Drugs and table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What is your experience, (either you or against someone else who has been on drugs while playing)? Here's what I've noticed

Alcohol Tipsy (1 drink)= More relaxed and strokes seem better but reflexes seem a bit slowed

Alcohol Drunk- plays terribly in every way compared to their usual self

Marijuana- Playstyle changes, they seem to have more fun and even get more spin on the ball but they aren't as agressive and don't focus on opponents weaknesses. They just seem to hit the table more.

Adderall/ amphetamines: focus and reactiontime increase. I can't see a downside.

these are all I've seen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I have a story. In Russian cities one often can find table tennis tables in the playgrounds near large apartment complexes. In the yard when I grew up, there were few tables as well. When the weather permitted, I and a few other guys played a lot there. But we were not the only ones: on the evenings large companies of local gangstas showed up. Well, technically they were not gangsters, but young dudes with deep admiration of the criminal subculture. For those who are interested, you my try to look up the term "gopnik" on the internet :) They were usually drunk and drinking beer in the process. They often played with the bat in one hand, and a bottle of cheap beer in the other, some of them played well this way :) The most hilarious thing that happened was when one of those guys, being really drunk, fell on the table while playing, and couldn't stand up. His friends quickly elevated him and he continued playing, I think he even won that game.

At that time I had no training and no technique -- in US it is called a "basement" kind of player. At the same time, some of those guys had training when they were younger, so I often lost to them even when they were drunk :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
There is a sports bar called the Blitz Ladd in Portland. There were 4 tables there. I use to have my TT lessons there around noon. Others would come in and buy beers and play TT. In the evening there is a lot of drinking and playing TT. I think this is common at sports bars with TT.

I have mentioned before that during my last trip to China I had a nice meal with a lot of professors at a university. There was a lot of toasting "kong bei" ( empty glass ) with white wine ( like vodka ) and then we played TT. We were more than relaxed. The quality of TT was poor. The advice I have is to don't try any thin looping or anything else that requires timing. Just get the ball in play then hit it back. However, it was a very good social event. BTW, the average Chinese person is not that good at TT.

I haven't seen anybody play like they are on non-prescription drugs at the club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
In my (limited) experience, 1-2 drinks make you play a bit better, at least for a while - you are relaxed, fearless and willing to 'go for it' more than usual. Plus, these games typically have no real meaning anyway, so that helps.

Anything more than that, and hand-eye coordination starts to suffer quite a bit and so does judgement (shot selection). That's when quality of play goes downhill.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
IN Korea, you gotta give up handiap points to lower rated players.

I defeated all our lower rated Div 5 and Div 4 players (with 3-4 handicap) so to make it interesting, I would off a BEER HANDICAP where we would both drink a beer within 30 minutes and I would have to drink additional beers within the same 30 minutes to complete the handicap. I still won and somehow performed stronger in that.