Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Butterfly Viscaria

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
There is some confusion here with the diagrams.

1) HL5 is not as described, it is more like innerforce ALC, so Limba - Limba - ALC - Ayous - ALC - Limba - Limba

2) Maze is Limba - ALC - Limba - Ayous - Limba - ALC

3) Viscaria, as decribed above, is quite different with Koto - ALC - Limba - Kiri - Limba - ALC - Koto

The HL5 has a bigger head, but is very balanced.

I find Limba to be better than Koto for my game, as I spin a lot, and I prefer the increased dwell time. I can play with Koto no problem, but I feel more control with Limba.

I have played with Viscaria, then moved on to Maze, and enjoyed the additional control and spin. I have now just got a HL5 which I enjoy very much (although I just started using it). I prefer the ALC closer to the core, so the blade is very soft on touch play, but come into life and hardens when playing with more power / away from the table.

I have never played with IF ALC, so might give it a go one day...

maze has kiri core like viscaria.
maze and viscaria are extremely similar.

hl5 is more like using a clipper or a stiga ebenholz.
hl5 feels almost like all wood blade.
if you want to put it that way hl5 is actually a clipper, they just removed 3rd layer of wood and put arylate/carbon instead.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Another thing to understand. The equipment a top pro uses and the equipment a mid-level intermediate player should use are usually not the same thing. [emoji2]

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
suprised im not seeing comments about how the old viscarias are better. Never used hurricane long 5 myself. Never had a chance. I'd like to though.

biggest problem with viscaria to me is only being able to have it in flared handle. its that or spend a lot more for a special ordered one.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
maze has kiri core like viscaria.
maze and viscaria are extremely similar.

hl5 is more like using a clipper or a stiga ebenholz.
hl5 feels almost like all wood blade.
if you want to put it that way hl5 is actually a clipper, they just removed 3rd layer of wood and put arylate/carbon instead.

I don't believe it's a kiri core. And I'm not the only one to think that...
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1424-Michael-Maze-Blade

Already, you should not compare Clipper and Ebenholtz. Apart from being made of wood by Stiga, they are very different beasts. Let alone comparing HL5 to Clipper. Even though they have common wood layers.

I've just gone from Maze to Clipper to HL5. You comparison is not valid at all. Yes it has quite a woody feel on touch play, but you cannot compare HL5 with Clipper. Far too rigid, less dwell... When you're away from the table (a step or more), the HL5 has got unbelievable power. The Clipper doesn't. And the clipper has more feedback (more vibration).

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Viscaria is an off blade not off+, for H5 idk for sure but i guess h5 is in off category as well.

Looking at both blade's composition:
DHS Hurricane Long 5 7 94 5.9 Limba Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Ayous Limba

<tbody>
</tbody>

Butterfly Viscaria 7 90 5.8 Koto Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Limba Kiri Limba Arylate-Carbon (ALC) Koto

<tbody>
</tbody>

I believe Viscaria is more faster as it has koto outer veneer which is more harder compare to limba that h5 has. Also the alc in viscaria is much closer to the outer plies while h5 is more sandwiched down inside near the core.
Lastly is the price, h5 price is almost a double of viscaria. If you are not Malong fanboys i suggest you to get Viscaria over H5 :D

About ply composition do you know each ply thickness of Hurricane Long 5?