Physical exercises

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
You can do whatever regular athele do for the training. It just that don't bulk yourself up. We used to do broad jump, lunge and various legs training during my primary school, especially when we don't have any equipment and still relatively too young to do any weight training. Right now I'm also include the bench press, shoulder, forehand and all others weight lifting too

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
General Strength training is good with weights. Any of the usual exercises. But you might not want to be using a lot of weight because you are not trying to bulk up. A certain amount of cardio is good, running, jumping rope. But something that most routines leave out is stretching. After you play, stretching, particularly your hips and shoulders, would actually help your game improve and help your mobility so you can get to the ball more easily. It is hard to get detailed here without photos. But there are a lot of stretching exercises that would be really useful, and would help keep people from getting the kinds of repetitive stress injuries to the hips, lower back, knees, shoulders, elbow and wrists that often happen to Table Tennis players. Also, it is more important to stretch after you play than before, but if you can do both it is worth it.

for table tennis it is ideal to be somewhat lean and muscular. When i say muscular, i mean toned and not bulky/high mass. Its very important that your legs and core are strong and muscular. Some exercises that i recommend are jump roping, running walking, one and two legged squats, lunges, and low weight/ high rep lifting. Some exercises that i dont recommend are swimming, high weight lifting and upperbody strength. i do believe it is good to have upper body strength but i am saying that lower is alot more important. swimming isnt the best idea because many of the swimming strokes are full arm swings which will ruin ur game and give u bad habits. Heavy lifting is bad because it increases your body mass and makes you quite bulky which is not so great for table tennis.This is a little off topic but proper stretching is mandatory before each exercise and before playing table tennis. It loosens you up and reduces the risk of injuries.

hope this helps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
From fitness' view I could say the strengthbuilding and endurance training is the most important.
Looking good and bulky in TT is not very much a help..
This explains why olympic weightlifter do not look that strong but could lift super heavy weights (like more than twice their bodyweight 0_0)..

The best rep for strength is around 1-4 reps with 4-5 minute interval between sets.. 3 sets are good..
The strength training helps your muscle to produce much force in a very short time, you can call this explosive power.

The best rep for endurance is more than 15 reps with no more than 1 minute interval between sets.. The more sets the better..
The endurance training helps your muscle to do the same activity over and over without getting cramped because of the lactate acid accumulation..

Yeah, thats from me, hope it helps..

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/stretches-table-tennis.php

checkout the website above buddy....
Also I recommend all members to have a look at the website coz there are a lot of preventive measures to avoid injuries, type of stretching for TT players with diagrams. It also show common table tennis players injuries and how to avoid them.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/ankle-injuries-pt1.php
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/rotator-cuff-injury.php
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/tennis-elbow.php
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/achilles-tendonitis-pt1.php
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/back-pain.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
From fitness' view I could say the strengthbuilding and endurance training is the most important.
Looking good and bulky in TT is not very much a help..
This explains why olympic weightlifter do not look that strong but could lift super heavy weights (like more than twice their bodyweight 0_0)..

The best rep for strength is around 1-4 reps with 4-5 minute interval between sets.. 3 sets are good..
The strength training helps your muscle to produce much force in a very short time, you can call this explosive power.

The best rep for endurance is more than 15 reps with no more than 1 minute interval between sets.. The more sets the better..
The endurance training helps your muscle to do the same activity over and over without getting cramped because of the lactate acid accumulation..

Yeah, thats from me, hope it helps..
What do you call rep? I don't understand ^^

Well when I go to the fitness, I do running, abdominal training, back muscle training. When I use weights, I don't take much but I do it often. Is that good? I heard that that's better than always put more weight and so on, especially for table tennis. I also use the jumping rope and do single jumps and double jumps (the rope goes twice underneath your feet before you touch the ground), that is good practice for the wrist and the forearm. I use weights for the chest, shoulders, and the arms. I thought of buying weights which you attach to your ankles, is that a good idea?

I also strech. It's really important and prevents from injuries and so.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When people used to put those weights around their ankles, when those things were "fashionable" in the 1970's, a lot of people who used them started having knee problems. I would not do that. I would use weights you can hold in your hands or machines that give resistance for the legs, like hamstring curls and leg press machines. If you have access to a gym where they have all the equipment it is useful. If not, just hand held weights.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
There are also some kind of vests that add weight. Maybe that's an idea. If u want to go really far u should make a little basin of sand at the table to do ur footwork routines in ;) Not sure if that is the right word but u know what I mean haha.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, I have acces to a fitness center. There, while all people run, I do table tennis footwork ^^ They look at me thinking Wtf? ^^

I teach Yoga at some gyms. I do TT footwork drills in front of a mirror there too. Some people look at me like I am crazy. But the trainers seem to have an idea what I am doing. I have had a few of them talk to me about it and they know what I am doing is really good for fitness. I forget what one of them called it, but it was a term for a way of working out.

I do them righty and lefty. Amazing how much better I got at playing lefty just from that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
yoga is really good, plyometrics is also a really really good method for getting faster, stronger, etc.

I totally understand what you are saying about how some people look at you as if you are crazy. I do a wide range of pretty weird exercises, so I kind of think the same thing when I am doing them, and some people happen to walk by.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Normal Exercise are very helpful for getting fit and healthy body for playing Table tennis. Yoga, Walking, Stretching are best exercise for stay fit in table tennis.