Shall I change from Penhold to shakehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Read 2 reviews
After 2 years of training, I impoved a lot and now I play in Division 1 of my local league instead of division 3. But somehow I felt my backhand has always been my weakness and it stopped me from improving further. I have spent a lot of time practicing Penhold reverse backhand. I use RPB exclusively now and never use the troditional backhand. In training, I did ok and I can top spin against top/back spin balls with RPB. But in real matches, it is just not very effectie.

My defence in bachand is quite weak, and I made too many unforced errors with backhand too. To win I have to run about to use my forehand only. I felt a lot of the time, I lost the match because I have disadvange in my style to start with. Somtimes, my opponent just push long to my backhand n I can't do anything with it.

I have tried shakehand couple of times recently, and I found my forehand is nearly the same as penhold, maybe even slightly more powerful. My backhand is more natrual and it is much faster to set up top spin comparing with RPB. I can hit some powerful shots with backhand. The blocking is easier too.

My big question is, shall I abandon the style that I loved and been practiced for years, and change to skakehand instead?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
penhold requires a more delicate touch and not everyone is born with that sort of "sense"

at least that's what a old geezer chinese coach told me when he saw me trying out penhold for the first time
he said he knew it by the way i hold my chopsticks during lunchtime.....yea its weird I know but I can really never get any good at penhold, just as he predicted.

If you feel like youre more comfortable with shake hand, go for it!

But, if you really really like penhold.....well, lets be real here. You wont turn into a pro player anyways, why dont you do what you love and keep at it? Thats the whole point of having a hobby isn't it?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Where do you teach?

NextLevel has videos of him playing and training in his home turf all over the InterNetz. See if you can find some and figure it out. Hint, the Philly Mafia may come down hard on you if you can't figure it out.

See, Justin, that is why I wanted you to come to Lily's club in NJ that weekend. You could have wormed your way into some free coaching from a darn good coach. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As far as switching from penhold to shakehand is concerned, I have a unique way of thinking about this subject:

For a penholder to switch to shakehand, the forehand is easy to switch because the penhold player usually has the fundamentals of the forehand stroke and the transition is very easy and feels natural. For a traditional penhold player the switch from traditional penhold backhand is not so easy, BUT switching to shakehand to learn the shakehand backhand would CONSIDERABLY improve the players ability to learn and use the Reverse Penhold Backhand.

So, for a penhold player to learn to play shakehand is extremely valuable because it will help him improve his RPB even if the penholder ultimately decides he likes shakehand better. I have known many penhold players who switched to shakehand and they went on to improve and become even better as shakehand players than they had been as penhold players. But I have also known a few who used learning shakehand to help become better penhold players.

If you turn that information around, it is different but still quite useful. For a shakehand player to switch to penhold is much harder. There is a steeper learning curve for penhold. However, for a shakehand player to learn how to play penhold will definitely help the player improve his forehand and the learning the RPB could help the shakehand player improve his shakehand backhand as well.

So whichever way you look at it, taking the time to learn how to play shakehand will help improve your game. And, as NextLevel already said, if you start learning how to play shakehand, it does not mean you have to switch and stay a shakehand player. After you start getting decent at shakehand you could decide which way you have more fun playing.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I don't see why one should switch. Pen holders are at a disadvantage unless they can use RPB. If you can use RPB then you no long need to just block with the front side of the paddle when the ball comes to your BH side. RPB is the big equalizer. My main practice partner has learned how to RPB in the last two years. It improve his game immensely. His RPB pushes have much more back spin than his FH pushes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
After 2 years of training, I impoved a lot and now I play in Division 1 of my local league instead of division 3. But somehow I felt my backhand has always been my weakness ---snippety snip---

If you change to shakehand. it's backhand will give you an advantage over RPB in terms of being able to cover a greater area from side to side. RPB has a narrower effective range before you lose to much control so your positioning needs to be better. The downside of switching is that you will lose the advantage of RPB and that is over the table play. In the end, it's a case of swings and roundabouts, IMHO.

Now, to address your specific problem. You say your RPB works fine in drills, but not in match play. You're particularly caught out by long pushes into your backhand. I haven't seen you play, but to me that sounds like a problem of positioning, and less so a problem with your RPB technique. If you know a long push is coming, step back a little and I think you'll be able to play your shot properly. If you step back you will be able to attack almost any long push to your backhand. This applies both to RPB or a shakehand backhand.

Since you say you are very forehand oriented (like most penholders), I suggest you try to play patterns that take advantage of that: like deep, spinny, well-placed RPBs down the line into your opponents forehand. That way you know that 9 times out of 10 his return will be lower quality and - more importantly - will go to your own forehand. In other words, you'll make sure the ball comes to your forehand, which you are very comfortable with.

Don't go for a winner with your return down the line. The placement and spin is much more important, especially on a level such as Div 1, UK. Yes, it means you'll have to play one more shot, but that shot should be a shot that you are in complete command of at that point.

So should you switch? If you want to, yes, but I don't think it's necessary. Keep working on your RPB technique and positioning and you may very well progress faster than by switching altogether. After all - like cakezxc280 said - stick to what you truly love and make the best of it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Pen holders are at a disadvantage unless they can use RPB. If you can use RPB then you no long need to just block with the front side of the paddle when the ball comes to your BH side. RPB is the big equalizer. My main practice partner has learned how to RPB in the last two years. It improve his game immensely. His RPB pushes have much more back spin than his FH pushes.

Depends on the level you're playing on. A good push/chop blocker with J-Pen in my level will still be just as hard if not harder to play against than a shake hand player.

Obviouslly J-Pen is disappearing on the top of national/intl rankings, but at our level where most of our backhand and footwork isn't enough to fully take advantage of the shorter/less spinny chopblocks, it actually turns into a disadvantage for us.

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for all the advices. I do love penhold and Xu Xin is my favorite player. As brabhamista mentioned, I have a problem position myself when the ball comes long and deep in my backhand. This is not a problem during training because I know the ball is coming. But in match situation I struggle to set up RPB to top spin it. I think I need special training for this shot. Also I trust my forehand a lot more than RPB, and I sometimes scared of using RPB for fearing losing the point easily. Blocking with RPB is also an issue, because it covers smaller area of the table comparing with shakehand.

I think I will stick to penhold for the tim being and work on these areas.

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
I've been where you are and I would suggest don't give it up entirely. I'm now at the point where my backhand (RPB) feels more natural than my forehand. While my forehand is deadlier, my back hand is more consistent.

You should also realize that RPB does require some "breaking in" of your hand. Your fingers will need to stretch and toughen in order to contort when angling/controlling your paddle.

Reactions: changed_23
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for all the advices. I do love penhold and Xu Xin is my favorite player. As brabhamista mentioned, I have a problem position myself when the ball comes long and deep in my backhand. This is not a problem during training because I know the ball is coming. But in match situation I struggle to set up RPB to top spin it. I think I need special training for this shot. Also I trust my forehand a lot more than RPB, and I sometimes scared of using RPB for fearing losing the point easily. Blocking with RPB is also an issue, because it covers smaller area of the table comparing with shakehand.

I think I will stick to penhold for the tim being and work on these areas.

Based on the information you just presented, it sounds like your actual trouble is handling the random scenario of match-play. Drills where you know where the next ball is going have some usefulness. But the usefulness of those kinds of drills is limited if you do not also do random placement drills. For your backhand it sounds like you need to do drills where the ball goes randomly to different places including forcing you to turn to your forehand and turn back to your backhand. The key is that, if the ball placement is random, then you won't ever know where the next ball is going until it has been hit.

You should also do some serve and receive drills and some game simulation drills. The more you train for the random element the more your game will improve. I am pretty sure this is what is missing and what you need to add to your training.

Here is a video that explains the idea of training the random element. Watch it. Watch it more than once. It will help give you ideas for more effective ways to train.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus