Chinese rubber as a backhand rubber

This user has no status.
Good day everyone!

I recently changed my Nittaku Alhelg 1.8mm to a Globe 999 1.8mm a chinese rubber
Push, chop, Block, Punch are going great

but i am having a hard time with Attacking an opponents FH/BH Topspin which always go out when i attack back with my BH

and also to BH Loop vs Backspin is more of a hit and miss for me, i can do 3/10 successful BH loops vs Backspin

Please provide your advice :)

as it will be greatly appreciated :D

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think the 999 topsheet is one of the best China ever produced for a semi-tacky control topsheet. MANY companies licence this topshete for their rubbers. Problem is the sponge many companies use is not so ggod.

I recommend using a sponge you like and trust with 999 topsheet, like Quattro or Air, colestt.com in USA custom glues such combos and they are a price efficient solution.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
What made you want to try Chinese rubber on BH? It is much harder to use on BH than FH.

How was the old rubber in comparison. Did the things you were having trouble with work better?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

for my BH i never go higher than 1.8mm
Alhelg 1.8mm was also a good rubber. Med sponge. Great control. To me its a great control tensor rubber. idk, i was just trying chinese rubber on my BH for kicks, and we just clicked.

For me, when i switched, my serve was shorter, spinnier, push is really really short, chops were very heavy, block returns are short, flick/sidespin flick has more control and consistent.

but now im having a dilemma in the attacking department @o@

oh well, more multiball :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think the 999 topsheet is one of the best China ever produced for a semi-tacky control topsheet. MANY companies licence this topshete for their rubbers. Problem is the sponge many companies use is not so ggod.

I recommend using a sponge you like and trust with 999 topsheet, like Quattro or Air, colestt.com in USA custom glues such combos and they are a price efficient solution.

YES!!! I 100% AGREE THAT THEY HAVE GREAT TOPSHEETS!! :D

ever since moving back to my home country, getting seperate 999 topsheets and sponge is very hard (Unless really really rich) I used to buy them from Eacheng and Affordablett in australia.

My fave combo Yinhe medium sponge with 999 topsheet <3

Colestt is a genius when it comes to attaching seperate topsheets to different sponges but shipping is very expensive for one rubber. had a chat with him a while back :)

This user has no status.
Op, I had the exact same problem with 999 on my backhand. I could push and serve a lot of better competitors than myself out of a rally but if they flicked or attacked I was done on backhand. You may be best off with a semi-tacky rubber like 2008 XP (my current rubber as well). The short game is still around 85-90% as good while the attacking/countering game has improved leaps and bounds. I'd imagine, though, sticking with the 999 for awhile and really drilling your drives and loops may bring the topspin game up to par and leave you with a nasty spin game to boot. Worth a try!

This user has no status.
Op, I had the exact same problem with 999 on my backhand. I could push and serve a lot of better competitors than myself out of a rally but if they flicked or attacked I was done on backhand. You may be best off with a semi-tacky rubber like 2008 XP (my current rubber as well). The short game is still around 85-90% as good while the attacking/countering game has improved leaps and bounds. I'd imagine, though, sticking with the 999 for awhile and really drilling your drives and loops may bring the topspin game up to par and leave you with a nasty spin game to boot. Worth a try!

True True mate :) im going to do some multi ball drills for a bit. if not i may switch to a semi tacky one

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
This is a nice topic. I started out with Chinese rubbers on my back hand And there a lot of things I really like and miss about them. I played the 2008 xp, inspirit, and globe 999t with Quattro sponge 1.8 (first as a forehand then moved to bh all from Cole) and Sanwei gears. My backhand has come around slower I had to build some strength up in my sholder but it's really come around as pretty reliable Attack option and as soon as I moved to euro rubbers that became even more the case for me. But even with that I have always missed small things about a good Chinese tacky rubber on the bh. And right know for fun I recently put a h3 on the fh and a h3-50 on the back hand on my backup blade. both have one Layer of Falco long boost which helps some and Again it's just for kicks. I played with the backup blade today and it's just a really fun set up. I have a ton of confidence at serve return and really love the control, awsome short game touch, deadly back spin push, tacky chops, bh flip, blocking ability with the 3-50. The 999 with Quattro sponge is really similar to this. Of course I you can put balls away close to the table even the low balls but that not a lot different than good euro rubbers and miss the put away power that any of the euro rubbers I use have with topspin Exchanges. There very spiny which gets you a few points but for me with better players it's coming back after they make the small adjustment. So I guess my point is I totally hear what your saying about tacky Chinese bh rubbers. If I could only get the perfect combo rubber all would be solved [emoji3]. But depending on your game there are a lot of possible pro's and I could see it working different styles. a close to the table type player or defenders too name a few. Wang hao comes to mind.

Regarding bh loop vs back spin with a Chinese tacky rubber. I saw this very thorough article in a post somewhere on the board it discuses looping backspin and what the best rubber is for that is etc and what comes into play when performing that shot. It's a really good artical if you get a chance take a look. the supper condensed over simplified (oversimplified for my sake not yours) conclusion is when looping back spin with a tacky rubber you need greater bat head speed through contact than with a non tacky rubber. I have also found this to be true. really no great wisdom here but the worth passing the article along. But if your accustomed to looping with your nittaku alhelg the main difference would be a need for greater acceleration on that shot. Of course other things come into play such as path and angle of your bat etc.
https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2016/01/03/the-best-rubber-to-loop-backspin/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
When playing Chinese or tacky rubbers on your BH you need to give extra wrist movement to al your strokes.
Lifting up under spin snap your wrist upwards following with your forearm
And counter looping is the same but snap your wrist forward

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
I tried DHS Skyline 3-60 mid-hard once. It is very easy to do a backhand loop with this rubber. I wouldn't take the soft version, cause it's just too soft. It's tacky and you can get decent effect on your serves out of this rubber. It's not bouncy like Tenergy, so you have to get used to not be able to block passively so much. Compared to Hurricane it plays very easy.

Watch WLQ matches since 2012, he changes bh rubber from T64 to DHS H3 Neo, at the same year he overcame best 4 players of London Olympics (ZJK at 2012 China National Championships, Wang Hao at Chinese Warm-up to London, Dima at VW China vs World in Shanghai and Chuang at 2012 Asian Cup) and Ma Long in 1st leg of Chinese Super League Finals. He improved BH strokes as well but lost some adventages in strong smash on FH. Chinese always looking for one slower and tacky rubber for FH (it give them strong and short strokes with great control and serves with receiving) and faster rubber for BH. It tactics live since Kong Linghui back from training in Sweden and Italy (1993-1995). Coach Li Xiaodong said that giving Wang Liqin tacky rubber on BH could give him some shoulder injuries. Maybe at local or provincial level it doesn't matter but on national and international playing with two tacky rubbers could be danger for muscle health.

Reactions: gmiller2233
says Footwork footwork footwork
I’m also in love with TG3-60 for my Bh (RPB). I use 2.2 (mid) in red as well. Never tried black.

It’s a good compromise coming from tensors transitioning to full Chinese style. I’ve used 39deg H3 Neo on Bh too which feels very stable but you really need to have a strong stroke to keep up with this as a backhand rubber. Also, basically passive blocks are extinct and you need some sort of movement to get the ball back. I’m not exactly ready for that, but maybe it just takes the switch to get it down quickest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: