older players and their equipments

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Karakasevic Rubber

i just wonder if anybody know what equipment older top players are using? by older top players i mean, primorac, karakasevic, bojan tokic, saive and other older top players that still is active. i think it would be nice to know. hope somebody can help out!

Yes I'd really like to know what Karakasevic is using / doing with his rubber. The cork is so loud and he uses tons of speed glue technique in his strokes still vs the new style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Yes I'd really like to know what Karakasevic is using / doing with his rubber. The cork is so loud and he uses tons of speed glue technique in his strokes still vs the new style.

Karakasevic plays with GEWO Nexxus rubbers. If he does anything else but glue them to the blade, I don´t know, but it´s possible since boosting is common among professionals.

There is a Kara blade coming from GEWO (can´t give away the name yet ...) but whether he´ll play that, only God and Kara know. Recently, the blade of choice was Viscaria, and if the new one fails him chances are he´ll switch, like so many times before.

Tokic apparently plays Samsonov Stratus Carbon blade, and Evolution rubbers for sure, quite possibly MX-P 50 degree on both sides, backhand maybe softer. Tried 52,5 sponge also, so might be playing with that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Speaking of Kara, it would be interesting to know how hard this man have practiced in his youth and career. He seems to have very nice touch and feel for hitting the ball But he Do not seem so serious i think. Pretty fat for someone that actually plays for a living.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Speaking of Kara, it would be interesting to know how hard this man have practiced in his youth and career.

The balance is definetely on the side of talent, not hard work. ;)

But it´s not that he doesn´t practice at all.

He seems to have very nice touch and feel for hitting the ball

His hand is pretty much unrivaled, as is his understanding of the game.

Pretty fat for someone that actually plays for a living.

With a hand like that, you can compensate up to a certain point.

Just imagine this man with more practice and better footwork. But then he wouldn´t be Kara, that´s what he says ;)

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
He smokes three packs of cigarettes every day all his life and does not live very athletically.

Sorry to hear that. I am big fan of Karakasevic. Never knew that he smoked, however, that is a personal matter. I like to way he approaches serve receives and how he creates angles during rallies. Recently, i can only see him playing in the Challenger Series. Also, I noticed that he is not able to hit consecutive forehands. So after first opening, he will just place the ball on the table rather than going for another aggressive shot once again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I find it interesting that this man have not worked harder. Maybe he Did in his youth. Or else a abit of waste of talent. How come some work harder than others? Maybe to much talent=get alot for free=never learns to work hard?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I find it interesting that this man have not worked harder. Maybe he Did in his youth. Or else a abit of waste of talent. How come some work harder than others? Maybe to much talent=get alot for free=never learns to work hard?

I played at a club where Karakasevic came to play about the time I quit playing (adolescence and knee injury).

He did train fiercely then, put in the hours, and many international players came over to spar with him.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I played at a club where Karakasevic came to play about the time I quit playing (adolescence and knee injury).

He did train fiercely then, put in the hours, and many international players came over to spar with him.

Okey nice to hear that! Did you see What drills he did? Did he play forehand from the bh corner or Did he focus alot on bh like he does in his matches? Also interested in how hard he played. I find that he plays hard with alot of power in his matches.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Okey nice to hear that! Did you see What drills he did? Did he play forehand from the bh corner or Did he focus alot on bh like he does in his matches? Also interested in how hard he played. I find that he plays hard with alot of power in his matches.

I must admit I remember precious little of that time. It was a bad time for my TT - in fact so bad it stopped me playing for about 30 years.

Here's what I recall. Players in the first team changed over the course of a few years. An ambitious chairman and sponsor first got Bob Potton from Britain over to play (the UK had not cut itself off in an alternative universe in which it isn't part of Europe yet, then), we had young local(ish) developing talent (Theo van Gasteren, Han Gootzen), there was a controversial transfer of another young talent, Eric Winnubst. Bettine Vriesekoop came to train every now and then, and at some point a national championship was in the air but we didn't take it until 1986. With more personnel changes; John Hilton played for a few seasons, and I believe when Edwin Angenent, Aleksander Karakasevic and Huang Jiangho ("Johnny Huang") also came in the picture we took that title and quite nearly fell short of winning the europacup, losing out to the then-world champion Jörgen Persson's Düsseldorf team.

Anyway, the training. I was part of that group, but not the "A" selection. What I mainly recall of it was a lot of serve/receive/third ball kill, a lot of footwork drills, a strong focus on FH power, and the persistent smell of rubber cement glue. My memory doesn't particularly single out Karakasevic in that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
When Did you stop and start to play again? Interested about your thoughts regarding rule and material changes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
His father Milivoj Karakasevic was a great worker,and he is much greater talent than his father,but he is not a hard worker as his father.His father played with Surbek and Stipancic for the national team of the former Yugoslavia.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
he didn't have the talent that waldner, persson, timo boll or ma long had.... clearly.

I think the talent is on a par, the will to work is not.

Kara, for example, is a player who can get himself high on his own shots, if all is going well. Magic. And he´ll be King Kara, center of the room.
If it is not going well, he just lets it go sometimes. And you might just not want to be near him and ask an unwanted question ;)

When he was going for third place in the European Championships a few years ago, you could see it really mattered. The semi-final he just seemed to throw away then.

Great guy, anyway.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
When Did you stop and start to play again? Interested about your thoughts regarding rule and material changes.

I stopped more or less in '84, had a hard time quitting even though injured and in the end got disgusted. I tried to train seriously every now and then, but was hampered and restricted in movement right at the point that I felt I really needed to put in the hours to cope with growing stronger, taller, and less agile. My peers developed, and I got deeply frustrated.

This was already after the two-color rule got introduced of course. And the tightening of the service rules. The two color rule forced me to change rubbers right at the time when I was gaining strength and learning to maximize FH power transfer, and that's when my injury started. I have my reasons for disliking that rule.

In the meanwhile I had a very short bout while studying, about 10 years later at a club in a college town. The atmosphere of that club was unfriendly to "outsiders", just regulars playing the odd game as an excuse for beer and cardplay throughout the evening. Tried it for a few months then turned away in renewed disgust again, not being able to make any headway there.

I started to play again late 2015 or early 2016, having moved to a smaller town. Life had happened inbetween, and I had raised two children. When I started suspecting they had grown up enough to survive a few hours without me in the evenings, I checked out a local club in a nearby town. This time I found a welcome environment, with a few people eager to play. (I now chair that club. So it goes.)

That was right about the time the celluloid 40mm ball was replaced by plastic ones. I haven't played much with 40mm celluloid for that reason. I did find the "new game" different, and I missed the spin level and the greater penetrative power of the 38mm ball. The first year I played, I found the overall quality of the balls very poor. A lot of "eggs", irregular bounces, and I've had several balls just fall apart by hitting them at that time.

After a while that improved; ball quality improved, what we're playing with now is predictable and consistent. And I've come like some of the effects the ball has on the game; in general, it seems to me a typical rally often takes one decisive stroke extra, after the one that would have sealed it before. It keeps me hanging in there, and constantly reminds me of the need to reset-to-position. In some senses I'm a more powerful and complete player than in peak youth form, but of course age brings its limits.

What I found hard to adapt to (and still find) is the service rule. I've been so deeply trained in types of deception that are now "illegal" that consistently serving with good quality in an acceptable fashion remains challenging.

Another thing that took a while, probably related to the 40mm ball, is the hugely increased speed and elasticity/explosiveness of the "modern" rubbers, i.e. the ones from the last two decades or so that pretty much all attackers use. Way back when I started out with Mark V on an Offensive Wood blade, and got scolded by my coach because that was considered crazy fast. That same setup would now be seen as a slow and dull allround one.

It took me a year or so to get my technique recalibrated, to hit with full consistency again. Footwork and game smarts take a bit longer.

Another change, in the meantime, is that after I quit the backhand got activated more and more. That trend was already starting, early 80s, but still, the BH kept the ball in play, the FH opened it up and killed it. We flicked on both wings, and spinned on both wings, but not like we're doing now. Being prepared to play a second-ball countering game against aggressive service openers was a new dimension for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I think the talent is on a par, the will to work is not.

Kara, for example, is a player who can get himself high on his own shots, if all is going well. Magic. And he´ll be King Kara, center of the room.
If it is not going well, he just lets it go sometimes. And you might just not want to be near him and ask an unwanted question ;)

When he was going for third place in the European Championships a few years ago, you could see it really mattered. The semi-final he just seemed to throw away then.

Great guy, anyway.

you think you can beat liu guoliang in a world championship without training?
is this thread a joke or what?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited: