Timo Boll Interview: About 80% of pro's are using illegal rackets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Can you tell me why on earth would a table tennis ball be costlier than a golf ball ?? I simply don't have any answer !

Hahaha. That's a good one. :)
I guess nobody has, except maybe the ones making and selling them.
;)
BTW: i had to re-edit my post. Of course i've meant the majority.
But seems as if you understood me anyway. ;)

Thanks.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Aging is a killer
It is entertaining to hear people arguing about something no one knows for sure. Or, more accurately, that, for sure, no one knows about.

Funny how many different theories about the pros rubbers there seems to be.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Guilty...sometimes.
Seriously, this or any forum would hardly have any traffic if everyone only spoke about what they know for certain.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
They could implement a rule like they used to have in the WRC that any equipment used need to be sold to the public to. So no Blue sponge H3 or W997 bats that are only give to the Chines team.

Very true. After all China will have to either settle with lesser quality rubbers to level the competition or supply enough blue sponge H3 with reasonable pricing to make everyone happy. No matter how evil Butterfly is, at least their Pro Tenergy is wildly available to every top players around the world including China. Why can't DHS do the same?

This user has no status.
Why can t DHS do the same?
I think the main reason is because producing those rubbers would be really expensiv.The rubbers also only do well if they are tuned.
Maybe DHS is afraid that other companys copy the technology or they just want to keep this advantage for the CNT.
For example i know that there are 3 pro players who work at the andro/ESN development and test department.
There they can produce a RASANT with a special rubber compound on a small roll.The performance and endurance the result is on a whole another level then the comercial version.But only those 3 players are using those rubbers because it seems to be really hard/expensiv to mass produce those.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Why can t DHS do the same?
I think the main reason is because producing those rubbers would be really expensiv.The rubbers also only do well if they are tuned.
Maybe DHS is afraid that other companys copy the technology or they just want to keep this advantage for the CNT.
For example i know that there are 3 pro players who work at the andro/ESN development and test department.
There they can produce a RASANT with a special rubber compound on a small roll.The performance and endurance the result is on a whole another level then the comercial version.But only those 3 players are using those rubbers because it seems to be really hard/expensiv to mass produce those.

Goon squad bait...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
reference: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/me...-boll-ueber-tricks-von-chinesen-14043588.html

The rubbers are an extreme advantage for the Chinese.

The rubber technology is a real science. Naturally there are rules. But the measurement and control procedures can´t reliable check compliance with the rules.

The rackets, which were previously controlled in the test were all rule compliant. But 80 percent - so my estimate - still did not meet the rules.In order to prove this, the Rubber has to be removed from the racket and sent to the lab. That's what I am encouraging since long ago. But the International Association considers this unreasonable. No players pays for his equipment , and it also means no effort to glue the rubber again. Anyone who adheres to the rules,is at a clear disadvantage.

How do you know that?

I have played with the material of players who have treated their rubbers. There was a certain difference. And then I've tested the racket of a colleague in China . (Note .: Boll played repeatedly for Chinese clubs in the local league). Let me put it this way: If the Chinese with my racket and their usual art draw a topspin, then he lands in his own half.If the chinese play a topspin with my racket and their usualy technique, then the ball stays on their on half of the table.

Please check the phrase in bold I think there is something that it doesnt make sense here. REally appreciate your effort! These translated interviews are gold :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I completely agree with you Suga D, but table tennis differently needs a whole sale rethinking at the top.

Just copying tennis and trying to slow down the game for the viewers is not going to cut it.

ITTF needs to think bigger and working harder. Instead of equipment changes, they should focus on making the game popular, reach out to school and colleges , have more camps and work on untapped potential in North America and South East Asia . Currently, they are just riding the popularity wave or the lack of it in China and Europe and that simply is not going to cut it going forward ! Can you tell me why on earth would a table tennis ball be costlier than a golf ball ?? I simply don't have any answer !

I think the exhibition element of our sport is severely underutilized. I think more effort should be put into designing and building out co-ordination events to attract more women.

This user has no status.
Reference:http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/me...tischtennisschlaeger-belaege-14073793-p2.html
This is a short summary, maybe i am gonna translated the hole article later but a lot is repeated from the original interview.

Hubert Motschmann, professor for Chemical Physics at the University of Regensburg, has analyzed one of the popular so-called "booster" after the publication of the interview, namely the "Haifu Tuning Oil".In collaboration with table tennis experts he invented a affordable inspection system for Turnaments.The basic approach: All rubbers approved by the ITTF are subjected to a certification test. This entrance test could be accomplished by a rheometer (measuring device for determining the deformation and flow behavior of matter), which determines the deformation of the rubber and the catapult effect on the bouncing ball. The current measured values at a tournament are then compared with the basic values, if it exeeds a determined deviation the player is disqualified.

Professor Mutschmanns basic concept has already landed at Thomas Weikert, the German president of the ITTF. Following an initial internal test, which was positive, Weikert commissioned the equipment Commission of its World Association to prepare until February 27, an expert´s report of the practicability, therefore, the Executive Committee of the World Federation may decide on the introduction of new the tests. The board meets a few days later while the World Team Championships in Kuala Lumpur. Up to the Olympic Games in August, the new control procedures may already be introduced. Weikert is optimistic: "If the whole thing is implementable at reasonable cost, no one is gonna be against it."
Motschmann estimates the costs for a conventional rheometer with 20,000 euros, for the comparatively primitive measurement process in table tennis a cut-down version is possible to. More than two devices should not be required by the World Association because only major tournaments a getting controlled. The test is easy to perform during an event, within three minutes, the result is avialable. "This is so simple that any referee can perform it after a short briefing ", so the estimation of Professor Motschmann.

ITTF President Weikert defends against Bolls allegation, the association remained passively in the past: "We already started countermeasures against tuned rackets because we want equal opportunities for all players. But the Athletes' Commission was initially against the fact that the players have to remove the rubber from the racket for testing. That would be an unacceptably intervention because the bats are sensitive. In addition, some players only have one rubber for a tournament. "Meanwhile, the representetiv of the athlete commission the Belarusian Vladimir Samsonov, signaled that the players are agreeing now. "Timo's interview accalerated the process."

For Motschmann the objections are invalid. "Rubbers are getting replaced by the world-class players after every game . And there is no penalty in clueing again "If the proposed method should fail because of removing of the rubber, Motschmann has a alternative:". The measurements are more accurate if the rubber is removed, but I could also provide a method in which the rubber would not be removed from the racket. "
Weikert underlines that there is no evidence for manipulation by Chinese or other athletes so far . "Therefore, I will not fraud anyone. But we have a problem with the rubbers, I will not argue against that. "Bolls demand in F.A.Z. interview does not constitute personal opinion, but the majority of the world-class players, especially from France, Germany and Japan. Many players tune their racket.This is an open secret.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
The test is not about measuring the chemicals of the booster or how the rubber was treated.
It measures the deformation and flow behavior of matter, which determines the deformation of the rubber and the catapult effect on the bouncing ball.Which is independent of how the rubber was treated and much more reliable.
This would also possible close the gap between the rubbers which are sold commercially and the pro versions.
Because the pro versions would not pass the test. The only possible way to cheat would be sending the pro version to the entrance test.But the ITTF then still has to approve.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Do I understand this correctly, is the test is determining the results based on the physics and not chemical test ?

If that is the case, it will come with a degree with tolerance and that is very difficult to implement.

Similar thing came up to prevent chucking in cricket ( where you cannot bend and straighten your elbow when bowling ( pitching ) , and they found out that the need to build in a tolerance limit of 12 degrees because it seems the human arm bends because its not a rigid body.

So , it will ultimately come down to the degree of tolerance which is going to be extremely difficult to determine. What if somebody factory tunes the rubber so that it does not meet the pre-determined standards and actually the player in question did not in anyway alter the rubber as it came from the factory ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Do I understand this correctly, is the test is determining the results based on the physics and not chemical test ?

If that is the case, it will come with a degree with tolerance and that is very difficult to implement.

Similar thing came up to prevent chucking in cricket ( where you cannot bend and straighten your elbow when bowling ( pitching ) , and they found out that the need to build in a tolerance limit of 12 degrees because it seems the human arm bends because its not a rigid body.

So , it will ultimately come down to the degree of tolerance which is going to be extremely difficult to determine. What if somebody factory tunes the rubber so that it does not meet the pre-determined standards and actually the player in question did not in anyway alter the rubber as it came from the factory ?

I think that it's still a step in the right direction. At least a player won't be able to heavily boost his rubbers.

This user has no status.

I really have some thrust in german engineering ;).Ang I think setting that degree of tolarance is a matter of Experience.
The difference between a factory tuned and a later boosted rubber is substantial. Everyone who ever boosted a rubber knows this because the tension in the rubber is much higher.The rubber is really curving.