Timo Boll Interview: About 80% of pro's are using illegal rackets

They could implement a rule like they used to have in the WRC that any equipment used need to be sold to the public to. So no Blue sponge H3 or W997 bats that are only give to the Chines team.

But what rly needs to be done about ITTF is for the top countries to leave and start a new TT association to get rid of all the crappy rules that ITTF have come up with over the years and just start fresh.

the wrc and world superbikes along with a bunch of other motorsport series use homologation as you mention, this does not do what you expect it to.

take for example the vtr100sp1 that honda developed, the base bike is homologated ie the manufacturer has to make x number of them available for sale to the public. honda did this, hence they were allowed to race the bike. what is not mentioned is that the homologated version is so far from the actual bike that colin edwards raced as to be a completely different machine. you definitely could not get any of the engine management, swingarm, pistons and countless other parts that were only on the racebike over the counter at your local honda dealer. this kinda makes homologation a bit of a joke, which is the state of things in table tennis now as they are pretty much using homologation already (larc is the list of approved/homologation equipment allowed).

not sure what can be done about it, but maybe the first thing to do would be to remove the "only manufacturers can boost rubbers" provision from the rules. rubber may then be more uniform, although the "binning" via sponge hardness and where the rubber was on the bigger sheet would still be a factor. ymmcv

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I like and respect Timo Boll massively. But for him to say that others are boosting, and insinuating he isnt, or doesnt, is a bit rich to say the least. His rubbers are so heavily boosted (ok, at the factory) its unreal. I know this from the horses mouth and people who have played against him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I like and respect Timo Boll massively. But for him to say that others are boosting, and insinuating he isnt, or doesnt, is a bit rich to say the least. His rubbers are so heavily boosted (ok, at the factory) its unreal. I know this from the horses mouth and people who have played against him.

Seems to me that he's just bringing it up as an issue and that the ITTF ought to do something about it.

"In order to prove this, the Rubber has to be removed from the racket and sent to the lab. That's what I am encouraging since long ago. But the International Association considers this unreasonable."

He probably understands why others do it and that he pretty much has to do it himself, otherwise it would be unfair. The simple measure that he's asking of the ITTF they rejected - so it wouldn't make any sense for the pros to put themselves at a disadvantage.

Or is there something I've misunderstood?

Reactions: jedimasterplk
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The club I use to play is Butterfly sponsored. Our Pros never boost and receive regular rubbers. Use only VOC-free glue. They don't send back old rubbers. They give them to the children training in the club.

I think you mean non-VOC glue, or Water Based glue. Still, a good post.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
the wrc and world superbikes along with a bunch of other motorsport series use homologation as you mention, this does not do what you expect it to.

take for example the vtr100sp1 that honda developed, the base bike is homologated ie the manufacturer has to make x number of them available for sale to the public. honda did this, hence they were allowed to race the bike. what is not mentioned is that the homologated version is so far from the actual bike that colin edwards raced as to be a completely different machine. you definitely could not get any of the engine management, swingarm, pistons and countless other parts that were only on the racebike over the counter at your local honda dealer. this kinda makes homologation a bit of a joke, which is the state of things in table tennis now as they are pretty much using homologation already (larc is the list of approved/homologation equipment allowed).

not sure what can be done about it, but maybe the first thing to do would be to remove the "only manufacturers can boost rubbers" provision from the rules. rubber may then be more uniform, although the "binning" via sponge hardness and where the rubber was on the bigger sheet would still be a factor. ymmcv

There is a simple solution: not letting players use their own equipment at tournaments, instead have them select from LARC, assemble and provide by referee before the match (and collected back after).

Just to show that it can be done. This would of course encourage training with vanilla stock material too. It can be done.

I don't see good reasons for banning boosters too.
Boosting makes difference, different standard comercial setups make too. Custom top players' blades make very great and unknown to others differences too.
Timo Ball blames mostly the chinese rubbers he can not get, but lot of the points he has lost against chinese players are from their Tenergy rubbers.

There is a simple solution: not letting players use their own equipment at tournaments, instead have them select from LARC, assemble and provide by referee before the match (and collected back after).

Just to show that it can be done. This would of course encourage training with vanilla stock material too. It can be done.

There is a World Chamionship in Germany for traditional Ping-Pong players, where all players have to play with one and the same standard sandpaper rockets, provided by the organizer.

TT is much different thing, I think.

Last edited:

plenty of players have modifications to their blade (filing down wings on penhold, grip tape or tape to bulk up handle, edge tape/no edge tape, handle change) that would never be practically possible with this sort of rule.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
plenty of players have modifications to their blade (filing down wings on penhold, grip tape or tape to bulk up handle, edge tape/no edge tape, handle change) that would never be practically possible with this sort of rule.

If the goal would be to create a fair, level playing field then custom mods would be exactly what you wouldn't allow. Grip tape might be allowed or not, but once you modify stuff it becomes different from the approved list items. Hence unapproved.

So yes, that would affect the status quo. Intentionally.

Last edited:
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
well, why not stop the long pimple rubber, ?????? if you want it fair, don,t use those funny rubber.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
I agree all boosting should be banned. In these threads you read about all types of substances being used. Some are safe, some are not. Best to ban the lot and only allow in a controlled environment to avoid people blowing themselves up or poisoning themselves with a concoction of kerosine and sump oil. There's no testing in amateur circles which is where I see the problem.
Having said this, I doubt its the primary reason for banning.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
well, why not stop the long pimple rubber, ?????? if you want it fair, don,t use those funny rubber.

What's unfair about LP, SP, Anti?

They're predictable, you can prepare/practice against them and more often than not they are used to mitigate your opponent's shortcomings and you can turn things around and use them to your advantage

If the goal would be to create a fair, level playing field then custom mods would be exactly what you wouldn't allow. Grip tape might be allowed or not, but once tou modify stuff it becomes different from the approved list items. Hence unapproved.

So yes, that would affect the status quo. Intentionally.

seriously doubt that this is a workable solution from a number of angles, basically boiling down to removal of way too much for the addition of something that is of disputable value.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Certainly. So did the ball size increase, the speedglue ban, the game shortening. It's all a matter of choice.

Boosting may be today's equivalent or not to yesteryear's speedgluing. I don't know; have done neither, too much hassle at the cost of basic playing fun for me.

Yet, IF one really wanted to stop 'equipment doping', there's a way to do so; that's the entire point I'm making. I'm not saying it should, and as things are skill still seems to me to be the decisive factor. Ma Longs BH might be boosted beyond imagination, as someone claimed, but that does not account for his level of play.