Some Inspiration for Forehand Players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's a pretty physical stroke - it would have been better to show the stroke from behind so people can see how low he is and how much power he is getting from his lower body and core. IF you can consistently put that much into your stroke, you should get similar results. Most of us don't even do a quarter of the physical training required to do that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Don't forget to praise the ability if this guy to anticipate the ball early and get into position right in time to apply his mighty power. I think that this brain training is much harder to develop than a powerful stroke...

I don't think it is harder but I agree that both go together in producing the results. If you have trained as much as those guys have, you get very good at those things. And of course, we now have TTEdge software to help us all ;).

This user has no status.
I dont know what you guys are seeing... i actually see 2 things. Training with a cap on? really? . Second this stroke is far from perfect. The boy is wasting so much space in his beginning phase of the topspin because he is going to low under the table, it is making the stroke much more difficult to hit and if he would stay more up with his hand and come from behind he could use that to generate more friction for spin and it would be faster. It also keeps him from using his wrist in the optimal way to support the stroke. Also at the end of the stroke his ellbow stays too low what means again quality loss for the stroke. When he is moving to the forehand side he is hitting generally the ball too late and not turning is body enough in the ball. He is not accelerating at the right point for an optimal spin gain, his arm has the same speed between start and stop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I dont know what you guys are seeing... i actually see 2 things. Training with a cap on? really? . Second this stroke is far from perfect. The boy is wasting so much space in his beginning phase of the topspin because he is going to low under the table, it is making the stroke much more difficult to hit and if he would stay more up with his hand and come from behind he could use that to generate more friction for spin and it would be faster. It also keeps him from using his wrist in the optimal way to support the stroke. Also at the end of the stroke his ellbow stays too low what means again quality loss for the stroke. When he is moving to the forehand side he is hitting generally the ball too late and not turning is body enough in the ball. He is not accelerating at the right point for an optimal spin gain, his arm has the same speed between start and stop.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews

TT Rogue first of all when I'm feeding multiball I can wear whatever I like. I'm not doing the multiball wearing a cap I'm feeding. I'm 25 and my hair fell out because I have an autoimmune disease so don't be so quick to criticize things which are so incredibly irrelevant to the video it's not even funny.

So one of your 'points' is completely redundant. Secondly he doesn't know where the ball is going. It's a full table forehand backspin exercise. Getting into position to play each ball is not as easy as you think especially to play with the amount of acceleration he is playing with.

You have just been completely negative in both your comments. I don't know who you think you are to just criticize everything in the video like that.

This is why I barely post on here anymore. Don't bother replying.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Um, I don't know, I kind of like that hat. I'd say it probably keeps the hair out of the eyes so Matt can feed the multiball better. Looks sharp anyway. Not many coaches look as sharp as Mr Hetherington.

And that kid, I'd say he's probably about 2700 (USATT). Hard to criticize the technique of a kid whose 2700. Especially when none of us on the forum are close to the level of that kid.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Um, I don't know, I kind of like that hat. I'd say it probably keeps the hair out of the eyes so Matt can feed the multiball better. Looks sharp anyway. Not many coaches look as sharp as Mr Hetherington.

And that kid, I'd say he's probably about 2700 (USATT). Hard to criticize the technique of a kid whose 2700. Especially when none of us on the forum are close to the level of that kid.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

IT should really be mandatory for people to post video of their play before commenting on other people's strokes.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
IT should really be mandatory for people to post video of their play before commenting on other people's strokes.

I think that's the best quality comment I have read since joining this forum 4 years ago lol

Reactions: ttmonster

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I wish i had someone feeding me multi ball of that quality when i was a player Matt! This drill is very specific fo the modern game of TT and the top Chinese players do this type of multi ball exercise daily. Are you training with this dude in prep of World Team Championships? You must be buzzing!

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yes lets do that, everybody post a video of his playing! :D
But to defend TT_Rogue just a bit, about the technic criticism, I have to agree and add the "pushed" hip-move.
But yes, he could have used some politer words and left out the unnecessary comments.
But all in all, there isn't really a "perfect" technic for everyone, as each player needs to develop his strokes
which are most effective for himself. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I probably won't be makin' a lot of friends with this, but i think it certainly should be said/wrote.

Fellas, i think we all should relax a bit.

On the first point i totally disagree, but i believe you have been tought this way. I had a very big argument about this at the Hessische Meisterschaften 2 years ago with the head umpire about this.
My hair grew a little too long and hence i was wearing a cap. Some narrow minded Idiot complained about this, so the umpire came and told me to remove it. I answered that nobody bothers about this in Tennis, so why then in Tabletennis and that if he can show me the paragraph then i'd certainly remove it. Well, my friend who was coaching me stepped in and i gave in and then removed it. But that really's been bugging me a while.

But your second point isn't that wrong.....

TT Rogue first of all when I'm feeding multiball I can wear whatever I like. I'm not doing the multiball wearing a cap I'm feeding. I'm 25 and my hair fell out because I have an autoimmune disease so don't be so quick to criticize things which are so incredibly irrelevant to the video it's not even funny.

So one of your 'points' is completely redundant. Secondly he doesn't know where the ball is going. It's a full table forehand backspin exercise. Getting into position to play each ball is not as easy as you think especially to play with the amount of acceleration he is playing with.

You have just been completely negative in both your comments. I don't know who you think you are to just criticize everything in the video like that.

This is why I barely post on here anymore. Don't bother replying.

Matt, i don't think he has read your blog or knows exactly who you are. So after all i don't see bare negativity and you shouldn't react that hard.
I think there is a BIG difference between destructive critique out of pure negativity and constructive critique, which is tryin' to give hints how it can be done better.
As a matter of fact, he tried to show, what he thinks can be done better.
Different coaches see different things.... Do i need to say more??

One thought: sometimes being too close to a picture prevents one from getting the full pic. So i think instead of overreacting you rather should be thankful for spotting out weaknesses that could maybe take your training partner 100 to 200 ranking points higher.

I really hope you don't react like this on every post that doesn't exactly share the same sight on things like you do.
Man, after all it's just critique. Nothing more nothing less..

Just a thought...

Although i really like many of your posts, Ilia, i totally disagree and think your vid is a bit misplaced, bro.
You guys shouldn't be so handy on such heavy accusations of being a troll. Just click on TT-Rogue's profile and check the posts he made.
It should be clear now, that he certainly doesn't just troll this forum.
A troll would rather write something like e.g. "stupid-video, lol"
And certainly wouldn't write this here:

Hi guys,
Im 27 and roughly playing table tennis since 10 years. Im training 3-4 times a week with about 3-4 hours a day. I've got the second highest grade of trainer license in Germany. I would have liked to go pro , unfortunately my talent in table tennis is not as big as my ambition and I discovered table tennis too late for me. Nevertheless I'm not too bad and i think i know a bit of what Im talking when it comes to table tennis ^.^

So i think it's actually time for some apologies.

I think that's the best quality comment I have read since joining this forum 4 years ago lol

These here are some very very disappointing posts.
NL i expected better from you. What do you want to prove? That if his technique is weaker as yours he shouldn't post anymore or actually even shouldn't coach anymore???? Following this logic someone only can coach if he's good enough? Man, i don't think so, 'cause otherwise a few people then shouldn't coach anymore.

I know a few coaches who aren't such good players but certainly are very well respected coaches. One of my friends is one. He gave up practicing cause he doesn't have the time to play himself cause he needs the coaching money to feed his family.

You guys react like someone discredited a king. How could he dare write such a thing and not bow down like all the others??? This is still a free Internet and everyone should feel free enough to share his thoughts, even if they are not always to everybody's likes.

I know you probably won't like to read this, but i felt this here should really be said/wrote...

PEACE!!!

This user has no status.
I probably won't be makin' a lot of friends with this, but i think it certainly should be said/wrote.

Fellas, i think we all should relax a bit.

On the first point i totally disagree, but i believe you have been tought this way. I had a very big argument about this at the Hessische Meisterschaften 2 years ago with the head umpire about this.
My hair grew a little too long and hence i was wearing a cap. Some narrow minded Idiot complained about this, so the umpire came and told me to remove it. I answered that nobody bothers about this in Tennis, so why then in Tabletennis and that if he can show me the paragraph then i'd certainly remove it. Well, my friend who was coaching me stepped in and i gave in and then removed it. But that really's been bugging me a while.

But your second point isn't that wrong.....

Matt, i don't think he has read your blog or knows exactly who you are. So after all i don't see bare negativity and you shouldn't react that hard.
I think there is a BIG difference between destructive critique out of pure negativity and constructive critique, which is tryin' to give hints how it can be done better.
As a matter of fact, he tried to show, what he thinks can be done better.
Different coaches see different things.... Do i need to say more??

One thought: sometimes being too close to a picture prevents one from getting the full pic. So i think instead of overreacting you rather should be thankful for spotting out weaknesses that could maybe take your training partner 100 to 200 ranking points higher.

I really hope you don't react like this on every post that doesn't exactly share the same sight on things like you do.
Man, after all it's just critique. Nothing more nothing less..

Just a thought...

Although i really like many of your posts, Ilia, i totally disagree and think your vid is a bit misplaced, bro.
You guys shouldn't be so handy on such heavy accusations of being a troll. Just click on TT-Rogue's profile and check the posts he made.
It should be clear now, that he certainly doesn't just troll this forum.
A troll would rather write something like e.g. "stupid-video, lol"
And certainly wouldn't write this here:

So i think it's actually time for some apologies.

These here are some very very disappointing posts.
NL i expected better from you. What do you want to prove? That if his technique is weaker as yours he shouldn't post anymore or actually even shouldn't coach anymore???? Following this logic someone only can coach if he's good enough? Man, i don't think so, 'cause otherwise a few people then shouldn't coach anymore.

I know a few coaches who aren't such good players but certainly are very well respected coaches. One of my friends is one. He gave up practicing cause he doesn't have the time to play himself cause he needs the coaching money to feed his family.

You guys react like someone discredited a king. How could he dare write such a thing and not bow down like all the others??? This is still a free Internet and everyone should feel free enough to share his thoughts, even if they are not always to everybody's likes.

I know you probably won't like to read this, but i felt this here should really be said/wrote...

PEACE!!!
You have a very valid point there, but I think it was the tone of his typing when dissecting the guy's technique which kinda threw Matt off.
But the hat comment is uncalled for.