DHS Hurricane Long 5 vs Butterfly Viscaria

DHS Hurricane Long 5 vs Butterfly Viscaria

• DHS Hurricane Long 5

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Butterfly Viscaria

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
What is the difference between these 2 blades?

I know they are both OFF+ and they are made from 5 plies of wood and 2 of Alyrate Carbon.

schl5.jpg

- DHS Hurricane Long 5, used by Ma Long and Fang Bo.

sbvis.jpg

- Butterfly Viscaria, used by Zhang Jike and Fan Zhendong.

Last edited:
Viscaria is an off blade not off+, for H5 idk for sure but i guess h5 is in off category as well.

Looking at both blade's composition:
DHS Hurricane Long 5 7 94 5.9 Limba Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>

Butterfly Viscaria 7 90 5.8 Koto Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Kiri Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Koto

<tbody>
</tbody>

I believe Viscaria is more faster as it has koto outer veneer which is more harder compare to limba that h5 has. Also the alc in viscaria is much closer to the outer plies while h5 is more sandwiched down inside near the core.
Lastly is the price, h5 price is almost a double of viscaria. If you are not Malong fanboys i suggest you to get Viscaria over H5 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ProPetrov
I ve played with both ....
HL-5 has a thinner handle / Viscaria has a slighty thicker one
HL-5 control is very good / Viscaria control is OK
HL-5 is slightly head heavy / Viscaria is blanced
HL-5 carbon layer is away from the outer surface, giving good feel/control for close table shots / Viscaria carbon is closer to outer surface
Hl-5 outer layer is limba (soft) / Viscaria outer layer is koto (hard) ... chose which you feel better

mid distance and away from the table, HL-5 is more stable, consistent than in strokes than Viscaria

Viscaria is an off blade not off+, for H5 idk for sure but i guess h5 is in off category as well.

DHS Hurricane Long 5 7 94 5.9 Limba Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>

Butterfly Viscaria 7 90 5.8 Koto Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Kiri Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Koto

<tbody>
</tbody>

I believe Viscaria is more faster as it has koto outer veneer which is more harder compare to limba that h5 has. Also the alc in viscaria is much closer to the outer plies while h5 is more sandwiched down inside near the core.
Lastly is the price, h5 price is almost a double of viscaria. If you are not Malong fanboys i suggest you to get Viscaria over H5 :D

I have both blades. If you already switched to 40+ ball, you should go with HL5. Somehow the limba layer allows you to easily spin the ball better.

Reasons:
FH: (played with H3)
- larger sweet spot
- Very easy to impart spin, (slow spinny loop)
- Produce extremely low arc, which gives you incredible shot
- Can easily loop kill a no spin incoming ball (which is very hard for Viscaria)
BH:
- Excellent for blocking
- BH loop gives you a lot of spin and low arc
- Punch Block gives you perfect feeling.

However, the Long 5 feels weird when you play with the regular celluloid ball. :). And i also hate the handle, it gives me blisters. :)

I still prefer my Viscaria!
Reasons:
FH: (Played with H3)
- Lots of feedback for my shots
- The more force you exert, the more spin you get, not speed
- My FH is more compact, doesn't have to do more follow through like i do with HL5
BH:
- Best control
- On table BH loop + flicks give you short, low arc, and spinny ball. (most of my opponents can do nothing but block it back to me)
- Short push is perfect
- BH counter on the table (top spin wrist flick) is incredible.

However, with the regular 40+ ball, Vis is prolly not your choice! But the new Nitakku 40+ ball gives me hopes! :)

Cheers,

Reactions: ProPetrov

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

My current blade is Limba - KevlarCarbon - Limba - Balsa - Limba - KevlarCarbon - Limba

It's not bad but the sweet spot is very small and playing with the plastic ball is not easy, because it was designed for celluloid.

I have both blades. If you already switched to 40+ ball, you should go with HL5. Somehow the limba layer allows you to easily spin the ball better.

Reasons:
FH: (played with H3)
- larger sweet spot
- Very easy to impart spin, (slow spinny loop)
- Produce extremely low arc, which gives you incredible shot
- Can easily loop kill a no spin incoming ball (which is very hard for Viscaria)
BH:
- Excellent for blocking
- BH loop gives you a lot of spin and low arc
- Punch Block gives you perfect feeling.

However, the Long 5 feels weird when you play with the regular celluloid ball. :). And i also hate the handle, it gives me blisters. :)

I still prefer my Viscaria!
Reasons:
FH: (Played with H3)
- Lots of feedback for my shots
- The more force you exert, the more spin you get, not speed
- My FH is more compact, doesn't have to do more follow through like i do with HL5
BH:
- Best control
- On table BH loop + flicks give you short, low arc, and spinny ball. (most of my opponents can do nothing but block it back to me)
- Short push is perfect
- BH counter on the table (top spin wrist flick) is incredible.

However, with the regular 40+ ball, Vis is prolly not your choice! But the new Nitakku 40+ ball gives me hopes! :)

Cheers,
In Spain almost everyone uses plastic ball, like 90% of the tournaments are played with plastic balls.

My playing style is something like Wang Liqin and Xu Xin, (forehand oriented game).

I ve played with both ....
HL-5 has a thinner handle / Viscaria has a slighty thicker one
HL-5 control is very good / Viscaria control is OK
HL-5 is slightly head heavy / Viscaria is blanced
HL-5 carbon layer is away from the outer surface, giving good feel/control for close table shots / Viscaria carbon is closer to outer surface
Hl-5 outer layer is limba (soft) / Viscaria outer layer is koto (hard) ... chose which you feel better

mid distance and away from the table, HL-5 is more stable, consistent than in strokes than Viscaria
Does the handle really make a difference?

Because I haven't used many blades and my hands are big, will this be a problem if I go for HL-5?

Both are good blades, but it's better for you to try those blade first to know what suits you since both blade aren't cheap especially the HL5
I know, but that will be hard, because in my club they mostly use Butterfly Timo Boll OFF-. There is a guy though, that uses Butterfly Michael Maze, It's made of ALC, so I think the experience is similar :)

Michael Maze composition is quite similar to hl5 accept there's a different in limba wood in maze while hl5 has ayous. as well as the location of the alc
Butterfly Michael Maze 7 89 5.9 Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Ayous Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>
It's hard to find maze alc now since it's discontinued

I know, but that will be hard, because in my club they mostly use Butterfly Timo Boll OFF-. There is a guy though, that uses Butterfly Michael Maze, It's made of ALC, so I think the experience is similar :)

You should consider innerforce alc it's almost has similar plies composition and overall thickness like hl5
Butterfly Innerforce ALC 7 88 5.9 Limba Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>

But i guess the headsize and hl5 handle will make it play differently from innerforce alc.

btw If you are keep on insisting to choose between HL5 or Viscaria, I guess you should go for HL5 if budget isn't your problem as it made much updated for new plastic ball era.
Viscaria is an old blade it was firstly made around 90's around 1992 if I'm not mistakenly read from other forum, but still Viscaria is a great blade that suits controlled offensive game.
Once again it's best for you to try it one by one by yourself.
I'm so sorry if i cant help much since I never tried HL5 and no one in my club has it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
hl5 says nothing really.
it's like a regular 5 ply blade.
also the head is super big and the handle is super thin.

viscaria is different.
with euro rubbers it matches much better.
it produces more spin and speed.
but has a bit less control.

nobody mentions this but the most important difference between the two is not where the carbon is or koto vs limba.
the most important difference is viscaria has a bit fat kiri core while hl5 has a ayous core.
kiri and ayous are like night and day.
kiri is closer to balsa in feel and gives more power and more bounciness.
ayous, well it's the most used wood, like for stiga offensive classic, butterfly korbel, stiga clipper and so on.
it's great, tons of control but today most pros are moving away from it to kiri core blades.

ma long.... well on one side you can see how much control he's got with the hl5, that's a big part of his success.
and also he boosts like hell that's why he uses a super control blade.

I remember using very old tenergy 05 on zjk alc blade and it felt ok, felt like it had much life left.
then moved those old rubbers to hl5 and it felt so bad.
no spin, no power....

Last edited:
hl5 says nothing really.

viscaria is different.

nobody mentions this but the most important difference between the two is not where the carbon is or koto vs limba.
the most important difference is viscaria has a bit fat kiri core while hl5 has a ayous core.
ayous, well it's the most used wood, like for stiga offensive classic, butterfly korbel, stiga clipper and so on.
it's great, tons of control but today most pros are moving away from it to kiri core blades.

ma long.... well on one side you can see how much control he's got with the hl5, that's a big part of his success.

I remember using very old tenergy 05 on zjk alc blade and it felt ok, felt like it had much life left.
no spin, no power....
I will be using H3 on forehand and Tibhar Evolution EL-P or Tenergy 05 on backhand.
I was looking for a blade with speed but also with control, so probably the best option for me is HL-5, but I'm not sure yet.
I've made a poll BTW XD

This user has no status.
I will be using H3 on forehand and Tibhar Evolution EL-P or Tenergy 05 on backhand.
I was looking for a blade with speed but also with control, so probably the best option for me is HL-5, but I'm not sure yet.
I've made a poll BTW XD

I was once using Viscaria like how many weeks ago haha!
then someone introduced me to Nexy I was skeptical at first
I tried their newest arylate-carbon blade the Akrasia
Transplanted my rubbers there, Hurricane 3 and Tenergy 05
I did not feel that the blade was fast until my teammates started complaining
it has a lot of control than my Viscaria and Mizutani
You should give it a try :)

hl5 says nothing really.

viscaria is different.

no spin, no power....

Well about that kiri vs ayous core, most of blade out there are mostly made from ayous core lets say stiga,dhs,donic,yasaka and other are mostly using ayous as their core, Meanwhile kiri is mostly use by Japanese Blade Manufacturer like Butterfly or Nittaku. So i guess your statement about pros moving away from ayous to kiri isn't that true.

Kiri is much dense than ayous and balsa, It's much heavier as well. Balsa is the lighest and fastest but yet it can get teared up easily or even when you push your finger to balsa core in your blade it will leave some dent :D. I had a balsa core blade before which is the Tibhar Black Carbon and it's one of the worst carbon blade that I ever tried.

BTW MaLong's blade is w997(national version of HL5) and it's specially manufactured based on MaLong's wish so it's not the same as HL5 in commercial market.

Michael Maze composition is quite similar to hl5 accept there's a different in limba wood in maze while hl5 has ayous. as well as the location of the alc
Butterfly Michael Maze 7 89 5.9 Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Ayous Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>
It's hard to find maze alc now since it's discontinued

Plus it's almost impossible to find one within the 94-97 gr range. Too bad, it's such a nice blade! :)

This user has no status.
There is some confusion here with the diagrams.

1) HL5 is not as described, it is more like innerforce ALC, so Limba - Limba - ALC - Ayous - ALC - Limba - Limba

2) Maze is Limba - ALC - Limba - Ayous - Limba - ALC

3) Viscaria, as decribed above, is quite different with Koto - ALC - Limba - Kiri - Limba - ALC - Koto

The HL5 has a bigger head, but is very balanced.

I find Limba to be better than Koto for my game, as I spin a lot, and I prefer the increased dwell time. I can play with Koto no problem, but I feel more control with Limba.

I have played with Viscaria, then moved on to Maze, and enjoyed the additional control and spin. I have now just got a HL5 which I enjoy very much (although I just started using it). I prefer the ALC closer to the core, so the blade is very soft on touch play, but come into life and hardens when playing with more power / away from the table.

I have never played with IF ALC, so might give it a go one day...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it is also worth knowing that we really have no way of knowing exactly what the pros are using. I don't really love that idea. But when someone goes out and buys a Viscaria because ZJK is using something that looks like one, or goes out and buys an HL5 because ML is said to be using that, well,
.....maybe not.

ZJK's blade is rumored to be a custom blade with a Viscaria handle. It could be like a commercial Viscaria or not. We don't really know. We also don't know how heavy it is. If the blade face is a bit larger or smaller.

ML is said to be playing a W997 blade or a W986 blade. But can you get one that is like the one he is using?

It is also possible that, when any pro chooses a blade, they may try 10, 20, 30, to choose 3 or 4 to use.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
Reactions: Olio and NextLevel