This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Hey guys, I found this interview by SD Sport with Wales' Charlotte Carey just thought I would share. The full thing is too big to paste so here is a short snippet. Read the full article: http://sdsport.co.uk/exclusive-interview-charlotte-carey/

21293129941_fc6418a9b5_z.jpg

Charlotte began playing table tennis at the age of nine, and she credits her Grandfather for introducing the sport to her, “My first coach was my Grandfather. He has always been someone I looked up to… [He] taught me the basics, then handed me over to more experienced coaches. But to this day he still helps out taking me to airports, tournaments and training and is very supportive.”
She was selected for the Welsh table tennis team to take part in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi aged just 14; it was then that she began to realise that a career in table tennis was a realistic ambition, “When I was 14 I had an idea that I wanted to play full-time but I was always told school was important and I also wanted to go to university. By the time I was 15 and finishing my GCSEs the idea became real and my parents supported my decision fully. I’d had conversations with National Coach, Ryan Jenkins and I had spoken with a Hungarian coach who managed to organise a place for me in a centre in Hungary.”

Training regimes for professional athletes are important not only to improve technical abilities, but also fitness. SD Sport asked Charlotte about her typical training session, “Every day I train on the table 2 hours in the morning, 10-12 and 2 hours in the evening 4-6. After the morning session we normally do some sort of fitness training like jumps or speed work.” She continued,“After the evening session we have service practice for half an hour and after that we normally play basketball or football just for a bit of fun and cardio training.”
“I have a very good and specific fitness programme that I use in the gym which covers all types of training and all muscles in the body. I have a core program too which I try to do after training every other day. At the weekends there’s normally a league match or competition but if not we train twice on a Saturday and have Sunday to rest.”