modern backhand and flicking over the table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Is it possible to use the modern backhand flip over the table on a short heavy backspin ball? I think its not and high levels players don't even bother doing so. I can't tell if a serve has heavy back spin when watching on TV.
It is. The problem is that when you do, you are still over the table and are vulnerable to a fast block. If the serve is low, the height you have to generate to get the ball over interferes with how hard you can spin the ball. Also, the backspin forces a shot that that clearly has a topspin element so it is easier for the opponent to attack the return than vs. a side-backspin serve.

See the video below for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reaper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
why is it hard to use the reverse flick against reverse pendulum serve?

Because the "reverse" sidespin breaks away from your backhand. For most people it is more natural to step to the left to adjust to sidespin to play backhand because they're used to do that. Stepping to the right and playing backhand may twist your mind a bit.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
why is it hard to use the reverse flick against reverse pendulum serve?

I've found that it is a largely a matter of personal taste and I have heard other players disagree with William. If you prefer to play "continue the spin strokes", you find regular sidespin easier. If you prefer to play "against the spin strokes", you find reverse sidespin easier.

This user has no status.
1. It is, but the spin should slow your flick shot down heavily and its usually easier for the opponent to block/punch/counterloop it back. If it is that heavy id recommend touching/chopping it to the forehand area close to the net. Unless youre facing a really good player that's comfortable with flicking that sort of shot back you should have more time to react/recover for your next shot. Not telling you to do that every single time a heavy backspin serve comes around. Just try and do something with it as you see fit.

2. It's not. For me at least. Personally i find it the easiest to return it with a bh flick/topspin. Chopblocks that goes along with the spin works well too but its easier said than done.

This user has no status.
Which top player has the best backhand flip? I've heard that Fan Zhendong has the fastest and trickiest back flip.
Used to be ZJK.....since he was the one that actually brought bh flicking into the mainstream.
FZD.....well his one is definitely the most destructive one, but idk if id call it the best. The way he does it should put massive strains on his elbow and forearm and that should translate to more injuries.

This user has no status.
Is it possible to use the modern backhand flip over the table on a short heavy backspin ball? I think its not and high levels players don't even bother doing so. I can't tell if a serve has heavy back spin when watching on TV.
Yes it is. I feel it's the best way to return short heavy backspin. I recently switched from a Yinhe T-7 blade with Xiom Vega Asia to an OSP Virtuoso+ with Xiom Omega V Asia. For the first time in a year since I've been practicing the BH flip, I now know what a properly executed BH flip feels like. The increased dwell time and grippiness of the rubber makes it feel like the racket is grabbing the ball and flinging it over the net. Such an awesome feeling! My BH flick is more similar to ZJK's - spinny, fast, low trajectory.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@gman4911, Nice blade and rubber combination. Good info on the BH flip.

On short spinny serves, if you are in position, you can flip them, regardless of what spin. You just need the correct arc to get the ball to clear the net.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Recognition or how deep/where ball goes and into position in time is important or it is a fail. You can overcome some errors in reading the amount of spin with your impact if you are in position. You can make good leverage with your body and transfer of even tiny kinetic energy to do this, but it is not an easy task for a player to do this to every opponent at will if you are not practiced enough and decisive/well timed enough.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Recognition or how deep/where ball goes and into position in time is important or it is a fail. You can overcome some errors in reading the amount of spin with your impact if you are in position. You can make good leverage with your body and transfer of even tiny kinetic energy to do this, but it is not an easy task for a player to do this to every opponent at will if you are not practiced enough and decisive/well timed enough.

I was waiting for you to jump in here since you are pretty darn good at it and also know how to explain what you are doing pretty well.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus