TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Europe

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
      Yes, he has made so many good players (over 2,000) that I think his advise is good. I am quite sure that when the pace increase, it is not always possible to get low as was stated, but i am not there yet.

I did just beat a 1500 player, so I am slowly getting better.

2. The Following User Likes SpinWins's Post:

NextLevel (12-15-2015)

3. Top | #22
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Europe

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
      One thing I notice (I just finish two matches). My loop has gotten much much better from dropping the paddle more. I drop it straight back keep a loose arm. I finish like NextLevel shows in his videos. I can get a very sharp drop on the ball as long as I drop the paddle low enough. Mistake for me is not dropping paddle enough, that usually means the ball goes long.

4. Top | #23
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 145
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc C-1

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,194 Times in 5,385 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by SpinWins View Post
      One thing I notice (I just finish two matches). My loop has gotten much much better from dropping the paddle more. I drop it straight back keep a loose arm. I finish like NextLevel shows in his videos. I can get a very sharp drop on the ball as long as I drop the paddle low enough. Mistake for me is not dropping paddle enough, that usually means the ball goes long.
      I don't drop the paddle, I just straighten the arm a little. IT looks like I am dropping the paddle but I am not. In fact, the higher the ball, the more I have to stay at the height of the ball. The most important thing is to brush - if the ball goes long, come around the side more and finish forward.
      Last edited by NextLevel; 12-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

5. Top | #24
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Afghanistan

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 114 Times in 82 Posts

Improving your forehand topspin technique (with TTEdge)

Thanks for posting this topic next level I found it very helpful. In fact I found much of your documented improvements to be helpful. I think it's really great that you've been so open to sharing your constant effort to improve your game. It takes a lot of guts to be that open.
      I found this topic particularly helpful because my natural tendency is to drive the ball finishing lower in my swing instead of finishing at Eye level brushing the ball and keeping my swing on the half circle plane as Carl explained. I'm tall with long arms and also have a tendency to drop my bat to much and have swing that's to long. because of this I can end up cheating and I take a more direct path to the ball which makes my swing more direct this requires the finish to be lower and across the body more to get it on the table. I'm actually pretty good at this shot and because it's natural it's been A hard habit to break. I was thinking about this and casually work on it before seeing this post but after seeing NL Video, and reading the post something clicked and I made finishing with my bat at the eyes, swing path, and contact point a priority while training. Since then i have become much better at it, but just when I think it's something thats behind me I can find my self falling back in to bad habits. Just yesterday did a training session that I actually recorded and when I saw the recording I was horrified at how I reverted back to bad to habits much too often. It was very disapointing!

I wanted to add some realizations and positive byproducts that I have found from focusing on this. When I have managed train and execute the proper swing path and finish point it forces me to using better footwork and When this becomes the priority you quickly see ( for me) shorter swing and a proper swing path requires more movement to be in proper position to attack the ball. I've find myself reaching less needing to cheat my swing less with the lower finish. This has been good lesson that's opened my eyes on other aspect about my game and progress. two of my only real strengths are quick hand reflexes, and hand Eye coordination. When you add this to long arms, good reach I have slowly realized unconsciously relying on these strengths can and has at times actually impede my growth. Just because I can reach the ball and maybe even play a decent shot does not mean I'm in proper position to play the Optimal table tennis shot. It's all commonsense really and its things I theoretically knew, but I can be thick headed and this has illustrated the point that there is a difference between experiencing, or internalizing something and theoretically knowing it. It's been nice experience see that by simply focusing on good technique reinforces and helps to internalize other positive lesions in the game.

I now I feel the urge to practice and make up for my recent regressions. It's never end this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by gmiller2233; 06-08-2016 at 05:24 PM.

6. The Following User Likes gmiller2233's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (06-09-2016)

7. Top | #25
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,396 Times in 2,213 Posts
      Stick your elbow a fists distance away from your waist and swing from your waist, think as if your racket arm is like a string with a ball ( racket ) attached to its end. If you can drill this into your head, the rest will take care of itself.
      [QUOTE=gmiller2233;149211]Thanks for posting this topic next level I found it very helpful. In fact I found much of your documented improvements to be helpful. I think it's really great that you've been so open to sharing your constant effort to improve your game. It takes a lot of guts to be that open.
      I found this topic particularly helpful because my natural tendency is to drive the ball finishing lower in my swing instead of finishing at Eye level brushing the ball and keeping my swing on the half circle plane as Carl explained. I'm tall with long arms and also have a tendency to drop my bat to much and have swing that's to long. because of this I can end up cheating and I take a more direct path to the ball which makes my swing more direct this requires the finish to be lower and across the body more to get it on the table. I'm actually pretty good at this shot and because it's natural it's been A hard habit to break. I was thinking about this and casually work on it before seeing this post but after seeing NL Video, and reading the post something clicked and I made finishing with my bat at the eyes, swing path, and contact point a priority while training. Since then i have become much better at it, but just when I think it's something thats behind me I can find my self falling back in to bad habits. Just yesterday did a training session that I actually recorded and when I saw the recording I was horrified at how I reverted back to bad to habits much too often. It was very disapointing!

I wanted to add some realizations and positive byproducts that I have found from focusing on this. When I have managed train and execute the proper swing path and finish point it forces me to using better footwork and When this becomes the priority you quickly see ( for me) shorter swing and a proper swing path requires more movement to be in proper position to attack the ball. I've find myself reaching less needing to cheat my swing less with the lower finish. This has been good lesson that's opened my eyes on other aspect about my game and progress. two of my only real strengths are quick hand reflexes, and hand Eye coordination. When you add this to long arms, good reach I have slowly realized unconsciously relying on these strengths can and has at times actually impede my growth. Just because I can reach the ball and maybe even play a decent shot does not mean I'm in proper position to play the Optimal table tennis shot. It's all commonsense really and its things I theoretically knew, but I can be thick headed and this has illustrated the point that there is a difference between experiencing, or internalizing something and theoretically knowing it. It's been nice experience see that by simply focusing on good technique reinforces and helps to internalize other positive lesions in the game.

I now I feel the urge to practice and make up for my recent regressions. It's never end this game.

/QUOTE]

8. The Following 2 Users Like ttmonster's Post:

gmiller2233 (06-08-2016),NextLevel (06-08-2016)

9. Top | #26
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 145
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc C-1

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,194 Times in 5,385 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by ttmonster View Post
      Stick your elbow a fists distance away from your waist and swing from your waist, think as if your racket arm is like a string with a ball ( racket ) attached to its end. If you can drill this into your head, the rest will take care of itself.
      My approach is slightly different but related. Fix the upper arm and only move it in conjunction with your core. I also sometimes lock my shoulder tightly to my body when practicing or try to wrap my elbow to my body on the backswing. But if you have the TT Edge app, there are 3 different loopers in there with high level but different technique. You can't go wrong mimicking any of them.

10. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

gmiller2233 (06-09-2016),ttmonster (06-08-2016),UpSideDownCarl (06-09-2016)

11. Top | #27
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Afghanistan

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 114 Times in 82 Posts

Improving your forehand topspin technique (with TTEdge)

Thanks for the advice TTM, NL. And I do have the app, I'll look at it with that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by gmiller2233; 06-09-2016 at 12:34 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Like gmiller2233's Post:

ttmonster (02-03-2017),UpSideDownCarl (06-09-2016)

13. Top | #28
      says i saw a vid of me playing, it
      was horrible to see

Advanced TTD Member Country: Belgium

Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Senso Carbon
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8 2.15 red
      Backhand Rubber TIBHAR Genius 2 mm

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts
      One very good topspin forehand tutorial (by the coach of JM Saive when he was the number 1 player on the ITTF ranking) !

14. The Following 7 Users Like phillypong's Post:

Baal (02-03-2017),gmiller2233 (02-07-2017),Ilia Minkin (02-03-2017),Jirrex (02-03-2017),massa (02-03-2017),Suga D (02-03-2017),UpSideDownCarl (02-03-2017)

15. Top | #29
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 4,304 Times in 1,733 Posts
      I like that one Phillypong!

16. Top | #30
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Hungary

Equipment:
      Blade LHS Offensive 3.2
      Forehand Rubber Donic Acuda S1
      Backhand Rubber Donic Acuda S1

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 954 Times in 543 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl;130584 [B
      THAT IS GOOD.[/B] If you do that so the hand is always in the same plane THAT IS GOOD.
      Sorry, but 'that's good' grab my attention and I couldn't read your post properly because of laughing. Go to 2:31!

I can see some similarities between you and Yoda. The two ultimate wise guy!
      Last edited by ajtatosmano2; 02-03-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12