Who do you think will win the 2016 Europe Top 16?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Andrej Gacina

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Stefan Fegerl

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Robert Gardos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gionis Panagiotis

• Tiago Apolonia

• Par Gerell

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This user has no status.
Hi!

Just got home from the games! It's 4km from my house!

I saw great games today and some strange ones too.

Monteiro was amazing all day. He defeated Dima thas was play very well in the previous games. Against Monteiro he looked very tired and slow.

Tiago Apolónia was playing the best i saw from him but Marco Freitas wasn't. I don't know if he was nervous of playing in Portugal or if he is in bad shape.

But the player that impressed me more today was Fegerl.

It's the third time i see pros playing and god..... it's soooo different from us mortals...

Tomorrow i'm working and i can't go to the maches... :(

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Quarter Finals Draw

Men

Joao MonteiroPOR vs Vladimir Samsonov
Alexander Shibaev vs Bastian Steger
Dimitrij Ovtcharov vs Tiago Apolonia
Kristian Karlsson vs Stefan Fegerl

Women

Elizabeta Samara vs Tetyang Bilenko
Sabine Winter vs Yanfei Shen
Liu Jia vs Sofia Polcanova
Georgina Pota vs Hu Melek

Matches will be live today from 10am GMT!

Table 1 stream: http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/livestream/2016-02-06-ittf-europe-top-16-cup-table-1
Table 2 stream: http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/livestream/2016-02-06-ittf-europe-top-16-cup-table-2

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Damn, Dima looks incredible!
Apolonia tried, and I feel rea'ly bad for him.

That's right!

Yesterday Dima was playing very well too. But in the last game against Monteiro he looked tired. But today he came as strong as before!

If he plays again that way he is in the final.

This user has no status.
Anyone saw Shibaev vs Steger ?? at the end of the match steger was complaining about something, and someones racket was taken away and put in a brown paper bag... boosting allegations or you always give your racket to the referrees?
Steger was complaining about wrong services during the whole match. The female referee actually did a quite good job counting off a lot of Shibaev's services, in the third set alone I counted four for example. No idea why the male referee put someones racket in that paper bag though.

Although Monteiro played well, Samsonov played very weak, something wasn't right with him. Any information?

Ovtcharov very strong :)

Reactions: Suga D and Rayeez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Although Monteiro played well, Samsonov played very weak, something wasn't right with him. Any information?

Exactly my thoughts, he didn't look physically tired though. I think something personal happened; this is the first time I've seen him look so depressed and uninterested. It was a shame to see him like that especially after his incredible performance last week.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I just saw the ITTF results and match "branch"; I can't make heads or tails of how the system works. Vladi already lost to Monteiro, so why does he still have another match tomorrow??

What will the position determine?
Will it be 1vs8, 2vs7 etc?

Playing system

The tournament shall consist of 2 stages. Round-robin group matches in the firststage, followed by a progressive knockout draw to decide the first 8 positions.Group stage will be played best of 5 games. From quarter-finals on all matchesand all position matches will be played best of 7 games.
Losers of the quarter-finals will play for positions 5-8, respectively for positions 5-6 and for positions 7-8.
Losers of the semi-finals shall play each other for 3
rd place and 4th place.
Positions 9-12 will not be played and players finishing 3
rd in each group will havethe same final position (9th – 12th place).
Positions 13-16 will not be played and players finishing 4th in each group will havethe same final position (13th – 16th place).
First 3 players in both events will be qualified for 2016 ITTF World Cups with limitof 2 players per association.

The tournament shall be played in accordance with the Laws of Table Tennis andthe Regulations for International Competitions.

This user has no status.
Anyone saw Shibaev vs Steger ?? at the end of the match steger was complaining about something, and someones racket was taken away and put in a brown paper bag... boosting allegations or you always give your racket to the referrees?

Steger was complaining about something during the match against Apolonia again. Maybe about wrong services, I don't know. Apolonia's service is close to be similar to Shibaev's one in my opinion, however, not that bad yet (slightly better trajectory).

As for the paper bag mystery: Steger just had to give his racket to the referee who put it in such a brown paper bag. I think it is for normal control issues, maybe they take random samples after some matches.

Reactions: Reaper

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
How important is this competition? Just seen a bit of Ovtcharov match and it looks like about 20 people watching. It's a total waste of time and you've got to feel sorry for these pros. Whoever's in charge of promoting it...

Over in Belgium, the legends are playing to a packed house and a great atmosphere. Something is clearly not right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
How important is this competition? Just seen a bit of Ovtcharov match and it looks like about 20 people watching. It's a total waste of time and you've got to feel sorry for these pros. Whoever's in charge of promoting it...

Over in Belgium, the legends are playing to a packed house and a great atmosphere. Something is clearly not right.

I also think this competition seems to have no importance. For spectators it should be still interesting to watch top Euro players but it looks that there just some. Table tennis is not popular in Portugal?...
The funny part for me was when i watched the prize money for this:
Winner € 2.000
Runner – up € 1.000
3rd and 4th place (2 x) € 500
5th to 8th place (4 x) € 250

But wait!
You know what is even more funny?
Hospitality:
Single room: EUR 220 per person per night
Double room: EUR 180 per person per night

So poor guys who have to fight till end for 3-8 places because still they will be in big minus :D

Seriuosly, it is very sad :(

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
:D:D offering someone 250 euros is pathetic and embarrasing. I cant imagine ANY other pro sport that would offer that as prize money. Imagine offering that to a tennis player (I wont mention football, as that is a different world altogether) 250 euros is not even enough to pay for Andy Murrays aperitif prior to a meal ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I agree, the prize money is rubbish, but for the players the tournament is not at all a waste of time or unimportant. It has great importance as the top 3 gets to play in the World Cup. That's a prize well worth playing for.

Speaking of a place at the World Cup: Dima and Monteiro are already guaranteed spots so the last spot is decided between Kristian Karlsson and Alexander Shibaev in the match for 3rd place.

The match started a few minutes ago. Let's hope it'll be a great one. Go, go Kristian! :)