Pro Players And Sponsorship: What Do You Think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
So in the end if you are kreanga for example, and decide to play with a stiga rubber butterfly has more to lose than you do. You also can expose them in an interview which is very bad publicity for the company, but if they keep you they can keep selling their tenergies, not a few but tons of them, because kreanga plays with tenergy and all the kids/players who admire him, are getting inspired so they buy tenergy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I like seeing that. If stiga were to force a top player to use their equipment and then their rating went down because of it, that would be terrible publicity for stiga. So let the player use what they like with stigas name.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I don't see it has such a big problem, I feel that sponsorship is much more then just the equipment. Of course if would be better if the players use their own sponsor but I can understand that players on that level don't want to take any risks and play with equipment they don't feel 100% comfortable with. I don't care that much if Fan not using the Infinity Vps or that Ovtcharov plays with a stiga clipper and with Butterflys Tenergy rubbers. Using the same blade as your biggest fan does not make you better, hard work will maybe do.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I actually don't think that happens in other sports. The players get sponsorships from the companies whose equipment they want to use. What else is the sponsorship about?

Actually it does.. I know from some years ago in the Norwegian league that a whole team was sponsored by Adidas, but some of the players did not like their boots, so they got customised Nike boots that looked like Adidas, or the other way.. Became a huge scandal here.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't give a flying shyt WHAT a pro uses, whether it is the stuff a company gave them for free or whatever he likes... I am more interested in WHY they make the choices they make and how it works for them. We got a decent grip on that, but more players' perspectives are always valuable.

Besides, with all the trickery in blade handles and such, it gives forumers stuff to endlesssly debate. Look for another vid from D-Top real soon Carl, you'll luv it.

If there weren't unauthorized pro and national versions, we would have less to talk about and less fun with goon squads.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to say, I do think table tennis is a unique example because the equipment is so specialized and it is pretty common for someone who just uses whatever they want to use a blade from one company and rubbers from one or even two other companies. It is too bad they don't really have players sponsored for blades and rubbers separately. And it really is true that, for so long Tenergy has been the rubber used by more pros than any other. Which has caused more pro players to use Tenergy even when they are sponsored by another company.

But I think this information from Anders is pretty good to know.

Actually it does.. I know from some years ago in the Norwegian league that a whole team was sponsored by Adidas, but some of the players did not like their boots, so they got customised Nike boots that looked like Adidas, or the other way.. Became a huge scandal here.

I guess I was being naive.

But I guess it is also interesting to me to hear how okay so many people seem to be with the pros lying to sell products they don't even use and the companies lying as well.

Reactions: Suga D
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What ??? A company LIE about something to sell a product... the legal term is FLUFFING UP a product and it is commonly known as MARKETING.

Now if we common folk lie it is known as treason or purgury... but if an elected official lies about millions... it is known as POLITICS.

Ready for a gold's comment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I agree with most of TTfrenzy's thread above.

This whole thread is shows how gullible and superstitious people are. ( a general theme of mine if you haven't noticed ).
TT equipment was like cars it would be easy to tell which is the fastest and corners the best. It is so obvious to me that the manufacturer/sponsors are relying on the fact that if a player wins with their product then their product must be the best. Never mind the fact that the car you can buy is not the one on the race track. Are the rubbers you buy the same ones the top players use or do they get extra treatment that lasts only long enough for the match?

It would be much cheaper to test rubbers side by side like PathfinderPro does and prove that rubber A is faster and spinnier than rubber B but it is obvious the TT manufacturers avoid direct comparisons because the results would probably be embarrassing for both the TT manufacturers and the players that believed their hype. Also, the TT users are not educated enough to understand what the test prove or seem to care. People still make comments that contradict PathfinderPro's findings. Then there is the so what factor because everyone has their preferences and may not like the fastest or spinniest rubber even though the TT manufacturers want you to believe that every new rubber is faster and spinnier than their previous rubber.

In short I agree the TT manufacturers need to get endorsements or sponsor players. Product comparison tests tests won't work.

I disagree that the sponsors take advantage of the players. No one forces a player to make a deal or sign contracts. People make deals when they benefit both parties. Part of the deal should be that the player uses at least some of the sponsor's products or what is in it for the sponsor. The player should make sure he can play with the sponsor's products before signing the deal.

Reactions: BeGo and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Brabhamista's is an excerpt. Sorry I did not use the whole quote but it was long and only a small part was about the subject. I hope you don't feel this is out of context. But feel free to elaborate on your position.
It is a little bit out of context, but I don't mind. Your angle is interesting and lead to a great discussion. :)

I do have a few comments, but can't take part now as I'm away from home. I'll be back in a few days so I'll jump in then :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is a little bit out of context, but I don't mind. Your angle is interesting and lead to a great discussion. :)

I do have a few comments, but can't take part now as I'm away from home. I'll be back in a few days so I'll jump in then :)

Thanks for getting why I did it. I look forward to hearing your comments when you have time. I do think this is a complex subject.

Reactions: brabhamista