Could Zhang Jike play single in Rio 2016

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
Hi everyone,
Please tell me know, Zhang Jike could play single in Rio 2016. 2 player in country, it means: Ma Long and Fang Zhen Dong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Why fan zhendong? he lost to all the other 3 main players in the trials. Furthermore liu guoliang stated that the team trials were focused on ma long and zhang jike, zhang ended 2nd in the team trials and has not fully recovered from his injury. FZD is too young and he only proved himself against Xu xin , he consistently loses against ma and zhang in important matches.

Ma long and zhang are probably going for Rio singles and Xu xin for 3rd player, I dont think LGL will give FZD a chance, maybe not even letting him play at the asian trials (wait...can he do that? I dont know Im just speculating). Objectively the right thing to do is to throw the big 3 in the asian trials with XX as the team player, because FZD is still young and he can even achieve a double grand slam if he continues like this.

then again it will be really interesting if all of them and maybe a 5th player can compete in the asian trials and maybe a surprise can happen there, eliminating ma long or zhang who are clearly the favorites depending in their current condition. Im just speculating that if LGL has a choice on who he can send in the trials the 3 main players will participate and not even fan zhendong probably to avoid any unwated sruprising results (fzd eliminating one of the other three)

Then again that's only speculations, we will have to wait untill the asian trials and see what happens there

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
According to a thread on mytt, each country can send four players to the trials and there shall be rounds of qualification with each round taking a player from each of the Asian regions (ITTF demarcates 5). The current entrants are the Chinese top 4 for China so ZJK is very much in the running as are the other three.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
According to a thread on mytt, each country can send four players to the trials and there shall be rounds of qualification with each round taking a player from each of the Asian regions (ITTF demarcates 5). The current entrants are the Chinese top 4 for China so ZJK is very much in the running as are the other three.

Thanks for the info. It would be really exciting to see FZD, eliminating one of the big 3, although I think it wont happen. He is the less experienced player and he often succumbs to various "jedi mind tricks" even when he is ahead in score

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Well, this article seems to end all the foolish speculation that people feel Liu Gouliang, by some bizarre turn of events, will prevent 2 of these 4 from entering the trials because he favors someone specific.

LGL is sane. He wants these 4 to compete and earn their spots. This is the same ethic that causes China to have trials for the WTTC events.

So, hopefully we won't hear too many more conspiracy theories. YOU HAVE TO WIN YOUR SPOT TO QUALIFY. I know, I said that months ago, years ago, in fact, since people complained that LGL had something against Ma Long and therefore chose ZJK and Wang Hao over ML for the 2012 Olympics. MA LONG DID NOT QUALIFY TO PLAY IN THE 2012 OLYMPIC SINGLES. This year we will get to watch the trials for the Olympic games and see who performs best under pressure for those honors.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well, this article seems to end all the foolish speculation that people feel Liu Gouliang, by some bizarre turn of events, will prevent 2 of these 4 from entering the trials because he favors someone specific.

LGL is sane. He wants these 4 to compete and earn their spots. This is the same ethic that causes China to have trials for the WTTC events.

So, hopefully we won't hear too many more conspiracy theories. YOU HAVE TO WIN YOUR SPOT TO QUALIFY. I know, I said that months ago, years ago, in fact, since people complained that LGL had something against Ma Long and therefore chose ZJK and Wang Hao over ML for the 2012 Olympics. MA LONG DID NOT QUALIFY TO PLAY IN THE 2012 OLYMPIC SINGLES. This year we will get to watch the trials for the Olympic games and see who performs best under pressure for those honors.

Im with you Carl, I think LGL mostly cares about china being no1 in every competition and not so much about who will win. He has produced so many great players that even FZD can attend alone in the olympics and clinch the title, as long as his mentality is good. People forget that we are not in the 50's or the 80'swhere the communist party decides everything, fixing matches and favoring one player over another