In London for A Week

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, he is. He's in New York, as far as I can tell, he meets up with UpsidedownCarl, and others in New York.

Nope. Not in NYC. When we have met up, he has driven 3-5 hours and I have traveled 1-2.

But I can't tell you where on the east coast of the USA he currently resides or the Philly Mafia will get me for sure.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
Having been on the receiving end more times than I care to remember I can vouch for the quality of your forehand and backhand as well. My first time at Fusion, enjoyed it, was worth the six hour round trip to have a knock and put a face to the name. cheers Nextlevel and thanks for the technique tips will try put them into practice and cement them tonight

cheers
Viv

Played at fusion today, Andy tomorrow. Didn't record matches but they had some good players. I caused some trouble so one of their juniors gave me trouble - damn youth. But I think I did okay. A coach there said I have good technique on both sides - first time I remember someone complimenting my forehand technique so that made my day.

On to the next one...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Having been on the receiving end more times than I care to remember I can vouch for the quality of your forehand and backhand as well. My first time at Fusion, enjoyed it, was worth the six hour round trip to have a knock and put a face to the name. cheers Nextlevel and thanks for the technique tips will try put them into practice and cement them tonight

cheers
Viv

Thanks, man. I did have a 4 year playing experience advantage so that counts for something. Crazy Australian coaches have also retooled my serve game so it's much trickier than it used to be. ;) Hopefully we can do it again if/when either of us crosses continents again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I played with Andy today. Andy's come a long way since the early days. His strokes on both sides are sound and players who give him a chance to rally (loop, hit, block) are going to have their hands full. It's amazing that his blocks are so high level in such a short time but I really shouldn't say that since he always had a talent for timing the ball.

Tomorrow will be the last day of TT when I meet a couple of people from the ooakforum. I don't have much/any video tape but Andy will likely post something at some point and I will at least post my pictures when I get back to the US. I probably will try to get some video tomorrow. I sound so non-committal... I should because videotape makes me want to play too hard... I will anyway, but videotape makes me live with the memories in a too serious way sometimes... I just want to enjoy!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hijacking/resurrecting this thread: I am planning on visiting London the first week of May for business, but also would like to do a bit of table tennis tourism, just like NextLevel did :)

Staying close to British Museum (Bloomsbury area?) and most likely will have time for TT on Friday night and most of Saturday (that's May 6th and 7th).

Would club suggestions made earlier in this thread work for me as well? I'm ~1700 USATT (level below NextLevel if it makes sense).

Thanks

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi Pgpg.

Pm me. I should be able to do something with you on Friday 6th...either at my university (where I work) or a commutable club. I live out of London so Saturday is no good for me. We can also see if it fits in with LordCope.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This video is good for lefties ... very useful for stretching the neck muscles on the left side , , anything for right handers ? ... just kidding ....:p

Have fun, pgpg. Coincidentally uploaded this from my cellphone yesterday night. Not great quality but I hope it works. I have a couple of training videos working with a coach at one of the clubs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I thought it might be. I have never been there but recognised the player with his back to the video. Did you play him? He has a very effective and unconventional style!

Yeah. His game was hard to read at first but over time, my flat hitting was more consistent than his weird spins - I won maybe 90% of our games if not 100% - they got shorter as we played more. I keep trying to flat hit less, but I keep playing people that make me realize that I might have to practice that part of my game more.