Mizuno Fortius FT Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
EJ season has started! :)
After seeing how Yuya Oshima have performed lately I got curious of what was so special about his setup? I did some investigation and found his blade, the Mizuno Fortius FT (Fine Touch), for a reasonable price.

Unboxing the blade:
The Fortius FT comes in a nice presentable box from Mizuno with a lot of Japanese wording which I do not understand. With the Fortius FT you get high quality for the money. Looks like Mizuno does comprise with anything. The blade just looks stunning with the selected colors lens and the beautiful logo in the end of the handle. The sample I got weighs 93g which were the lightest they had.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Composition is: Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba

For testing I decided to pair up the blade with the new GF series of rubbers from Mizuno the T48 on FH and T45 on BH both max. The numbers indicates the hardness of the rubbers. Andro 2* Polyballs were used for the test.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The following impressions is after one training training session.

Counter drive: When counter driving I had to adjust as I kept hitting the ball into the net. After some minutes the balls were hitting the other side of the table again. :) One thing I noticed from the Fortius blade was the amount of feel and control it had. When going back to an all wood blade I always get reminded of how the feel is. :)

Loop: Here I got amazed how this setup was performing. The GF rubbers creates this awesome click sound when looping like in the good old days before the SGB. The trajectory was in between medium/low with the T48 in FH and I would say it was medium with the T45 in BH. The outer limba the its job right giving a very good dwell time so you can generate spin in the ball. Sweet spot were very good for an all wood blade.

Block: In this aspect of the game the Fortius FT is very balanced between feel control and speed. Block is a child's play with the setup without any comprises.

Short play: Is very easy with this setup. I even thought the GF rubbers were insensitive for incoming spin compared to Tenergy rubbers which made the receiving game easier.

Flicks: With the limba top ply and the rubber combination getting grip in to the ball did not feel too difficult even on heavy backspin serves. Big thumbs up!

Mid distance: Here the Fortius FT is very balanced playing balls in low/medium arc. Trajectory was very decent, but it lacks in terms of speed compared to my W968 or Viscaria.

Conclusion: The Mizuno Fortius FT is a blade in the -OFF/OFF range. I will recommend this blade to players who plays close to mid distance from the table. It is minded for a close to the table looping game where spin and speed is very balanced. The blade has a medium feel and is relative stiff. It does not have a lot of vibration and have a lot of dwell. Compared to similar blades like the Stiga Clipper this blades have different thickness of plies and it does feel different from the Clipper. The Fortius FT is a heavy blade but balanced well even heavy rubbers. I would say this blade is a great value for the buck.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Giang,

Great review, seems like a fantastic blade for that price to. I was interested to see how you found it in comparison to your special carbon blades :) It sounds like a great blade for players who want to develop their game and who want spin and control over speed. Looking forward to your in-depth review on the new rubbers from Mizuno :)

This user has no status.
Oh no! Im being swarmed by EJ bugs :(
---

What an amazing blade! It does looks very close to Ludeack, even the plies thickness are the same i think. (but im sure ludeack is slower)
Too bad no one here sells it.

It is good to see those generic sports brands coming to TT and doing impressive apparel. Despite Adidas moving out, it sure left good impressions and exemples to be followed.
Thanks a lot for doing this review and im with Dan, looking foward for the rubbers review.

Grateful,
Raul Pacheco.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hey Giang,

Great review, seems like a fantastic blade for that price to. I was interested to see how you found it in comparison to your special carbon blades :) It sounds like a great blade for players who want to develop their game and who want spin and control over speed. Looking forward to your in-depth review on the new rubbers from Mizuno :)
Cheers Dan, I am glad that you liked it :)
It is definitely a competitor for players that are ready to take the next step from their all round blade to an off 7ply blade. My special blades are in another league though ;) Review of the rubbers will come very soon.

Nice review, after I following the Yuya oshima's phenomenon, I'm very interested in this blade but I can't find any depth-review. After I read your review, it would be suit for my game and like an easy to play blade. Thank you for a good review.
Hi there, happy to hear! :) The only catch is if you are used to lighter blades it will take a but time to adjust your timing on the ball. Unless you have the bicep of Hulk ;)

Oh no! Im being swarmed by EJ bugs :(
---

What an amazing blade! It does looks very close to Ludeack, even the plies thickness are the same i think. (but im sure ludeack is slower)
Too bad no one here sells it.

It is good to see those generic sports brands coming to TT and doing impressive apparel. Despite Adidas moving out, it sure left good impressions and exemples to be followed.
Thanks a lot for doing this review and im with Dan, looking foward for the rubbers review.

Grateful,
Raul Pacheco.
Hi Paccheco, yeah it is does look like Ludeack. Others also say that it reminds them of a blade from Xiom, but I do not remember which one. I total agree with you having generic brands coming into the sport. I would be healthy for the marked thus the prices that are increasing from the bigger brands.

As I said to Dan the review will be coming soon.

I stumpled by mytt and bumped into this thread. I do not know the seller though, but you could try to get in touch with him if you were interested?

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73438&title=fs-mizuno-fortius-ft-fl-93gr

Reactions: Suga D and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi Chris, thank you very much. The blade is faster and a tad stiff which means that it doesn't flex that much as the Infinity. It is a great 7ply blade. Doesn't feel hollow as many of the Stiga blades. Mine is up for sale with rubbers if you are interested. Only used it for 2 hours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi Giangt. Is this blade similar to most other limba - ayous blades? Can you compare it to say some Butterfly or Tibhar limba - ayous blades? Is it really easy for looping?
The plies are quite different thickness' compared to the classics like Clipper and SK7. The Fortius FT has medium feel perhaps more than both Clipper and SK7. It is not as stiff as Tibhar Samsonov Force and the pro version and again IMO the control is a nodge better.

Reactions: ridderz65