Timo Boll Interview: About 80% of pro's are using illegal rackets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
I am tending to believe that Boll doesn't boost. At the WTTC, he was really having trouble generating enough power to get past Fan Zhendong and Monteiro.

Boll doesn't need to boost because he has special tenergy with more boost than the commercial version. Some pros boost their racket but to boost by yourself or by butterfly is same thing.

I understand pros need racket much more faster.

This user has no status.
I think the most of the pros do boost because it gives an advantage and in the long run maybe even prevents injurys. Many of them play table tennis for a living so I can understand the dilemma. I also think that alot of rubbers other then Tenergy 05 has a bigger advantage from boosting and maybe it's why Butterfly may have lost some pieces of the market. I also rememberd the arc being a bit lower on Tenergy 05 when boosted why I prefered it unboosted, and yes the pro versions which needed to be sent back after usage was just a dream to play with:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Boll doesn't need to boost because he has special tenergy with more boost than the commercial version. Some pros boost their racket but to boost by yourself or by butterfly is same thing.

I understand pros need racket much more faster.

If you read the full interview, this is not true. Others have said that what special Tenergy amounts to is simply the heaviest sheets from production and is not different from what is sold commercially and can be sold commercially in some cases.

This user has no status.
Timo doesn't boost. That is quite evident from his game. Look at his physique, still his power doesn't seem overwhelming. Not saying that fzd is boosting, but such physique and power like god! Also Thiago Apolonia. He just plays so softly, but his loops are so fast. May be I am wrong, but my eyes ain't,, lol.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think the most of the pros do boost because it gives an advantage and in the long run maybe even prevents injurys. Many of them play table tennis for a living so I can understand the dilemma. I also think that alot of rubbers other then Tenergy 05 has a bigger advantage from boosting and maybe it's why Butterfly may have lost some pieces of the market. I also rememberd the arc being a bit lower on Tenergy 05 when boosted why I prefered it unboosted, and yes the pro versions which needed to be sent back after usage was just a dream to play with:)

People should probably run tests and see what this amounts to. Boll is willing to go on record that his setup is 100% available to anyone looking for it and follows the rules to the tee.

This user has no status.
People should probably run tests and see what this amounts to. Boll is willing to go on record that his setup is 100% available to anyone looking for it and follows the rules to the tee.

Not saying his rubber is boosted or anything like that, just that they get a better batch. From my experience when I played Tenergy 05 some years ago and got it from a sponsored player (high ranked and no of course I don't say the players name because it damages their cooperation with their sponsor), the player wanted it back afterwards. I also noticed that the player didn't get them fully wrapped.

Hard to compare brand new ones from the company with the ones laying for how long in a table tennis store? Even us mortal ones who have changed rubbers so many times have noticed a rubber not being as good as it usually should be..

This user has no status.
I know for sure at least for the butterfly store in Moers. When they get new batch they scale every rubber and preselect the really heavy ones about 98 gramm + for the professional or higher ranked players,because those are pretty hard to play for commoners but you can request and get them. As far as i know the usual range is from 93-98 gramm on tenergy. And red rubbers weigh more on evarage then the black Tenergys.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I know for sure at least for the butterfly store in Moers. When they get new batch they scale every rubber and preselect the really heavy ones about 98 gramm + for the professional or higher ranked players,because those are pretty hard to play for commoners but you can request and get them. As far as i know the usual range is from 93-98 gramm on tenergy. And red rubbers weigh more on evarage then the black Tenergys.

This is what I have heard elsewhere and is my point precisely. People make it sound like only the pros can get this batch but everyone can get this rubber and it is not that different from the regular Tenergy and preference may be personal as not even all pros may use it. The problem is that it is not even clear what H3 Ma Long is using and where it is sold.

This user has no status.
This would be easy to the ITTF so solve, at least in the major tournaments. The player says what rubbers want, gives them the blades and a ITTF member glue the rubbers and give them back in the begining of the game. That way, we all knew all the players were playing with legals rubbers.

I bet that only China would complain about this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Not only in Moers, its the same thing in every butterfly store in germany.
If you ask for a really heavy one, the dont take it out of the "normal" range but have an extra stock for the heavy ones in their bureau or elsewhere.
Mostly the exact weight of the rubber is written on top of the package with a felt pen.

Anyway i am sure, that there are special rubbers, potentially only with more booster on it, for special players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not only in Moers, its the same thing in every butterfly store in germany.
If you ask for a really heavy one, the dont take it out of the "normal" range but have an extra stock for the heavy ones in their bureau or elsewhere.
Mostly the exact weight of the rubber is written on top of the package with a felt pen.

Anyway i am sure, that there are special rubbers, potentially only with more booster on it, for special players.

How are you sure? Are you saying Timo Boll is lying?

This user has no status.
How are you sure? Are you saying Timo Boll is lying?

To say that a player is lying is a bit unfair. Compare it to all the pros who are sponsored by one brand (who also says the have a setup in their brand) but in the end the players may be using something different. No names needed but hey, there are a couple of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To say that a player is lying is a bit unfair. Compare it to all the pros who are sponsored by one brand (who also says the have a setup in their brand) but in the end the players may be using something different. No names needed but hey, there are a couple of them.

I don't think you have read Timo Boll's comments.

"Ich will nicht behaupten, dass die chinesische Stärke allein auf den Belägen beruht. Sie haben die besten Bedingungen, die meisten Trainer, das meiste Geld. Aber es ist sicher, sie könnten manchen Ball nicht so spielen, wie sie ihn spielen, und manche Schläge hätten nicht die Qualität, die sie im Moment haben. Wenn die Chinesen einen tollen Belag entwickelt hätten, der allen überlegen ist, dann wäre das ja in Ordnung. Dann könnte ich ihn mir im Laden kaufen, oder ich könnte den Ausrüster wechseln. Aber chinesische Schläger, die gibt es nirgendwo zu kaufen und die Beläge werden noch behandelt. Sie haben da übrigens gar kein Unrechtsbewusstsein, für sie ist regelkonform, was durch die Tests kommt. Der Spieler Wang Hao hat einmal in einer Livesendung des chinesischen Fernsehens demonstriert, wie sie den Schläger präparieren. Dabei ist jede Nachbehandlung ausdrücklich verboten, eigentlich war das der Nachweis eines Betrugs. Ich dagegen bin mit einem Schläger konkurrenzfähig, der nicht nur messtechnisch regelkonform ist, sondern den Regeln zu 100 Prozent entspricht. Noch mehr: Ich spiele mit Belägen, die man im Laden kaufen kann. Da gibt es keinen Unterschied. Ich habe ein absolut reines Gewissen."

The part in bold, I hear, translates thus:

" But the Chinese racquets can't be bought anywhere, and the rubbers are further chemically treated. The Chinese have no sense of wrongdoing at all about this, by the way; to them, everything they do is in accordance with the rules as long as the racquet passes the tests. The player Wang Hao once demonstrated during a live broadcast on Chinese TV how they prepare the racquet. But since any post-factory treatment is explicitly forbidden, this was actually evidence of fraud.I, however, am competitive with a racquet which is not only compliant to the rules according to the test results, but it even is 100% in accordance with the rules [as they are written]. Even more, I play with rubbers that can be bought in stores. There's no difference between my rubbers and those available in the stores. I have an absolutely clean conscience."

We are having a debate here as well:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74402&PN=5&title=timo-boll-interview