Advice on Shakehand Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
propetrov, you asked for advice and then when everyone gives you similar advice you argue with them. nonsense. but maybe you're right, maybe you play like a professional player. but if this is really the case, we should all be asking you for advice instead.

To be fair to ProPetrov, there are different schools of thought on this. But as others have wisely pointed out, and your point strongly supports this, if he is as good as he says, he should be getting this advice from those he plays around.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, in fairness to ProPetrov, I threw out an awful lot of information and he took it in pretty graciously even if he still felt he was higher rated than he thought I was aware of. Then I presented even more info.

The truth is, there are lots of ways of thinking of this subject. There are people who think: "I might as well get something fast now and learn to adapt to it!" I have heard coaches recommend this concept to players. Not ones I respect. But when you are newer and you hear that from someone, you might think it is the right approach too.

My ideas came from a bunch of places. It took me a while to slow my equipment down and use something that wasn't as fast and had more feeling. And I have gone back and fourth a few times.

I never liked carbon but I used to play with a Clipper. Then someone convinced me to switch to a slower wood blade for some of the reasons I have already explained. I used a Stiga Allround Classic for a short period and then Primorac Off-. The Primorac Off- was the best Primorac Off- I have felt. Others don't feel anywhere near as good. That blade was a present from the sponsored player who was trying to convince me to use a slower blade.

I used it for a few months and thought, I got what I was supposed to from the slow blade with feeling and dwell and went back to the speed I was addicted to and loved. I went back to that Clipper.

Then I had two different friends who are 2500 rated players who played on their cadet national team in the country they came from in Europe tell me that when they were kids being trained on their national team, the coach didn't ask what they wanted. He just gave them a setup that was for them. These players told me this without knowing the other one was telling me the same info. And they both were from different countries. They both were given 5 ply, flexy, Limba outer ply, all wood, Off- blades!!! Now they were both being trained to be pros. And that is what they were given and they probably were already about 1600!!!!

So that made me think. And I had a friend who was using a Stiga Allround Evolution and I tried it and really liked it. So I got one and played with that for a few years.

Ask Der_Echte about that blade. When I handed it to him he was saying how he hated Stiga blades and wasn't going to like it. But he liked it so much, he got one for himself.

Then a friend who was sponsored by Butterfly gave me a TB ZLF. I still love that blade. I played with it for about a year and a half. But then I decided I wanted to still be playing an all wood blade and tried 4 blades from OSP before settling on my OSP Virtuoso Plus. All 4 OSP blades would be fine for me. But I decided I like the V+ the best. Even though I do love the Virtuoso Off- as well and the custom blade they made me too.

So, anyway, I get the idea of not being able to know exactly what will be best for you. And I think ProPetrov is doing a good job asking for info and listening with an open mind.

After he weighs all the information, whatever he gets is going to be okay. If he got a ZJK ALC and plays with it for a few years, he still could, in the end think back to this information and decide to try a slower all wood blade.

I think Waldner was a kind of okay player. Better than most. He played most of his career with a 5 ply, Off-, all wood, flexy blade with a Limba top ply.

I personally wouldn't mind playing like Waldner. [emoji2]

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well... I'm not even a beginner and i play for longer than you. Can't really tell you a good OFF+ blade because i can't use them properly.

What i can tell you is that i try some fast bats (timo boll ALC, Stiga Rosewood, etc.) almost all with tenergy05 and i can't put enough spin before the ball exits the rubbers and i train 10 to 12h a week. I have asked more than once advices here and they all have been helpful.

I believe you can have natural talent for tabletennis and improve faster than all of us. But as Carl says not even Ma Long improves that fast.

BTW, i use a Sriver rubber and i think it goes very well with the new ball, specially in the BH (the guys here told me to use it as BH and. DAMM, they were right)