Why are Evolution rubbers still less popular than tenergy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I've used MX-P for a few months, and recently tried Tenergy 05. I found the MX-p is faster, more spinny yet still is more controllable. Others tried it and agreed. It's been a few years since it's release, and I assume most people agree with me, so why is Tenergy still so popular?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Probably because of marketing and many top players use it so it's an attractive product.

I use tenergy myself but next time I will try the MX-p rubber and if I like it I'll probably stick to it as it's cheaper.
Maybe over time the evolution rubbers will become more popular often these changes are gradual.

I've used MX-P for a few months, and recently tried Tenergy 05. I found the MX-p is faster, more spinny yet still is more controllable. Others tried it and agreed. It's been a few years since it's release, and I assume most people agree with me, so why is Tenergy still so popular?
Because the 90% of the pro players use Tenergy, but this is changing. The spanish pros are starting to use Evolution instead of Tenergy, I think in other countries is happening the same. IMO Butterfly should reduce the price of the Tenergy rubbers :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Because the comments are filled with bullshit and hype, and while its a good quality premium rubber it's not in anyway way unique as often described in the reviews. It's ok though as long people who use it, like it for its high throw characteristics and shit rather than being a Butterfly Tenergy fan boy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I guess it will take a lot of time before pros change tenergy to tibhar evolution ... and players around the world are ever looking at pro's devices, it's a human habit.

And I guess too that tibhar will increase their prices rather than butterfly reduce them, it's a commercial strategy of increase reliability and then increase prices !

Last edited:
Reactions: iHatePONGPING
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
At the pro level, Tenergy 05 is still the better rubber, though MX-P is coming close. The key thing is what happens when you hit and spin the ball really hard. Most rubber have sponges that collapse or topsheets that cannot handle the stress of the spin and power. Tenergy 05 does best because of its special sponge, and MX-P is not too shabby, especially on the topsheet part, though likely less so on the power part. Again these are spin and speed at the highest levels, not things that most of us deal with.

I am testing a blade with MX-P and it is a fantastic rubber. I think people whose technique can support it should definitely use it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think what NextLevel has said is probably right on target. The better you are, the more you realize how good Tenergy is.

That being said, I am pretty happy with MX-P and probably couldn't get more from Tenergy than I get from MX-P.

But they are both darn good rubbers. It is nice that there is something that is really close to as good that it makes little difference which you use.

And even though MX-P is about as good as Tenergy, they are not very much alike. So MX-P is not just an imitation. It is its own thing.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: Anders
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I have a few minutes with rhis rubbers and the mx-p is good rubber... Practically all was good ... But tenergy 05 just shine.... I was realy surprised how confident this rubber is for attack. But still i played only a few minutes with them..... The price is only one thing which holds me back..... I ordered the dhs tg3-60 ... After this one i can considering to buy tenergy... But i still hoping the tg3-60will be the best for my bh.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Multiple reasons why T05 dominates the TT rubber market...

First reason is that it is still the most dynamic inverted rubber capable of spin and control and feel.

Next come the other reasons we have discussed, such as the marketing, the consumer market opinion and view of BTY, the huge number of pros using it (never comprehend why that will blindly win over consumers but it sure does)... all this despite the product being double the fair market price/value it should be... but whatever, market equilibrium takes over and T05 has been on market for almost a decade, so the market is willing to have the price of T05 where it is and it is still the single leading rubber sold and used in the market, so that says a lot about the economics, which I feel are largely influenced by irrational psycho-subliminal stuff, like zombie NSA Spy phones unwittingly transmitting EJ buy impulse wavelengths.

Evolution and Aurus are the rubbers I settled on when I was no longer willing to spend $50 USD for a FH rubber. Heck, even $50 was way too much than I was willing to pay, but I rationalized it by telling myself I used a $8 BH rubber that lasted months, so Ii could afford a $50 rubber on Fh every month with the cost savings... so for 6 months or so, I did that and liked it and played very well... but when BTY jacked up the shyt outta the price, I looked at other rubbers.

Evo series is not the same as Tenergy and its dynamics are different. I think it is pretty much the best performance/value if you can get it under $50 a sheet, but let's not get crazy and say it is the best stuff on the market.

I still have not gotten a prototype sample of Nexy's new made in Japan rubber that is supposed to be a fusion of the best of both worlds of topsheet and sponge physical construction... gunna hafta write an app to send more wavelengths to Nexy Korea president.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
How would the evolution series rubbers hold up on a limba/ayous made blade? Like korbel or stratus powerwood? Do they work well on these softer blades?

USDCarl plays w/ MX-P on a Virtuoso+ (Limba and Ayous, I think). At some point though, you just need to try it out for awhile and see if it "works" for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Well from what i see, i feel like people use tenergy just becauses its expensive and because the pros use it. Being a MX-P user, i feel like this rubber is the same as tenergy, but at a lower price. Tenergy for be is good, but the price is just not worth it. Since many think its the best, pros use tenergy as they are most likely sponsored, causing them to get them for free.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have played with both. MX-P is the only rubber not named Tenergy 05 that I feel like I could use. I still prefer T05, not so much for performance, but for the why it feels when I hit the ball. Also, for me at least, I feel like T-05 retains its performance a bit longer. Still, it does surprise me a bit that MX-P has not gained a bit more market share especially for the price. I would rather pay less than more, and there is a price point where I will switch to MX-P and it's close to it, but not quite there yet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

It takes a long time to displace a well-established market leader, especially in a market that is so fragmented. We are talking about hundreds of rubbers going against T05, more or less.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Well from what i see, i feel like people use tenergy just becauses its expensive and because the pros use it. Being a MX-P user, i feel like this rubber is the same as tenergy, but at a lower price. Tenergy for be is good, but the price is just not worth it. Since many think its the best, pros use tenergy as they are most likely sponsored, causing them to get them for free.

It's no use blaming the money for the sake of the pros.. If you are at that level, you want to use what works best for you, and if that rubbers name is Tenergy05, you use that rubber, regardless of what brand's sponsoring you, because being a pro, you have the access to any rubber out there if you just call that guy and know the secret handshake he uses.

For mid-level players and lower, you may be right that it's okay to play with a substitute for what you would normally use because it's cheaper.. But for them top pros, they play what is best for them, if the rubber's called Airoc, Tenergy, MX-P, Rasant og Hurricane - it doesn't matter :)

The thing about the Tenergy, it's got that special feel that no rubber has, and it lasts long, and it's also stabile when it comes to performance. Many other rubbers ain't that stabile, the rubber reacts different to the same impact on the same ball, but the Tenergy does this less than other rubbers. Meaning you can really rely on this rubber. Ofc other rubbers have this characteristics to, but in different forms. So again, the pros don't use this rubber because they are sponsored, they use it because it is the best. Hobby players and even som rocket engineering forum members miight use it because of the money and reputation, but yeah..

Hope you got my point and I didn't offend you, I wouldn't like to get chased by the infamous goon squad this time a day :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anders isn't doing anything (YET) to get the GOON SQUADS after him... but he is surely askin' for the GEEK SQUAD to nail him. Geek Squad is worse, they do not try frontal assualts and are shadow people - you don't know where they are coming from, but give TTD some time, we will make an app to lure and funnel them to a pre-determined point and get them to jump off the Brooklyn bridge all at the same time while NYC based Abe and Carl take pics.

This user has no status.
I'll have to agree about the feel and the reliability. I've played with the Rakza series, Xiom Europe and H3 Neo. When I finally found a lighter blade to offset the extra weight of the Tenergy I have to say the feeling of the loop is amazing. The way it pops off with speed and spin is a noticeable step up. It also just feels like it will last long and keep on performing. T05 and T64 are both great on the FH. Not sure why people say T64 is a bh rubber because I find it amazing on the FH as well.

I have some Rasant grip, Bluefire M1 and Calibra M tour to try out on my FH. I bought them before the T05 & 64. I doubt that they will convince me to change though.I agree with the price opinion. Tenergy is a high end rubber but not worth the huge price over similar tensors. I find it insane that you can purchase a Butterfly blade and rubber set up for more than a sweet guitar or a really good tennis racket. Not only that, but seeing tiny plastic balls costing more than tennis balls.

The thing about the Tenergy, it's got that special feel that no rubber has, and it lasts long, and it's also stabile when it comes to performance. Many other rubbers ain't that stabile, the rubber reacts different to the same impact on the same ball, but the Tenergy does this less than other rubbers. Meaning you can really rely on this rubber.

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I'll have to agree about the feel and the reliability. I've played with the Rakza series, Xiom Europe and H3 Neo. When I finally found a lighter blade to offset the extra weight of the Tenergy I have to say the feeling of the loop is amazing. The way it pops off with speed and spin is a noticeable step up. It also just feels like it will last long and keep on performing. T05 and T64 are both great on the FH. Not sure why people say T64 is a bh rubber because I find it amazing on the FH as well.

I have some Rasant grip, Bluefire M1 and Calibra M tour to try out on my FH. I bought them before the T05 & 64. I doubt that they will convince me to change though.I agree with the price opinion. Tenergy is a high end rubber but not worth the huge price over similar tensors. I find it insane that you can purchase a Butterfly blade and rubber set up for more than a sweet guitar or a really good tennis racket. Not only that, but seeing tiny plastic balls costing more than tennis balls.

Yeah, I get your point, and also as you said, you don't see the point spending that money.. And that is my point exactly, if you don't see the point, you most probably ain't no pro, and if you ain't no pro and feel you can do just as good with something else, then you don't need no Tenergy, in general terms that is :)

Haha Der_Echte, guess I'll have to look out for hidden pop-up links to dark TT forums in the future. Beware of the geek squads!

Wait, is that Fan Zhendong over there? Gotta go!