table, which is very different from table tennis and in my opinion not that exciting. Table tennis should have spin and speed and explosive shots.

The worst thing about the new plastic balls is that the difference between different brands of plastic balls is unacceptably big (and I do not mean practice balls vs 3 star, but between 3-star balls). Players now need to practice with the same brand of balls that will be used in the next tournament. This was never the case with celluloid balls. Here ITTF should really do something about the consistency of the balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Heheh, that sounds more than a little bit implausible to me.
Where can you get accidentally steroid-contaminated meat these days?
If that was the explanation, I'm not sure I'll ever accept a dinner invitation from him. Or his wife for that matter! Heheh.
Anyways, it made me chuckle :)

In China, everything is possible. They even can make all those 5 to 30 years expired meat into a new meat that you don't even notice. This is not any prejudice, but actually is the fact

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've been thinking about this more:

I think the weight of the racket would have more of an impact on something like this than the weight of the ball. I could be wrong. But, a racket that is too light, like, 85 grams total, might cause what you are talking about more than the ball.

But I do think the rallies have improved with the plastic ball. Too bad the quality and difference between brands is so big an issue.

Hopefully the quality of the balls and the fact that all the 3 Star balls from China play worse than bad training balls--hopefully all that will get sorted out. But, it seems like it has been a while already and the changes seem to be going way too slow.

Has anybody seen any YELLOW (or is it orange) Poly balls out yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I could be mistaken but I was doing some drills with some of the juniors who are a part of the talent development centre in my city and they were using orange balls, I think they were using the new balls. Next time I'm there I'm going to have to take a picture!

If it is an Orange 40+ Poly Ball, definitely post a photo of the label of the ball.

Anyone else out there know if there are Orange 40+ Poly balls yet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
If it is an Orange 40+ Poly Ball, definitely post a photo of the label of the ball.

Anyone else out there know if there are Orange 40+ Poly balls yet?

Hey carl, i just been reminded of this post right here:

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://tabletennis.deals/table-tennis-deals/120-vision-super-training-w/

My club is in a desperate need for affordable training balls, and poly balls are breaking like crazy.

ORANGE!!!!!!

I have nothing else to add.

Last edited: