Using both Penhold and Shakehand?

I consider myself lucky as I have 2 clubs near me. One is predominantly Asian (all penholders except me) and one where everyone uses Shakehand. My wife is Asian and a penholder.

I'm starting to get a urge to be a dual player; penholder and Shakehand. Not sure why I'm compelled to switch back and forth. Possibly due to the challenge or possibly the better understanding of how to oppose them (by playing as them)?

Does anybody else play both styles?

This user has no status.
I started to play as jpen, then switch to cpen and now handshake.
Sometime i feel the urge to play as cpen or jpen. I even spent some money to assemble a nice setup for both.
As for motivation...idk...maybe the forehand feeling...the 1 ply hinoki forehand counterdrive or the wizardry that cpen is capable off...i think its all comes to different senses and experience. Feels like i play very differently with each style and not dropping my level that much.
And even among these 3 styles, theres still the short pips setups...ohh :p

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
Curiosity was probably the main reason I tried the different grips.
As I make blades as a hobby and have some used rubbers laying around, assembling a penhold frame wasn't that hard.

The thing I like most about the penhold grip, is how easy it is to put lots of sidespin on serves and strokes and really use the wrist. For me, this is where penhold is alot better than shakehand. That being said, my penhold game is nowhere near my usual shakehand game. But in a practice/fun environment it's really cool to curve the ball in all sorts of ways.

Some things that might be benificial for your regular game:
- Playing different styles give you insight and feeling in the physics of the game. I never encounter penhold players but just getting the feel for spin is positive.
- For me switching grips (and allso equipment) makes me re-focus. I tend to sometimes go into auto-pilot and just start smacking every ball. The variety makes me focus on executing the strokes correctly and not just going all-offensive-no-brainer-mode.
- Penhold is somewhat more forehand oriented, so you start moving your feet more.

Reactions: BeGo and Paccheco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I played about 2 years with penhold grip after 20 years as shakehand, beginning when I was 53 old and improving near my best level as well as shakehand. I stopped because of footwork, to difficult with my age in hitting the ball always with forehand.

I liked penhold style very well

Playing both penhold and shakehand seems to me very difficult, you must train a lot both styles !

here after 1 year

Reactions: chuckjordan2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Penholders live in a post-apocalyptic world with a left-handed Mad Max (Xu Xin) as their lone leader. Shakehanders live in Elysium with all the resources and support at their disposal.

What I mean is the selection of penhold blades is small and all the tutorials are made by shakehanders. What's out there for penholders are old, retro vhs videos in Chinese. And since the modern penhold game more often resembles a shakehand game I figured I might as well go to the dark side and try shakehand.

What I found was that my backhand block felt very comfortable and surprisingly, I had some nice loops with my forehand. What I also discovered was my "player's elbow" was really bothering me quite a bit, compared penhold. But like the others, I'm just doing this for fun so if occasionally playing shakehand is wrong than I don't wanna be a right.