Introduce yourself to the forum! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hey all I'm Richard Heo, from East Coast U.S. PA to those of you who are in the area. I've been playing for 8 years and have been Coaching for the last 4. I've played for the Penn State Berks and Main Campus teams and been the PSU Berks President 2 separate years. I would have to say my greatest achievement has been to grow the sport of TT in my area. In 2004-2005 I grew the Berks club from around 12 players to over 65 players. Then in my returning year in 07-08 I grew the club from scratch back up to around 40 players. Now in my hometown I just started a new club which has over 20 players that have come in to play although we have around 12 regulars.

My goal is to grow the sport ridiculously in the next couple of years and hopefully have a facility for the 2016 Olympics. We currently only have under 8000 players in the U.S. that play in regular tournaments. Their aim is to grow it about 1 percent for the next 5 years and then increase that to about 5-10 percent. I say shame on them for not thinking big and I plan on filling the next 5 years quota into 1 and with any luck start a new industry here in the U.S.

Great to have you aboard sir.
Seems that you are a real streetwise judging from your excellent informative posts :)
Have a great stay :D

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am William and live in Korea.
I speak Korean as a foreigner and have started serious TT a couple years ago. Played recreationally a couple before that, even though I thought I was serious.
I play div 2 in my city and div 3 when I go to Seoul.
My current club is LSS TTC and I occasionaly go to a lot of other clubs all over the peninsula for TT adventures.
Not a lot of TT achievements except for constantly improving. Win 3rd place div 3 this spring, that's about it.
Big tourneys here ard real hard to go all the way to finals as there are tons of good players in your div who should be 1-2 div higher.
I hope to make it to div 1 in my city by next spring and div 2 Seoul/National level by next summer or end of next year.
Public transportation here is very inexpensive and if you know where the TT clubs are, you can get to a LOT of them easy.
I make a ton of TT friends and have a blast here.
I am active on a few of the TT forums as many of us are.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Cool to see you are a 교포 Richard, you 1st or 2nd generation? I learned a lot of my Korean from 이문세 and 김수희 who of course are the among the most popular Korean singers in the 80s, which is prolly a little before your time. In USA and Germany, I waz a KSA teacher (Even though I am a USA dude through and through), which is kinda backwards from an ESL teacher. (For the benefit of the forum) Koreans come to US 1st generation as adult retain their language and culture, but anyone coming under age 10 or 2nd generation in USA is in grave danger of not knowing enough Korean to order food to in a Korean resturant in Korean to avoid starving. KSL is Korean as a Second Languge. I sometimes post on the Daum Hedgehog TT Board and my ID there is BH-Man. Seems everyone in Seoul knows me before I hit in a new club. Internet is wonderful. Hedgehog TT board operator is the dude who designs the Xiom blades and runs a blade testing company. NEXY president is very active on internet as well, especially on OOAK forum and MyTT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'm 1st generation, but I can only understand Korean spoken. Still learning the writing and speaking back part. I've got the Rosetta Stone, but haven't had the time to get all the way through. I don't know typically Koreans who come here all learn how to speak it. I go to Korea town all the time and see little kids learning it. It all depends on if they're traditional or prefer to speak English. Also being close to a Korean population helps. When Koreans aren't close to their kin they typically lose a bit of their language from lack of use.

That's cool that you know so many TTers of Korea. I can't wait to train there someday.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Richard, the written alphabet isn't all that bad to learn, can be mastered in a couple weeks, practicing an hour a day. Problem with trying to learn words from a dictionary is that there is zero example how to use that word in real life, so you learn "weird" and speak "weird" until you learn where you went wrong and re-learn. Learning from a dictionary is creul and mostly a waste of time. Dictionary best use is to look up a word you heard but do not know. Once anyone gets enough reps, it becomes better and better. Problem with USA living for foreigners is almost everything is exposure in English - TV, radio, school, friends, shopping, you name it. Old school 1st generation Koreans are notorious for grouping together and making a place that is essentially Korea located in USA. Many of that old-school never learn English worth much and would go crazy and sad if they had to function in English only. Not all, but whole lot. many USA people would scorn at this and shake their heads. However, they are the ones in a foreign land trying to uphold their language, Identity, and way of life. Take a USA group out of USA and airdrop them them somewhere foreign. You will hear so much complaining so fast it will give you a headache. USA people RARELY will try to operate in the ways of the foreign land and demand that everything be done their way in English and such and such with an attitude. I have lived most of my life as an American outside USA and have seen it again and again. On the other hand of the Korean in USA thing, if the Korean parent is not very hardcore in ensuring the 2nd generation child learns language and culture, then it is lost forever. USA is very bad in that we kill culture in one generation. Still, despite this, there are still a number who succeed in getting their children to be good in both cultures/languages, which is a double benefit for our country, which was founded on diversity and tolerance. (I hope)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That World Class LP joker JSK! Haha, I like defensive styles, even though I am attacking type player. Surprisingly, there are not so many LP sponge Modern Defender players here in Korea, some, but not many. For women O40, it seems at least 1/2 that crowd has OX LP (Usually Tibhar Grass D-Techs). They play close to the table, take everything off the bounce on BH with that evil OX LP, then look for anything that strays to their FH to powerkill. What a group of pushy women I say! still, I like even more playing vs defensive types. I get more predictable chances to ATTACK and attack strong. I have a very good 1st attack and smash, so i have much fun playing vs this style. Even vs athletes a level above me, I have a good winning % vs LP players.

When JSK is gone, (I mean finished playing on ITTF pro tour) I think it will be a very long time before such a dynamic defender comes out of the Korean woodwork.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
That World Class LP joker JSK! Haha, I like defensive styles, even though I am attacking type player. Surprisingly, there are not so many LP sponge Modern Defender players here in Korea, some, but not many. For women O40, it seems at least 1/2 that crowd has OX LP (Usually Tibhar Grass D-Techs). They play close to the table, take everything off the bounce on BH with that evil OX LP, then look for anything that strays to their FH to powerkill. What a group of pushy women I say! still, I like even more playing vs defensive types. I get more predictable chances to ATTACK and attack strong. I have a very good 1st attack and smash, so i have much fun playing vs this style. Even vs athletes a level above me, I have a good winning % vs LP players.

When JSK is gone, (I mean finished playing on ITTF pro tour) I think it will be a very long time before such a dynamic defender comes out of the Korean woodwork.

Very true... Joo see hyuk is amazing it would be great seeing more players like him. But in this era it could be difficult.... Attacking style of play is becoming so good. Just look at the young koreans coming through for example.

Does the TableTennisDaily website work ok in korea... Can you access it the site through a normal web browser?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'm not learning from a dictionary, Rosetta Stone teaches you how to speak through immersion. It will only speak and write to you in the language you want to learn and shows pictures of whatever it's trying to teach you.

It's a great way to learn, but all I have to do is learn the writing part. I know the alphabet I just don't know grammar and I have trouble processing how to speak back in Korean even though I know what they're saying and how to respond. I just have to keep on learning.

As for Korean players I prefer Kim Min Seok, he is really getting the attacking looper style down with the Chinese technique, but Korean reflexes :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey all I'm Richard Heo, from East Coast U.S. PA to those of you who are in the area. I've been playing for 8 years and have been Coaching for the last 4. I've played for the Penn State Berks and Main Campus teams and been the PSU Berks President 2 separate years.

Hey Mr RicharD, is this you?

Mem#--------ExpDate----------Name-----------Rating----State------LastPlay
31981--------2/29/2012------Heo, Richard------1041------PA------ 2/12/2011

Or is there another Richard Heo in Pennsylvania?

I got that from the USATT rating page.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hehe Richard, I did not learn grammar in one day. Grammar is prolly the hardest thing to learn at first, since there is a grammar pattern for EVERYTHING in Korean where English just uses a word. However, once you get over that hump, Korean gets a lot easier. Problem is, that hump is a pretty tall hump. That is why so many Einstein smart peoples never finish learning Korean, you have to fail fow a while and WORK your tail off. That is that part that gets everyone. You have to commit to the end and keep trying. The Einsteins in this case do not like failing and drop out like flies. Stay with it and it will be so rewarding.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My name is Matias [ttFaka] I have 14 years living in Santiago, Chile
I've been playing 1 year
game in Boston College
I have not yet good achievements, hopefully this year will have one
On Monday of last week began training at Boston College, I train 4 hours a day every day, I hope to improve :D

Het TTFaka, BC has a club on campas, no? Quincy runs a tourney every month on the south side of the city at the YMCA. Have you been to the Boston club in Medford?

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Name Shreeshaila S Rampura
Playing years 30 years
Vetran National Player Playing at National Level till date.
Sports teacher Specific sports Table Tennis
School GG International Pimpri Maharashtra India
Manager Cum Coach 50+ State women Veteran Team Gold medal 2007 Bangalore India

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Hi
My name is Janno Don, I'm from Philippines
I'm 15 yrs old. I've been playing table tennis for 5 years now
I don't have any mentor or trainer since my first 2 years because I was studying in an Indian school at the middle east and now I'm in my own country but i can't find any training programs or trainers. I live in the ilocos norte region
I need a Trainer can someone help me with my problem?
I need to expand my skills...
I want to be somebody :))