Who do you think will win the German Open 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

• Fang Bo

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity drops tomorrow!
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity drops tomorrow!
Administrator
Oct 2010
The 2016 German Open is the 2nd World Tour of the year and will take place in Berlin. The German Open ITTF World Tour begins on the 27th January and concludes on the 31st January. This is a super World Tour event with China's Ma Long leading the men's singles standings.

Total number of entries so far is: 404

Main Draw

Men's Singles
Women's Singles
Men's Doubles
Women's Doubles

Live matches from the German Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat with TableTennisDaily members!

China's Ma Long, the World #1 has entered the German Open as the #1 seed.

malonggermanopen2015.jpg

Ma Long no.1 seed - Photo by: ITTF

Men's Singles Seeds

timobollgermanopen20152.jpg

Host nations's Timo Boll enters the German Open as the #4 seed - Photo by noz.de

01) Ma Long
02) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
03) Zhang Jike
04) Timo Boll
05) Marcos Freitas
06) Chuang Chih Yuan
07) Fang Bo
08) Vladimir Samsonov
09) Wong Chun Ting
10) Jung Youngsik
11) Koki Niwa
12) Joo Se Hyuk
13) Tang Peng
14) Yan An
15) Lee Sang Su
16) Gao Ning

Women Singles Seeds

aifukuhara2016.jpg

Ai Fukuhara enters the German Open as the #1 seed - Photo by: olger Straede - Damen

01) Ai Fukuhara
02) Kasumi Ishikawa
03) Feng Tianwei
04) Han Ying
05) Wu Yang
06) Ito Mima
07) Seo Hyowon
08) Jeon Jihee
09) Mu Zi
10) Petrissa Solja
11) Miu Hirano
12) Shan Xiaona
13) Li Jie
14) Yang Haeun
15) Elizabeta Samara
16) Li Jiao

For full player entries click here.

Live matches from the German Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat with TableTennisDaily members!

We are all in for a treat this week! What an event the German Open will be! Ma Long the number 1 seed will be very tough to beat. However Dimitrij Ovtcharov will not go down without a fight. It is great to see Timo Boll back from his knee injury, he will be looking to find his form. China's Zhang Jike and Fang Bo are also in the mix. Can anyone eliminate top seed Ma Long? Marcos Freitas, Chuang Chih Yuan and Vladimir Samsonov will give their all to reach the final and secure a World Tour win. A fantastic event to follow, be sure to get involved on the TTD discussions and join us in the live chat in the ITTF Live Streaming!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular World Tour event! What are your predictions from each event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
What about Xu Xin and Fan Zhendong? Why don't they appear although they were listed in the entry list before?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Does this mean that Ma Long and ZJK could meet in semis ?

IT depends on how they put the 3 and 4 seeds. My guess is that they should be on opposite sides of the draw unless it is not a pure snake seed. I mean, does Germany really want Dima playing Boll in a potential semis?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
IT depends on how they put the 3 and 4 seeds. My guess is that they should be on opposite sides of the draw unless it is not a pure snake seed. I mean, does Germany really want Dima playing Boll in a potential semis?
I know, in tennis I see that the draw is setup in a way that the 1st seed plays the 4th seed in semis and the 2nd the 3rd.
However, I have seen examples otherwise in table tennis , thats why I was wondering ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I know, in tennis I see that the draw is setup in a way that the 1st seed plays the 4th seed in semis and the 2nd the 3rd.
However, I have seen examples otherwise in table tennis , thats why I was wondering ..

Actually, in tennis, 3 and 4 are dropped in randomly into different halves. So either 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 or 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 is possible. In a pure snake seed, it is 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. In the random version, only 1 and 2 are not in the same half. 3 and 4 are randomly put into different halves, 5-8 get split 2 each, 9-16 get split 4 each, 16-32 get split 8 each depending on the depth of the seeding and the size of the draw.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thank you :)
Actually, in tennis, 3 and 4 are dropped in randomly into different halves. So either 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 or 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 is possible. In a pure snake seed, it is 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. In the random version, only 1 and 2 are not in the same half. 3 and 4 are randomly put into different halves, 5-8 get split 2 each, 9-16 get split 4 each, 16-32 get split 8 each depending on the depth of the seeding and the size of the draw.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Looks like ML and ZJK are in the same half of the draw - I guess Germany wanted a finalist ;).
Yup, the draw was conducted exactly like in the random scenario you described above for tennis, so there was a slight 50/50 chance of that happening.:p
More details here: http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/hb.asp?s_number=3.06&

Not sure Germany will get that finalist though. Both Boll and Ovcharov will have to fight their way through Samsonov, Chuang and Yan An before they'd get there. Not exactly a walk in the park, IMHO :)

Anyway, here's to Timo Boll staying healthy enough the make it through the tournament. I'd love to see that no matter the result.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
of course we can never know how ZJK if going to perform. We all know he can beat everyone and also loose to everyone. He has quite tough opponents before he will face Ma Long. First he has to beat Wong, which should not be so hard, but the Fang Bo will come. First half is much better then the second one. Anyway in the second probably Ovtachrov meets Jung Yungsik. Boll is not performing well after surgery, last week he easily lost to Freitas in 3 sets.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Papageorgiou won against Assar Khalid and then Chen Chien An. It would be interesting to see if they had problems with papa's BH (short pimples). That was really unexpected results and I didnt think much of Papa (I hate his somehow "lazy" footwork) although he made some amazing results in the past. Beating much better trained players with greater level of practice is always a big achievement.

Last edited: