Hello again everyone and welcome to episode 7 of the TableTennisDaily podcast. In this episode we are joined alongside current world number 7 Marcos Freitas. Marcos currently plays for Pontoise Cergy in the French pro A division with former podcast guest Kristian Karlsson as well as Tristan Flore and Jian Jun Wang. Marcos is captain of the Portuguese men's national team, the team that won European team championships in 2014.

We talk to Marcos about his career and how Portugal are so successful with very little resources. Marcos then gives invaluable, extremely detailed information about how different training styles and hard work have taken him to the world top ten. We also ask about his various equipment in which he had some gave some extraordinary insights and discussed his trip to the butterfly factory in Japan where there was parts of factory that even he wasn't allowed into due to tenergy production secrets. We really hope you enjoy this podcast full of fantastic tips and thoughts from one of the worlds greatest players.

We would also like to give a big thank you, personally, to Marcos for giving up such a large amount of time to speak to us as we know he is extremely busy. It's great to see these great players and experts really giving back to the fans. Here's the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4104068/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00:00 Intro
01:01 Marcos talks about about how much he currently trains.
01:30 Marcos talks about how he got into table tennis. You
02:05 How good was Marcos at a young age?
02:30 Thoughts in talent.
04:00 Juggling school with training.
04:55 Portuguese table tennis and moving to Germany.
06:20 Current state of Portuguese table tennis.
08:29 Marcos's time at the Werner Schlager academy.
11:10 Some advice from Marcos that he has learnt from top coaches.
12:36 Day to day training for Marcos and most important aspects of training.
14:30 Regular vs Irregular training and more advice for less experienced players.
16:10 Good exercises for regular practise.
18:00 Marcos's take on serve practise.
20:00 What makes a great serve.
22:00 Multi ball.
24:27 Strength and conditioning.
28:45 Dealing with nerves.
29:56 Winning European team championships in 2014.
33:06 Playing Chinese players.
34:37 Ma Long.
36:18 Would training with the Chinese National Team take you to their level?
37:00 Europe vs China, is the standard getting closer?
38:12 Potential of Marcos playing Chinese super league.
39:09 Visiting Butterly HQ In Tokyo. (secret production)
40:48 Marcos's current equipment and bat setup.
41:48 Are rubbers always the same?
42:28 Chinese National Team Hurricane rubber that only Chinese national team have access to. MUST LISTEN!
44:20 Plastic ball.
45:30 TableTennisDaily member/social media questions.

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store.

What do you think about Marcos's opinions on the world of table tennis?
Thanks for listening!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Guys, china isnt no1 because everybody plays table tennis. Its their mentality and systematic training. Arguements like "everybody in brazil" plays football are plain stupid if you ask me. In many latin countries all the kids play soccer or basketball but their country isnt world champion for 16 consecutive years in team competition.

Sebas aguirre is hilarious, dont pay attention to him and please check this video from Richard prause, very informative

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
Guys, china isnt no1 because everybody plays table tennis. Its their mentality and systematic training. Arguements like "everybody in brazil" plays football are plain stupid if you ask me. In many latin countries all the kids play soccer or basketball but their country isnt world champion for 16 consecutive years in team competition.

Sebas aguirre is hilarious, dont pay attention to him and please check this video from Richard prause, very informative

I agree and disagree the fact that they have so many players helps but is definitely not the only deciding factor as there are many, as you say their mentality and training methods are one of many other important reasons. Great Video by the way, Richard Prause really is one of the most knowledgable guys in world table tennis. We have recorded a podcast with him which is to be released soon so be sure to keep an eye out!

This user has no status.
Hello again everyone and welcome to episode 7 of the TableTennisDaily podcast. In this episode we are joined alongside current world number 7 Marcos Freitas. Marcos currently plays for Pontoise Cergy in the French pro A division with former podcast guest Kristian Karlsson as well as Tristan Flore and Jian Jun Wang. Marcos is captain of the Portuguese men's national team, the team that won European team championships in 2014.

We talk to Marcos about his career and how Portugal are so successful with very little resources. Marcos then gives invaluable, extremely detailed information about how different training styles and hard work have taken him to the world top ten. We also ask about his various equipment in which he had some gave some extraordinary insights and discussed his trip to the butterfly factory in Japan where there was parts of factory that even he wasn't allowed into due to tenergy production secrets. We really hope you enjoy this podcast full of fantastic tips and thoughts from one of the worlds greatest players.

We would also like to give a big thank you, personally, to Marcos for giving up such a large amount of time to speak to us as we know he is extremely busy. It's great to see these great players and experts really giving back to the fans. Here's the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4104068/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00:00 Intro
01:01 Marcos talks about about how much he currently trains.
01:30 Marcos talks about how he got into table tennis. You
02:05 How good was Marcos at a young age?
02:30 Thoughts in talent.
04:00 Juggling school with training.
04:55 Portuguese table tennis and moving to Germany.
06:20 Current state of Portuguese table tennis.
08:29 Marcos's time at the Werner Schlager academy.
11:10 Some advice from Marcos that he has learnt from top coaches.
12:36 Day to day training for Marcos and most important aspects of training.
14:30 Regular vs Irregular training and more advice for less experienced players.
16:10 Good exercises for regular practise.
18:00 Marcos's take on serve practise.
20:00 What makes a great serve.
22:00 Multi ball.
24:27 Strength and conditioning.
28:45 Dealing with nerves.
29:56 Winning European

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
These podcasts a unique feature and it makes this site a must-visit for any table tennis fan. I was really impressed with the quality of the questions and the quality of the answers. My guess is that he enjoyed being asked intelligent table tennis questions. I loved the honesty of his answers. I just became big fan. One thing towards the end I thought was interesting is his mentioning that players can be good without feeling, which you either have or you don't. I was also interested that along with everything else, he thinks Ma Long may also have the best serves. I need to watch that more closely. Not surprisingly, he likes Nittaku Premium and Butterfly G40+ balls better. Interesting also that he has used the same old Maze blade for a decade.

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Keep up the Podcast try to do as many as you can i love this so much that you TableTennisDaily

Will do Kobe! :)

These podcasts a unique feature and it makes this site a must-visit for any table tennis fan. I was really impressed with the quality of the questions and the quality of the answers. My guess is that he enjoyed being asked intelligent table tennis questions. I loved the honesty of his answers. I just became big fan. One thing towards the end I thought was interesting is his mentioning that players can be good without feeling, which you either have or you don't. I was also interested that along with everything else, he thinks Ma Long may also have the best serves. I need to watch that more closely. Not surprisingly, he likes Nittaku Premium and Butterfly G40+ balls better. Interesting also that he has used the same old Maze blade for a decade.

Thanks Baal, much appreciated! I really like his honest answers to, i think that's what makes this podcast really cool to listen to is that he is very open with his answers. Your right about Ma Long's serves, I just watched him in his opening match at the WTTTC against Choe II and the deception in Ma Long's serve is phenomenal. I wonder if his Maze blade is from the black tag edition :D

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think it would have to be a black tag from that era.

Reactions: Dan