I don't understand the USATT rating system.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
So a player in my club went to the U.S. and played in a few tournaments, he beat a 2150 rates player and a few 2000 ish rated players, he lost too a 1900 rated player in the semis due to fatigue. He didn't lose to a lower rated player than that. After that he got a rating of 1736, which makes no sense, given that he played above his rating for a while. Is there a ranking system or an algorithm, I personally don't understand, so can anyone help?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Even if they rated him way too low, which it sounds they did, the next tournament he plays, if he is beating most players in the 2000-2100 range his rating will shoot up.

For the USATT rating system to work and be accurate you have to play a bunch of tournaments.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Rayeez
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok thanks, that makes much more sense, I thought it was a mistake but you confirmed it.

The system they use for giving a first rating is imperfect. It does sound like they messed up in the instance you mentioned. He should have been given a rating that was approximately half way between the highest player he beat and the lowest player he lost to.

But, if he lost to the 1900 player before he played the other players, he could have been given a rating based on that.

But if a 1700 player comes into a tournament and beats several 2000 players and does not lose to anyone lower than say, 1900, they will automatically adjust him up to about the rating of the lowest level player he loses to and then give him the points he would earn for the players he beat and take away points for the players he lost to. So, that 1700 player, say he plays in a tournament and plays 10 players and 3 are under 2000 and he beats all of them and 4 are between 2000-2100 and he beats two and loses to two, and then there are 3 players over 2100 and he wins against 1 and loses to two, they would automatically adjust him up to about 2025 and then give and take away points based on his wins and loses.

Whereas, if he was 1700 and won half his wins vs players in the 1700 range and lost the other half but had one impressive win vs a 2100 level player, they would just have him earn and lose points based on his opponents and the win vs the 2100 player would give him about 50 points where as a win to another 1700 player would give him something like 2 points and a loss to a player who was 1400 would lose him about 50 points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It really depends on what his current rating is - the adjustment formula is continually tweaked but it pulls you to somewhere that is often an average of your initial rating and the average of your best win and lowest loss or something like that. So if he started really really low, he will not get pulled up all the way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
It's always nice to have real names quoted - and I'm sorry, but your original post has too many inaccuracies:

Luc's final rating after 2015 July Westchester tournament is 1933 (he came in with existing rating of 1604 and was adjusted correctly, it seems)
He did not beat anyone above 2000, let alone 2150, but he did beat 1975 and 1940 players.
He did not play Bradley in U1900 finals (only U1900 RR and U1750 SF)
His worst loss was to 1848 player

I saw him play there and he's a very good player with lots of upside.

Go to USATT ratings site, type his name and see results (can't embed link, low post count :( )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Damn, I really should have checked sources. Honestly, the only source I had was a friend of his. I guess it was a joke or something. It was an honest mistake...

Not a problem - it happens. I remember the crowd from your club at that tournament - played 4 of them, beat Finn, Naomi and Dominic, lost to Matthew. Your coach is a very cool dude.

Reactions: Rayeez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Weird how I always lose to Finn and Dominic, but can beat Matthew regularly.

I remember both Dominic and especially Finn giving up too easily after losing a game, so I suspect they are much better players than what they showed me. Finn in particular, even though he still had a chance to advance out of RR group if he did beat me. Oh well.

Matthew beat me in 5 in the first match and then had it much easier in the second, 3:0. He admitted that he does not like to play choppers :)