Any advice welcome...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A few years ago, that was the advice I was given by a guy who is a friend who is a pro. I had a tendency to smack balls and not to spin that much. He said: "spin everything." Just that, trying to get HEAVY topspin on all my shots helped more than you could imagine. Just like NextLevel explained.

"I like to put heavy topspin on the ball!" Hahaha.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I think necax007 who was complaining about your footwork needs to stop using cut and paste...

Your movement and athleticism is pretty good and excellent for an amateur adult and it will only improve as your strokes and anticipation gets better. The biggest thing is to play with more spin as as Dan said. That is the reason why you are afraid to rally.

I think your serve and receive mindset will change if you start approaching the game with a heavy spin mindset as many of the best strokes for returning serves are spin strokes. Spin bothers people and limits options - you don't have to hit the ball hard every time to win the point. The change from hitting for pace to playing for spin and placement is the hardest adjustment for many players to make but those who make it get better really really fast. I think for you, as others have said, while you want to end the point early, you need to expand your mindset to embrace the rally.

So spin and embrace the rally. Even when returning serve, think spin.

I did not use cut and paste and i didn't compplain about anything. He ask for opinions and gave mine. I believe if your body motion gets better, everything gets better. But if that bothers you, i can keep my opinions to my self a let all the advices to you....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I did not use cut and paste and i didn't compplain about anything. He ask for opinions and gave mine. I believe if your body motion gets better, everything gets better. But if that bothers you, i can keep my opinions to my self a let all the advices to you....

Hey, it's bad form to mock people for venturing their opinions if the mocking rocks them the wrong way so I apologize. Your response just showed a bit of inexperience looking at the games of adult players. Der_Echte's response was appropriate and identified the salient issues. I would venture that Takkyu's athleticism and posture is at least in the top 25% of people his age playing this sport who didn't start as kids.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Oh... Ok then. English is not my native language so sometimes is hard to understand jokes or mockery. I'm sorry.

I just talk about body motion because every time i notice my movements are better, my strokes are better too. And i'm 33, so i'm not that young. You have mencioned the BH, the serve and the spin, so the only thing missing was the feet.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
necax, English isn't NL's first language either, and you can ALMOST say that about me too.

In just about every case related to advice for an amature player, I am nearly always in the "SPIN IT" camp as your first weapon, unless the ball is too high and dead, then go ahead and power away.

Anyone who has seen my games live, whether lower rated are several levers better than me will KNOW that Der_Echte will spin it up like no other. There is a reason for that, and Next Level and Dan explain it very well. In case anyone missed the advantages of spinning really heavy the first ball given the chance...

1) You get more control of landing percentage
2) You win on your opener or get a ball back to continue attacking with a power shot to win the point or lead to it
3) You surprise your opponent and if he or she does not deal with attacking heavy spin, then they will not attack - big advantage to you
4) You get often the first decisive topspin in the rally
5) You now have a chance to remove spin from your opening shot and win the point, then put heavy spin back on and win
6) You buy yourself more time, ball lands more slowly, gives you more time to see opponent and his shot
7) Timing is more difficult for opponent, much different than the BANG BANG fast topspin they train against
8 - When opponent fast attacks to your FH or pocket, then you can heavy hookshot it, slow it down and bend the laws of physics themselves and land stuff and move opponent out of position to allow you a much easier way to win point on next shot, if they get it back.

I stop at those 8 great reasons.

EDIT: NL highlights the importance of heavy slow spin as it forces an opponent to stop playing by quick twitch instinct and think. Thinking during a point is bad for your TT health, it takes too long.
It also helps to have several BH shots, both heavy spin and speed shots quick off the bounce. Helps, but need so huge if you have a good step around.

Takkyu has been taught all his life to step around and rip the FH, that is Macho TT for Asian players and it is true, and next is quick feet for that. Takkyu has those, but hasn't gotten consistent enough with that fast FH to win the point each time he tries to do that. Spinning every ball like a champ at first is not an easy task either, but it is simple and effective, opens doors for other options if they are trained.

I wanted to keep my first response to what would immediately improve him to ONE area. Dan pretty much simplified it all to (said improve Serve/Receive and Spin/Control game) NL kept it to ONE thing, even though he coulda wrote a whole TT book on that clip.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
necax, English isn't NL's first language either, and you can ALMOST say that about me too.

In just about every case related to advice for an amature player, I am nearly always in the "SPIN IT" camp as your first weapon, unless the ball is too high and dead, then go ahead and power away.

Anyone who has seen my games live, whether lower rated are several levers better than me will KNOW that Der_Echte will spin it up like no other. There is a reason for that, and Next Level and Dan explain it very well. In case anyone missed the advantages of spinning really heavy the first ball given the chance...

1) You get more control of landing percentage
2) You win on your opener or get a ball back to continue attacking with a power shot to win the point or lead to it
3) You surprise your opponent and if he or she does not deal with attacking heavy spin, then they will not attack - big advantage to you
4) You get often the first decisive topspin in the rally
5) You now have a chance to remove spin from your opening shot and win the point, then put heavy spin back on and win
6) You buy yourself more time, ball lands more slowly, gives you more time to see opponent and his shot
7) Timing is more difficult for opponent, much different than the BANG BANG fast topspin they train against
8 - When opponent fast attacks to your FH or pocket, then you can heavy hookshot it, slow it down and bend the laws of physics themselves and land stuff and move opponent out of position to allow you a much easier way to win point on next shot, if they get it back.

I stop at those 8 great reasons.

EDIT: NL highlights the importance of heavy slow spin as it forces an opponent to stop playing by quick twitch instinct and think. Thinking during a point is bad for your TT health, it takes too long.
It also helps to have several BH shots, both heavy spin and speed shots quick off the bounce. Helps, but need so huge if you have a good step around.

Takkyu has been taught all his life to step around and rip the FH, that is Macho TT for Asian players and it is true, and next is quick feet for that. Takkyu has those, but hasn't gotten consistent enough with that fast FH to win the point each time he tries to do that. Spinning every ball like a champ at first is not an easy task either, but it is simple and effective, opens doors for other options if they are trained.

I wanted to keep my first response to what would immediately improve him to ONE area. Dan pretty much simplified it all to (said improve Serve/Receive and Spin/Control game) NL kept it to ONE thing, even though he coulda wrote a whole TT book on that clip.

Ok! got it! one thing! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
Regarding my mindset, i think its also due to the weakness of my mental game.
I agree. Others have said you are too ambitious or chill but I would say you are trying too hard without really concentrating.
I think you should have won that match. You seem to be much more mobile with a better FH but the other player played a more steady and consistent game. The last game he was playing cautiously at the end counting on you to screw up in the end.

Ditto the comments on serve and serve return. None of the serves by either player looked that difficult to return. All the other comments are good but you can improve fastest by concentrating on the serve and serve return and having more patience. Give the other guy a change to screw up.

I sentence you to watch 10 PushBlocker videos ( the forum cries out OH NO! ). Pushblocker plays a very good mental game with lots of patience. He plays percentages and knows that not every point is going to go his way.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree. Others have said you are too ambitious or chill but I would say you are trying too hard without really concentrating.
I think you should have won that match. You seem to be much more mobile with a better FH but the other player played a more steady and consistent game. The last game he was playing cautiously at the end counting on you to screw up in the end.

Ditto the comments on serve and serve return. None of the serves by either player looked that difficult to return. All the other comments are good but you can improve fastest by concentrating on the serve and serve return and having more patience. Give the other guy a change to screw up.

I sentence you to watch 10 PushBlocker videos ( the forum cries out OH NO! ). Pushblocker plays a very good mental game with lots of patience. He plays percentages and knows that not every point is going to go his way.

This is an excellent comment.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus