What made you stick with Table Tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
TLDR?= What made you stick with table tennis?

Where I live there's two main clubs for table tennis.
One of which is very welcoming full of players from ratings 2000 to 500. -We'll call this one Nice club (about 10 tables here)
The other of which has higher level players from about 1600-2200. -We'll call this Experienced club (about 12 tables here)

Anyway, every week or two I see a new player or two come to the club excited to play and improve. It's rare that the player will actually come back weekly and make this a life-long hobby. Or even put the time in to get to a moderately decent level. The worst thing is when these new players come to the "experienced" club. because none of the experienced players want to play with them. It's not just that the players are bad. It's because the experienced player has put countless hours into the game and to play with these player's its just giving them free lessons to someone that they will MOST LIKELY never see again. Now this is kind of a two edged sword here; maybe the new player would have stuck with the sport and kept coming back if the experienced players actually seemed to give a crap about them.

I tend to invite new players to come with me to the "Nice club" where they're a lot more welcoming and friendly. But even the players that go to the nice club never stick around for too many more visits. Which got me thinking to when I first joined the clubs. When I first joined I felt people were extremely kind to me and really took me under their wing hitting with me EVERY time i came back, without me even having to put my paddle down on their table.

My question is. What got you to stick with table tennis and not move on when you realized it was difficult to get good at? Maybe it was the challenge or the excercize? Let me Know

?MY STORY

my passions constantly changed. My friends would get into something and i would get into them a lot more than them. Either I improved much quicker than them at whatever hobby it was or i just put more time into the hobby and had more motivation i would soon be way out of their league in whatever hobby it was and that's when i would lose interest.

When I started table tennis, about 3 years ago was the first time picking up a paddle. It was in the dorm i was living at in my university. There were 3 "good players" (probably under 1000 USATT thinking back now) but to me they were AMAZING. I had to get better than them. I loved playing so much at the time, i probably got about 6-8 hours in a day, I was known as the ping pong guy even though i wasn't the best there until the end of the semester.

Here's the order of them from worst to best.

Worst: A chinese student studying abroad, he used his forehand for EVERYTHING all he did was smash the ball but it looked like a looping stroke, and that's what i truly wanted my game to look like. He was the worst out of the three but the way he played, made me think he was the best for a long while.

Middle: A Girl named Katie. This was probably one of the biggest reasons i really got into the game. She stood completely still on the table, almost never moving her feet but would block everything with easy. I liked her a bit so i really enjoyed playing with her and trying to get to her level. We got along pretty well but fell out of touch along the way somewhere. (To this day I never did beat her). It's one of my biggest regrets in table tennis, having those players that smoked you when you were bad and knowing you'll never have a chance to smoke them back. Me and her always played to 21. I still remember her getting me at 21-0 once. (ouch i know) but we still had fun.

Best: This guy's name was Robert, still a close friend of mine to this day but he doesn't play anymore. His style was more of a blocking/countering style, but he adapted very well and could find his opponents weaknesses very easily to exploit them. To this day I'm convinced that if he stuck with the game the way I did he would be at least a couple hundred points higher than me. He has that natural focus in games and is very intelligent and is able to learn extremely quickly.

Then one day a Chinese man named David came to the dorm and played. Robert was just smiling because he knew i would want to play him and he knew i was going to get destroyed. David was the head of the table tennis club at the college I went to (I never did go though, mostly because it met at the rec center about the long distance of HALF a mile away). He was only rated about 1650 but I'd never seen someone play the way he did and i was simply amazed. I had a new goal for the game. I had to get to THAT level.

I occasionally see David at local clubs these days and i can usually almost always beat him. He doesn't seem to be trying though. I guess it's one of those things where if you start playing with someone when they're under 1000 rating and you're that much better it's hard to ever take them seriously.

Anyway after going to clubs I started testing equipment and "feeling" the ball in different ways. I got a coach who I've been seeing once or twice a week for about a year and have been improving at an alarming rate lately.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, I think there is the drive and the addiction. The people who don't stick to it, don't have that.

Like, when I started I was pretty bad even though I didn't know it. But when I first went to a real club it was hard not to realize how much better everyone one than I was.

I remember going and wondering if there would be anyone I could play with.

But, I was driven and addicted to the point that it didn't matter if everyone was better than me and only some people would play with me. All I could think about was wanting to play.

The first club I played at was decent at trying to get people to keep coming. The desk people would hit with newbies when there was nobody to hit with them. And would get better players to hit with the them and help them get better. But it still would have been intimidating if I wasn't so obsessed with playing.

At a certain point that club closed and there was another club that opened up that was much harder to play at. I remember sending a lot of people to that club only to have them tell me that they didn't like playing there.

All that being said, in that first club, in spite of how the club really tried to make people feel at home and taken care of and really tried to help newer players, it was rare that a new player continued and persevered in trying to get better and pursue the sport.

I remember thinking about that back then. So, good observation and thanks for the thread.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
It's gotten to a point of addiction for me. If i go a couple weeks without playing i get grumpy.

I'm in Canada on holiday at the moment and haven't had the chance to play since back at home and my body is aching to play.

What has me hooked on table tennis is the ability to manipulate the ball through spin for sure.. I don't know why, it just brings in another dimension that's so cool and leaves people who don't really play the game quite clueless. Spinning the ball is just really addictive to me.. especially serves, I've watched so many serve videos multiple times it's ridiculous.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Seeing myself do a cool crazy sidespin around the net loop that makes people's jaw drop is quite fun. Having so much spin on a loop that a higher level player can't keep the ball down on the table is also awesome. Feeling your feet take those little tiny adjustment steps to get into just he right position and hearing your feet make squeaking sounds as you do it, and then being set for the shot and your loop catapults off your topsheet, aw man. How could you not get addicted to this sport! This game!!

To me, there are only a few things that are even close to as fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: fais and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Seeing myself do a cool crazy sidespin around the net loop that makes people's jaw drop is quite fun. Having so much spin on a loop that a higher level player can't keep the ball down on the table is also awesome. Feeling your feet take those little tiny adjustment steps to get into just he right position and hearing your feet make squeaking sounds as you do it, and then being set for the shot and your loop catapults off your topsheet, aw man. How could you not get addicted to this sport! This game!!

To me, there are only a few things that are even close to as fun.

Yes! Seeing the ball spin off someone else's bat due to your spin is also super satisfying. Also the ball dipping or curving because of the spin.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Great topic! I enjoyed reading everyone's responses as they remind me of the reasons why I keep coming back to this sport.

I once thought I was a pretty good ping pong player since I beat up on coworkers and neighbors in my garage. Then one night two years ago my girlfriend and I went to a club and played in their weekly round robin. We thought that we could take down at least a couple of the players. Needless to say we got our butts kicked. I lost all my matches including one to an older gentleman who didn't move much but made me look silly chasing after well placed balls and a middle age woman who just smacked the heck out of all my weak returns. Boy was I embarrassed after that night.

Fast forward 2 years later. I'm totally addicted to this sport! It's an easy game to play, but not a simple sport to learn the proper techniques. Trying to master spin is exhilarating along with being able to get into the correct position and brushing the ball back to your opponent with devastating spin and power gets my adrenaline flowing. And once in a while having the ability to counter loop a ball several times, awwww man that feeling.........

Carl, you're absolutely right, there aren't many things in life that gets my juices going as does table tennis!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I played quite a bit as a kid even if I had no clue what proper technique was. I did have an idea of how to hold a racket, even if not all the nuances that I coach now. This was in Nigeria and we didn't always play on proper tables, even though my family had a table. We sometimes played on desks put togehter and with planks of wood as paddles. We didn't care about the bounces or the spin. We just hit the crap out of the goddamn ball.

But whenever I played someone who was formally trained by a better player, they always beat me too easily. It was like me beating other players at chess. So I resolved to one day go to a club and figure things out.

I tried to do it in 2006 in DC at first but the Gaithersburg club was too far away and I was dealing with other issues. In 2010, my girlfriend at the time saw me play and saw how easily I was beating people (like I said, if you didn't spin, I could win). She saw an article about a club in Philly so I went there. There was no one there at the time. But the club moved, had a new location that was just 10 mins from my apartment at the time. So after a few stops and starts, I got in.

If I said anything other than that I just enjoy hitting the ball, I would be lying. Right now, I love teaching too as well, so that drives the addiction. I like the learning process. I also moved from a just in time coaching approach to a more holistic training approach and I am enjoying what I am learning about the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Then being a decently paid bachelor, there was always the temptation to get better by trying new equipment. Thousands of dollars later, I hate the conclusions but still enjoy trying out new stuff. Too broke to buy and trash cars, I guess.

And of course, the people. The ones I love the most paradoxically are the ones who thought it would take me forever to break 1600 because it took them forever to get better. Now many of them duck playing me at the club. Then there are the people who tell me footwork this, bend your knees that, hold your paddle this etc. Err, did you just not lose to me 1-3? I am beating your 2200+ training partners a few times these days you know. Maybe I have an idea what I am doing, even with all the issues that you see.

Ah, then there is tournament travel. Going.to Vegas for the Nationals. But I really should travel to a few more tournaments not in.Vegas. I do a lot of spots on NJ, NY, PA, MD. But I should do some NOVA, Western PA and Northern NY. Even RI and CT. And of course Triangle club tournamenf in NC. Maybe I will get it in this year.

Finally, a word goes out to those pips players, whether they block, chop, or hit. You show me how mental this sport can be. I will post a match or two (one loss, one win) against players around my level soon because I love the way those guys eff with me. And I love that I am effing them back too.

This game is effing fun. And one day, I will play in Germany and China too. Amen.

This user has no status.
For me, It has to be addiction as UDC pointed out. My earlier years of playing had to be one of the most frustrating experiences ever (did not help having an inflated sense of self). This game has such a high learning curve that it requires a lot of failures along the way as a way to "debug" my technique and improve.

But with every small breakthrough there was hope. Unfortunately it was also the kind of hope that makes you think you've finally achieved mastery or that you've figured it out (until your spirit is smashed and it's back to the drawing board).

Doing what I can do now, with agility and consistency, I understand now why I was never as good as I thought, and after a long time I finally have a realistic gage of where I really stand (and what I can do to improve and be less sucky).

Being good at TT has always been my desire since day one. My approach has matured with experience. I don't know why I didn't quit back when I wanted to so badly, so once again like UDC said, it has to be addiction. Nothing good comes easy, and because it isn't easy, I know it is really good.

I started to play a coworker right handed shake hand (I'm a lefty pen holder) and and have started beating him. He asked me to play him left handed so I did (but I used shake hand and not my blade) and he was absolutely befuddled and overwhelmed by the speed and spin ferocity, I came at him. I remember being in his shoes and thinking "how in the unholy f**k am I going to compete against that???"

Its a great exerciser, explosive , speed, timing, variations, angles, tragedies, plans and executes. The will to win . Love to train, and doing drills after drill to get the perfect techniques , the competitions, the will to the best . To be inspire and to be motivate to be better every time and each day :) love and devotion , that's all :)

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just for entertainment. Last night I played a guy who is decent. A few years ago he told me, at my age, it's too late and I would never be at a level where I was good enough to beat him. Well, last night I did just that. Now when he said it, it wasn't trash talking. He just said that there were too many bad habits to change and that he didn't think it was possible. So I didn't mention it. But it was nice to have that.

I do have to say, I love NextLevel's story and the sense I get of how much he liked playing as a kid.

When I was a kid I loved playing too. But it was always hard to find places to play or people to play with. If I had known about TT clubs and real, higher level play as a kid, I am sure I would have done it back then.

I have memories of when I was 7 years old, trying to get my brother and sister to play with me and them not really wanting to because they were both older and much better than me. When I was 12, we were in a place during the summer where there was a tennis club that had a table. I went as often as I could. But all the kids who played tennis were much better than me at table tennis too. And it was just table tennis the way tennis players play it. Not the real thing.

When I was 26, between jobs, I found a TT club in NYC just by chance. I got a racket. I started going. Everyone there was so much better than me that, mostly, I hit with the club's robot. I played there for 3 months and then I got a new job and moved to a new apartment.

I didn't play again till I was 44 which is when I started to play for "real". So, now, at 50, I have been playing for 6 years. I still have a lot of improvements to make and bad habits to undo. But anyone who saw me play 4 years ago and then sees me play today would realize how much I have changed and how many bad habits I have already undone.

For me, the learning is definitely part of the addiction. But I am also happy just hitting the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: fais and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
It's definitely learning the spin and how to touch the ball properly. When I hit loop that is so heavy that it can't be return, yet I hit it so thin that it barely make a noise- well that just motivate me to keep playing more and more.

Some have said - when you know how to really spin the ball, you can easy dispatch lesser player. It is the secret to the game, but it take a lot of time and practice. And the against better player you have to hit it perfect every time to have a chance. It is a great challenge. For people who want challenge in their life, this is a great sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just for entertainment. Last night I played a guy who is decent. A few years ago he told me, at my age, it's too late and I would never be at a level where I was good enough to beat him. Well, last night I did just that. Now when he said it, it wasn't trash talking. He just said that there were too many bad habits to change and that he didn't think it was possible. So I didn't mention it. But it was nice to have that.

I do have to say, I love NextLevel's story and the sense I get of how much he liked playing as a kid.

Ah, Carl, you fully get it. You are someone who appreciates what it means to be told by 1800 level players who have never asked how long you have seriously played that you will never be as good as they are. Because they think it is magic.

Reading your story and aspects of it, your adult age improvement gift in a sense was Edmund, just as my adult age improvement gift was my current coach. Even my coach remembers Edmund as a 1900 player who was pretty much stuck there but who broke 2000 and 2100 once Damien arrived.

My coach and I had a laugh once about where I might be if I hadn't left my first coach and started working with him. We agreed that the most likely conclusion would be 1400-1500 and still be unable to beat his kid students who are now 2100-2300 and thinking they only got better because they were kids.

So I can forgive and understand your comment and attitude to the guy who said it was too late. But I don't let the guy who said it would take me years to get to 1600 forget it. He is one of the guys who doesn't play me any more. I beat him in a game 11-0 last week or two ago at a league (trust me, we wouldn't have played if it wasn't a league).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah, Carl, you fully get it. You are someone who appreciates what it means to be told by 1800 level players who have never asked how long you have seriously played that you will never be as good as they are. Because they think it is magic.

Reading your story and aspects of it, your adult age improvement gift in a sense was Edmund, just as my adult age improvement gift was my current coach.

So I can forgive and understand your comment and attitude to the guy who said it was too late.

Yep. Edmund was awesome in helping me improve. I remember him talking about how Damien got him to up his level in a real way.

I did really work on changing a lot of those habits. I need to get time on a robot to change a couple more. Not sure if and when that can happen. But I at least know what I have to work on.

Part of my work is helping other people become aware of and then change habitual patterns of postural alignment and movement. So I have some understanding of what to do. But the movements are much less complicated and more related to normal life. Also, the added complexity of timing the movement with contacting a ball is not there.

If my stroke was as good as my shadow stroke, I would have very little to change. :)

When you are changing a habitual pattern of movement and there isn't a factor like eye hand coordination and adjusting to an incoming ball, once a more efficient, more functional movement clicks in, the old movement goes away. Once you add the complexity of all the different actions of the movement and the adjusting to the random nature of the bounce and spin of the ball, it is harder to get and keep the more functional, efficient movement.

But I love working on this stuff. By the way, that is one of the definitions of what yoga is: changing habitual patterns. A fuller definition would be that Yoga is awareness. Awareness and habit are, in some sense opposites. Here, though, you are just changing a less functional habit and replacing it with the more functional habit. But, in the process, no matter what you do, awareness plays a part in the changing of patterns.

And yes, I could have rubbed in the fact that I beat that guy last night. It would have been totally appropriate. But, for me, it was good enough that I gave him a bit of a lesson on the court. LOL.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
For me is the only sport that get my juices going. Its about the speed, the spin, the power, the placement.

The late is an aspect I've been putting a lot of attention lately, combined with side spin. Nothing like a well place ball, on the wide forehand of your opponent, near the net, and loaded with side spin... Is not a fast ball, but boy it does curve away... Only us TT guys can enjoy descriptions like this... Jajaja... Happy New Year to you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk