My unorthodox Shakehand hold

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
explaination on the way I hold my paddle. audio needed so turn on sound ;). I didn't know how to explain in the video why flat hitting is more difficult with it. One idea to why is because I have less stability with this grip. I'll ask my coach why it's harder to do, I'll see her tomorrow.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
explaination on the way I hold my paddle. audio needed so turn on sound ;). I didn't know how to explain in the video why flat hitting is more difficult with it. One idea to why is because I have less stability with this grip. I'll ask my coach why it's harder to do, I'll see her tomorrow.

Interesting grip you have there; there's a guy at my club who has a sorta Seemillier grip, but it isn't. Your blade looks really cool though, never seen anything like it! If I may, what is your blade?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If anything, you are a bit more BH ready with that grip. it isn't so extreme as many might say.

I find it refreshing you mention holding bat in such and such a way allows you to FEEL the ball at impact. That counts for a lot.

On serves, I adjust grip even more than you using only very light pressure with thumb (held where you mention) and first finger. Right after serve, it is natural for me to get into conventional Shakehand grip.

What caused you to explain your grip? For the record, there is nothing I am saying that requires you to justify your grip to me or anyone. It is your way and it works for you.

As to the point of flat hitting, it is a matter of how and where you impact the ball. I would wager that you much more easily flat hit on BH, just a feeling. Even on FH, there is a way for you, it might have something to do with your shoulders and heigh of bat at the ready position and backswing.

You don't really have to flat hit much in TT if you choose, but having a really fast flat hit is a good thing in Ur TT bag of tricks.

felix 1.jpg

Reactions: Suga D and fais
This user has no status.
Why are you not adjusting your grip for every hit you want to do? A good coach teaches you this as basics. You should train to switch your grip for serve, backhand- forehand-grip and in forehand and backhand grip you again should differenciate if you want to play fast balls with less spin, a lot spin but slower ball. Furthermore with the grip you are also controling the opening of your racket and with it the jumping angle of the ball. ask your coach about it, it's an important part of the game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Interesting grip you have there; there's a guy at my club who has a sorta Seemillier grip, but it isn't. Your blade looks really cool though, never seen anything like it! If I may, what is your blade?

the composition of the blade is the composition of a nittaku violin, very soft and flexible. but its custom made by the great Ross Leidy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
If anything, you are a bit more BH ready with that grip. it isn't so extreme as many might say.

I find it refreshing you mention holding bat in such and such a way allows you to FEEL the ball at impact. That counts for a lot.

On serves, I adjust grip even more than you using only very light pressure with thumb (held where you mention) and first finger. Right after serve, it is natural for me to get into conventional Shakehand grip.

What caused you to explain your grip? For the record, there is nothing I am saying that requires you to justify your grip to me or anyone. It is your way and it works for you.

As to the point of flat hitting, it is a matter of how and where you impact the ball. I would wager that you much more easily flat hit on BH, just a feeling. Even on FH, there is a way for you, it might have something to do with your shoulders and heigh of bat at the ready position and backswing.

You don't really have to flat hit much in TT if you choose, but having a really fast flat hit is a good thing in Ur TT bag of tricks.

View attachment 9213

you're very right that it is a backhand oriented grip. backhand loops and flicks are fairly easy for me and i blame the grip because of it. When I've tried to switch to a more traditional grip my backhand suffered too much.

The reason I posted this thread is because I was talking to NL about the way I play and my grip came up in the conversation. The thread we were talking about this in was about the new evolution rubbers coming out. I felt like I was hijacking the thread so I posted a link to this thread in one of my comments there.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Why are you not adjusting your grip for every hit you want to do? A good coach teaches you this as basics. You should train to switch your grip for serve, backhand- forehand-grip and in forehand and backhand grip you again should differenciate if you want to play fast balls with less spin, a lot spin but slower ball. Furthermore with the grip you are also controling the opening of your racket and with it the jumping angle of the ball. ask your coach about it, it's an important part of the game

I've talked to my coach various times about my grip, which she HATES on my forehand and wants me to change. But she also says what's comfortable for a player would probably be better. She's accepted me using this grip for both fh and bh as I'm much more relaxed with it and if I don't have to switch between fh and bh theres less to mess up on.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. A few years ago I messed with my grip a bunch. Someone showed me how ZJK holds his racket and that extreme BH grip makes your BH darn easy. It is interesting that the FH is powerful that way but weird and good for hooking but not for inside out and you don't have as much control of where you put the ball.

Then I started switching grips from BH to FH. How I did it worked but was not ideal because it left the racket in my hand a bit unstable.

Someone who has helped me a lot told me to use a more neutral grip and use the same grip on FH and BH. I tried. Someone else who is decently higher level (Michael Landers) said I shouldn't have to think about it. But my grip should switch a bit from BH to FH.

Then I started focusing on holding the blade face with my index finger and thumb and keeping the other fingers loose. At first I thought I was using the same grip for both sides but then I noticed that as I switched my wrist from BH to FH or vice versa, the change in wrist position actually changed the grip. I was not thinking of changing the grip. But the grip was changing. When I am doing the BH the thumb just naturally moves into position to press the blade face into the ball on the shot. On FH the thumb is forced lower and the index finger presses the blade face into the ball on the shot.

I never realize I am changing. I don't think about it. But the switch happens naturally.

Backhand grip:

824ef3b9114c8fd0ab2a81ed77a5b0c8.jpg

Second angle:

a5a7e92a1f681eaef8627b8f3ac9a86a.jpg

Forehand grip:

61f56737435ad31405111969c60d08f4.jpg

Second angle:

cbecf69b9af1711110278e9dad9d8d06.jpg

Third angle:

aac841623133d9ff2b0e4a8e8b105a0e.jpg

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: BeGo and Shuki