Kick serve - with deception inspired from Wang Hao's

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone, accomodating some essence of Wang hao's kick serve, I made this video trying to share you my best. Again, some of them looked illegal to me. Overall, to execute this serve, was a tough experience to me, as most of them ended up hitting the net. I still dodn't understand why, I included only the good ones in the video. Hope you like and please share your views!

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Nice serves there Siva! These serves were very popular when I was growing up as a junior. You can really get good deception on the backspin and topspin (kick) serve with little variation in the action. Have you seen Gavin Rumgay, Craig Bryant or Par Gerell's serve? These guys have mastered the kick serve, would be good to check them out for other examples for you to look at for you :)

Nice serves there Siva! These serves were very popular when I was growing up as a junior. You can really get good deception on the backspin and topspin (kick) serve with little variation in the action. Have you seen Gavin Rumgay, Craig Bryant or Par Gerell's serve? These guys have mastered the kick serve, would be good to check them out for other examples for you to look at for you :)

Hi Dan [emoji2]

Funny for you to mention Craig Bryant serve I went to a Westfield TTC camp earlier in the year and Craig Bryant was one of the coaches I managed to get him to do a few serves against me they were very very deceptive and I really struggled against them but when he showed me what he was doing from his point of view they looked very simple action wise, just shows how easy an action before/after of making contact with the ball can change the perspective of what spin the opposition thinks is on it.

Siva, have you by any chance checked out Werner Schlager serve tutorials on YouTube he explains how Mizutani differs from heavy topspin to heavy backspin with the same action well worth the watch. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hey Dan, thanks for your commet. In my experience with the serve, i was not able to serve the topspin with the same motion. What could be the reason?

What I was doing to get heavy back and side spin is to contact the lower hemisphere slightly tiled for the heavy back-side spin and the side of the ball for heavy sidepsin. I wonder how PAr gerell does the top spin togther. If i do contact the top of the ball it produces the ball jumps too high and it is an easy prey. I ll check with Gavin Rumpery and craig bryan in youtube. May they got some interestng stuff to teach through their plaz :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hey pricey, You touched the right chord, I maximised my serving skills only after watching Werner's schlagers videos and also jun Mizutani's serves. In my opinion, Werne schlager is the master of serves. He won a world championship, which I solely believe is because of his unprecedented serving skills. Most of them are legal, it is darn difficult to serve like him.

i didn't know Craig Bryant earlier, just checked in youtube, that was some amazing topspin - backspin combinations. Serve on throttle. You are lucky to play against him :)

says Aging is a killer

I learned a lot by watching a couple of these players in action. To me, the secret of Gavin Rumgay's serving is simplicity and bravery to apply those simple serves at crucial times. Craig Bryant, I've only seen close up a couple of times. But twice I watched him make the ball jump over the receiver's bat. Never seen any other player, international or whatever, perform that trick.
Dan, can't you meet up with Craig to do a video?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi Dan [emoji2]

Funny for you to mention Craig Bryant serve I went to a Westfield TTC camp earlier in the year and Craig Bryant was one of the coaches I managed to get him to do a few serves against me they were very very deceptive and I really struggled against them but when he showed me what he was doing from his point of view they looked very simple action wise, just shows how easy an action before/after of making contact with the ball can change the perspective of what spin the opposition thinks is on it.

Siva, have you by any chance checked out Werner Schlager serve tutorials on YouTube he explains how Mizutani differs from heavy topspin to heavy backspin with the same action well worth the watch. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Pricey, cool yeah I know those camps! I hear they are great. I am going to be a coach on one of those soon just need to find the right time/weekend :)

Yeah I know what you mean, I have spoke to Craig re his serves in the past. They are very deceptive, I have seen Waldner push Craig's topspin serve :) It did not go down well haha. Keeping serves simple I think is very important. This means you can be deceptive pretty easily and then over time you make your follow through more complex.

Ah yes I know the video you mean of Schlager, I love that video! You can watch it below here for anyone who is interested:

Hey Dan, thanks for your commet. In my experience with the serve, i was not able to serve the topspin with the same motion. What could be the reason?

What I was doing to get heavy back and side spin is to contact the lower hemisphere slightly tiled for the heavy back-side spin and the side of the ball for heavy sidepsin. I wonder how PAr gerell does the top spin togther. If i do contact the top of the ball it produces the ball jumps too high and it is an easy prey. I ll check with Gavin Rumpery and craig bryan in youtube. May they got some interestng stuff to teach through their plaz :)

It is quite hard to explain without doing it via video, real life. Ideally you want to bat to go upwards on the ball during the serve to produce topspin, there are a few variations to do this. Rumgay's way is slightly different to Schlagers way. Watch Schlager's demonstration in the video above, this will give you a great understanding :)

Dan, can't you meet up with Craig to do a video?

Great idea Tinykin, ill try my best to do this :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Your serve is actually very good and I see the ball bouncing twice on the other side. I can't seem to load the ball with such heavy spin, but I admit I will need more practice. Below is a video of a really good Japanese table tennis channel I subscribe to, which got me started on practicing kick serves. You can really deceive the opponent and sometimes it is extremely hard to tell whether it's downspin or side/topspin. He does some serves starting at 2:30, and honestly, it's difficult to tell what spin he's making.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass