About all equipment issues..

This user has no status.
Hi guys TT_Rogue here,

lately im reading quite a lot threads with topics like: Hey my forehand is not working.. í defently need a new racket.
Thats why i want to give here some generall advice regarding equipment change and equipment choice. This is my highly personal opinion about this
matter so please dont feel offended.

Firstly what burns in my soul is that on going rubber crazyness.
Be aware there are basicly 3 different kind of rubbers, namely:

Pips-In
Pips-Out
Anti-Top.

That's all. Everyhing else is a shade of that. Some are more important than other shades.
Like the difference between long and short pips is a quite important shade. Bluefire M2 to Bluefire M2 JP not that much.
So please always consider bordeaux is still fcking red, dont pay more attention to it than necessary. Use that energy what you would invest into searching for the "perfect" (not existing) rubber to train your technique.
It is the most important thing in table tennis and if you master it you also can play with a cooking pan.

The 3 important shades of Pips-In are shades of the sponge, the topsheet is actually not that important, because now a days every topsheet has the so called "tensor technique" in it, what was introduced after the period of glueing the rubbers fresh. It causes more tension in the rubber what allows the today known catapult and spin.

Sponge shades:
Hard
Semi
Soft

These 3 categories should be all for you to worry about if you're not playing already a higher level and you got a solid technique.

Short-Pips:
Basicly they are all the same. ( But ok they are not.) The only thing to worry about is the thickness of the sponge what controlls the speed.
But actually there 2 kinds of short-pips:

Useless trash
Useable
:D.
Im sorry but it is like this, dont know how to say it else. There are some kind of pips they are really just unplayable. They are making everything much more difficult than it has to be and the gain of effect is too small. So choose a basic useable one from a well known producer what is in their catalogue since 10 years and you are fine to go.

Long-Pips:
Well i think here it is possible to discuss the very most. Even i see here more points to take in consideration.

Sponge-Thickness (maybe no sponge at all)
Stiffness of the Pips
Grip

These are already to much points than that i could say here any generall about it, i think it is quite individual what to do here. My advice is
buy a standart long pip like the Tibhar Grass, buy i with no sponge or a rather thin sponge, get a proper technique afterwards guess out what supports the best your style of play.

Anti-Top:
My opinion? Just dont play it, i have no idea why this kind of rubbers are still on the market. Anti-Tops are Long-Pips with less effect.
It is always possible to find a Long-Pip what is more comfortable and to play in the same way than the corresponding anti-top (with a plus on effect).

Well ok that are my thoughts about rubbers. Let's go on to blades.
Generally there are again just 3 different kinds of blades

Stiff
Semi
Elastic

Stiff:
It is fast and has none till really less vibration due to ball contact what means less feedback ot the hand. It also causes that the dwell time is crazy short.

Elastic:

Slower and a fcking lot of vibration what on the other hand meens good feedback and a long dwell time

Semi:
It's the meeting point of Stiff and Elastic most likely your blade will be in this area. Choose from a hear a nice rounded blade to start with.

There are tons of composites like fibreglass, carbon, teflar or even paper with different characteristics. For example Carbon is enhancing the sweet spot of your racket. You should inform yourself about the material before buying a blade. But stay normal about it..

- For rubbers and blades: Please dont pay too much attention what the companies are writing about their products. The material is NOT playing for you. The material is NOT the main reason if you are good or not. You always have to test for yourself is a product is fitting for you or not.

- ALWAYS when you want to test new equipment just change one piece at a time. Else you are not able to compare anything.

- Spin is done 100% by your technique. But with regards to material a rule of thumb is that spin comes 70% percent from rubber and 30% from the blade. Speed of the ball comes 100% from how fast you the fck want to play it and how hard you are hitting the ball. But with regards to material you can say 60% blade 40% sponge.

- 2.0 mm forehand , 1.8 mm backhand will do it most of the time.

- If you have problems with your game, let's say you cannot loop well on backspin what ever NEVEREVER change to a faster equipment JUST DONT. The best is to stay with your equipment, or when it is worn out buy the same in new. If you really really really cannot take it anymore change NOT to a faster equipment -.- .

- Too fast equipment is destroying your technique. PERIOD!!

- If you have problems with your backhand technique change to a thin ~1.5 harder rubber to get your technique straight, then change back to more spinnierrubber.

- your hand is very very sensitive. The grip of the racket and your hand have to be in touch to synergize well never put a tape or something around it. I know I know a lot of pros are doing that... they would be even better if they would not do that

- changing equipment is usually not good. Your blade is a nature product what means EVERY blade is unique in this world. Every change is a tragedy because your hand has to get used to something completely new --> Not good in a world that is dominated by automatisms. In the time what you are glueing thinking about if the new equipment is suited for you or not you are wasting time what you could invest in training --> not good . --> JUST CHANGE EQUIPMENT IF REALLY REALLYY REALLY NECESSARY
-

Last edited:

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I agree with a lot of this ! I know a few EJs who mainly seem to confuse the hell out of themselves rather than finding a combination they're happy with. On the other hand, when I changed from my Contra/Aurus combination to the K7/Rhyzm which I now use I felt better from day one - the setup feels like it was made for me personally. Blind luck I know, but sometimes things just work !

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
Good posts in here. However I would add throw angle to this topic. If you allready have a solid technique you now which kind of throw you need for your fh and bh. You also ned to think what are your stenghts and weaknesses. For example my self. I have allways (allmost 30 years now) rely mainly on good serves and heavy fh. My bh has allways been well not so good. So I have allways had a soft and controlled low throw rubber on my bh. With high throw rubber my bh is totally lost so throw matters to me a lot! Main thing with my bh is to keep the ball on the table and create opportunities for fh winners.

So my two cents is that think what kind of game is "your own game". Think how do you win the points. If you have a good fh and weaker bh or vice versa you should concentrate to develop your strenghts and minimase the effect of your weaknesses.

Some time ago I tried to change my grip a bit and worked with my bh lot more. Result was that my bh got stronger but my overall performance went down. These are just my experiences and I don´t say that this is only way to develope your game but I think that no one should overthink their game. Just play the game a way that you enjoy it to most becouse that is the most important thing in tt.

As TT.Rogue said your equipment doesn´t put to ball to the table, you do.

Happy Valentines day to you all my fellow tt enthustiacs!

Reactions: sspark80 and Suga D
This user has no status.
Interesting insights on equipment TT rogue, I have two questions,
Can you give some suggestions of those semi blades that you can stick with ?
I seem to overshoot backhands often. Do you think I should close the angle more or could it be a sponge thickness problem ?

That is fairly hard to say without knowing you. I dont even know what equipment you are using. Solid Semi stiff blades are usually All - All+ blades. The classic Senso series from Donic is always a solid start-up if you have trouble. I also can recommend the Stiga Class Pro Off what what im playing. It was designed long time ago and is more like a Allround played, solid charactersitics overall.
But basicly i would say if you overshoot the ball hit it softer :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I agree with the part from NEVEREVER on down.
The top part has a lot of opinion instead of facts.
When I see the words "dwell time" "tensor" and "throw angle" my oh shit bit gets set and I really must resist the urge to waste a lot of time setting the person straight.

That is fairly hard to say without knowing you. I dont even know what equipment you are using. Solid Semi stiff blades are usually All - All+ blades. The classic Senso series from Donic is always a solid start-up if you have trouble. I also can recommend the Stiga Class Pro Off what what im playing. It was designed long time ago and is more like a Allround played, solid charactersitics overall.
But basicly i would say if you overshoot the ball hit it softer :D
You can see my equipment, its under the flag :)

I agree with the part from NEVEREVER on down.
The top part has a lot of opinion instead of facts.
When I see the words "dwell time" "tensor" and "throw angle" my oh shit bit gets set and I really must resist the urge to waste a lot of time setting the person straight.
I don't understand the dwell time part, I assume you mean that dwell time is so short and the differences too fractional to matter, that's what you mean?
I had the same opinion until I saw Dimitrij Ovtcharov vs Pete Zolt match, fun thing is this video is unavailable now :confused: In that game I thought Pete Zolt had huge dwell time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Everything is true below a level. Then you must use faster, spinnier equipment for the better results. But that level is high and most of the forumers (and EJs) aren't on that level. (I'm not sure about EJs...should we call Ma Long an EJ? :))
A little story: if I remember correctly, Peter Fazekas, the best player in Hungary adviced a kid to buy a Tenergy 05, tune it and stay with it. After that everything depends on technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboZ
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think one of the things to understand is that, a lot of the posts and threads about what equipment to use, what blade, what FH rubber, BH rubber are really players newer to table tennis or at least newer to actual table tennis equipment and a lot of it is basically looking for a bit of hand holding by the person making choices so he can get a blade and/or rubbers. These are also players who probably don't have a coach to ask questions and don't know that many players who know equipment well enough to help them get something useful.

I know, it is actually hard to go wrong since the equipment is not that complicated and it is amazing how often people end up going wrong anyway by spending way to much money on something that is too fast for them.

Then there are those posts where someone is asking for a rubber or a blade to help them loop backspin better or something. And yes, that is misguided. But, it is unfortunate that presenting this information is not going to get the people who keep asking these questions to stop and learn. This is largely the case because they really don't understand that technique is what is important and not equipment. And because, when one actually starts understanding that information, which does sometimes happen, 4 new forum members have come to replace the one that just learned it. And so you get more new threads like: What's the Best Forehand Rubber.

So, the effort to get people to understand that the equipment is really not that complicated, and it is more important to work on technique, is a great idea. And I fully support it.

However, I am fairly confident it will not stop several new threads a day popping up asking the same old questions.

And I will continue trying to answer as simply as possible based on what it seems would be most useful to the particular forum member.

I will also continue to give multiple options which are really all very close to the same exact thing so the person feels like there is something to choose from.

But a lot of this issue has to do with how many blades and rubbers there are out there even though so many of them are really so close to the same thing that it is not worth having a different name for the same product.

I kind of like how, every few years Butterfly takes a blade and rebrands the same exact blade with a different pro player's name on it. Sometimes they even take the same blade, put the same pro's name on it and call it something different and raise the price by 35%.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TT_Rogue Warrior...

I like the idea of advising some of the most egregious violators of equipment appropriate for their level and growth. That is sound and proper as a coach or supporter.

You seem to be solid from the classic pundit camp of ONLY an All Wood ALL class 5 ply with thin sponged control rubbers is only way to learn and grow.

I cannot disagree more with the ONLY portion of that, but would 100% agree with SUITABLE equipment, which usually is somewhere ALL to OFF range blade (or ALL to OFF-) one blade has that range, usually all wood, but a few composite have enough dwell and feel with CONTROL OFF ALLROUND rubbers, not only Sriver/Mark V, but many others in the same class from any manufacturer one likes - they all make such a rubber or three.

Still, at teh end of the day, I agree with the classic pundits, their way has been done thousands of times and proven, I simply believe there are also other effective paths to the same development.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I don't understand the dwell time part, I assume you mean that dwell time is so short and the differences too fractional to matter, that's what you mean?
Yes, dwell time is the time the ball is in contact with the rubber.
Yes, under normal circumstances the dwell time is about 1 millisecond plus or minus a bit BUT it can be infinite. If one wants to get into the physics of dwell time there is a condition that must be met for the dwell time to be infinite. Approaching that condition can lead to longer dwell times but does long dwell time make a difference and is it good or bad. I could geek out and try to explain but I doubt it would do any good. The other forums had people that claimed to have PhDs in physics but still couldn't figure it out.

I had the same opinion until I saw Dimitrij Ovtcharov vs Pete Zolt match, fun thing is this video is unavailable now :confused: In that game I thought Pete Zolt had huge dwell time.
I know that dwell time can be very long or infinite under the right conditions. There is a YouTube video by Tacshow123 where he catches balls with his paddle and then walks to his opponents side and lets the ball roll off the paddle onto the opponents side of the table. Essentially the dwell time is infinite in this case. I posted a link to that video on the mytt forum. That was a huge hint to all the stupid physics PhDs on the mytt forum but they just didn't get it.

What are the right conditions for extending dwell time? Is it really that helpful?

says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
I believe we could argue years about the "right" equipment. I work as a coach and get this type of question, over and over.

I disagree with the oversimplification in the first post.

If I only take the rubber "category" PIPS IN/ HARD sponge, there are noticable differences, even for beginners.
Take a DHS H3 on one end and Cornilleau Target Ultra on the other (all hard rubber), if you can't feel the difference in a simple
bounce test, your better of investing your time into a different sport.

Let alone not mentioning the different sponge thickness as a criteria.

Table tennis is about very very fine differentiation and precision. If your are not sensible to slight differencies, you will have a hard time getting better.

So I usually look at the ability to adjust, when trying to recommend a rubber/blade combination and not at the number of years someone is playing. I have novice players that can (could) easily handle OFF blades, while I have others that play for years and still struggle to adjust their stroke force and timing regardless of the blade/sponge they play with.

The only thing where I agree with the original poster, is that material won't substitute training.

But for every decent player there is a combination of rubber/blade that fits their prefered style of playing and therefore you have to try and find your combination.

And while we are at it...Playing different material once in a while in training sessions, actually helps training your ability to adjust. So don't be afraid to take a new blade/rubber combination into your hand an play for an hour. :D

BTW...The times playing 1.5mm rubber on the backhand are a long gone (if you are not a developed defender already and do this on purpose)... Even for beginner blade 1.8mm is the minimum (at least this was the official coach guideline until last year).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I believe we could argue years about the "right" equipment. I work as a couch and get this type of question, over and over.

I disagree with the oversimplification in the first post.

If I only take the rubber "category" PIPS IN/ HARD sponge, there are noticable differences, even for beginners.
Take a DHS H3 on one end and Cornilleau Target Ultra on the other (all hard rubber), if you can't feel the difference in a simple
bounce test, your better of investing your time into a different sport.

Let alone not mentioning the different sponge thickness as a criteria.

Table tennis is about very very fine differentiation and precision. If your are not sensible to slight differencies, you will have a hard time getting better.

So I usually look at the ability to adjust, when trying to recommend a rubber/blade combination and not at the number of years someone is playing. I have novice players that can (could) easily handle OFF blades, while I have others that play for years and still struggle to adjust their stroke force and timing regardless of the blade/sponge they play with.

The only thing where I agree with the original poster, is that material won't substitute training.

But for every decent player there is a combination of rubber/blade that fits their prefered style of playing and therefore you have to try and find your combination.

And while we are at it...Playing different material once in a while in training sessions, actually helps training your ability to adjust. So don't be afraid to take a new blade/rubber combination into your hand an play for an hour. :D

BTW...The times playing 1.5mm rubber on the backhand are a long gone (if you are not a developed defender already and do this on purpose)... Even for beginner blade 1.8mm is the minimum (at least this was the official couch guideline until last year).

This is ment for people who are struggeling and dont have the possibility to ask a coach for help. Of course there are young players who can handle immediatly off blades and 2.1 rubbers. And when you are advanced on a certain level material choice is a matter. I wanted this to be somewhat of a straight guideline how you can prevent people of destroying their technique by choosing wrong material, spening tons of money and getting frustrated. Of course there is all the time a difference between different rubbres, what im saying is that when you have the right technique you are able to do every shot with every rubber. Do you think that Boll just can loop with a Tenergy? I assure you he spins the same with a frkn Speedy Spin. What concerns the 1.5 BH rubber, seems that you dont understand the sense of it. A 1.5 rubber just forces you to play the right movement, without the right technique your not generating speed and spin. What has 2 effect for players having problems with their backhand, firstly they are forced to adapt and learn right technique from what they will participate when they change rubbers back second they will have less frustration in games because at least their passive game will be immediatly safer. Guideline 1.8 minimum for straters huh? What drunken football player wrote that guideline? But yes im giving my beginners usually always 1.8 rubbers on the backhand. 2.0 ,1,8 is just doing it well :D

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
What concerns the 1.5 BH rubber, seems that you dont understand the sense of it. A 1.5 rubber just forces you to play the right movement, without the right technique your not generating speed and spin. What has 2 effect for players having problems with their backhand, firstly they are forced to adapt and learn right technique from what they will participate when they change rubbers back second they will have less frustration in games because at least their passive game will be immediatly safer. Guideline 1.8 minimum for straters huh? What drunken football player wrote that guideline? But yes im giving my beginners usually always 1.8 rubbers on the backhand. 2.0 ,1,8 is just doing it well :D

We won't get agreement on this. The only thing you will achieve with a 1.5mm rubber (btw there is only a limited number of brands providing such a rubber thickness) is that your movements will be longer and use more force. At the end you will be struggeling getting any offensive play on the backend and stick with the "save choice" playing passive on the backhand.
This is why the official guidelines are 1.8mm minimum for beginners. And the "drunken .... players" who wrote these guidelines are the A- and B- licensed coaches gathered in the VDTT. But nevermind....

This user has no status.
We won't get agreement on this. The only thing you will achieve with a 1.5mm rubber (btw there is only a limited number of brands providing such a rubber thickness) is that your movements will be longer and use more force. At the end you will be struggeling getting any offensive play on the backend and stick with the "save choice" playing passive on the backhand.
This is why the official guidelines are 1.8mm minimum for beginners. And the "drunken .... players" who wrote these guidelines are the A- and B- licensed coaches gathered in the VDTT. But nevermind....

Most of the time the too short movements are the problems not the long movement, of course it will prolong the movement that's the sense of it and that's not bad to correct the technique. If you go then for the faster and spinier rubber it is totaly easy to adapt. But the other way around is much harder. The too thick sponges are the reason why you are seeing a lot of players whit the crippeled movements and as soon as some old fellow chops with a bit more backspin they are starting to cry. I didnt say at all put a 1.5 rubber on the backhand of all beginners. But anyway i would like to see that part where that with the minimun 1.8mm on the backhand is written

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's too bad TareqPhoto isn't around to make everyone want to pull their hair out. LOL.

Let's find the common ground. There really are many different options for blades and rubbers in any speed class with any number of materials that all are decent and could be suitable for a wide variety of newer players. What specifically a player should use would be ideally guided by a good coach who knows the player's abilities.

Although at more intermediate and advanced levels, there are specific nuanced details that would help the player more accurately find equipment well suited for him, for the most part the Internet forum member who decided they need a new kind of blade or rubber because he lost to a long pips chop blocker would do better focusing on technique rather than buying a new setup every time he loses a match.

There is a benefit to trying all sorts of different equipment. But there is a benefit to sticking with one setup for a decent number of months, or years. Trying a variety of things can help a player be more adaptable to different equipment; more able to adjust their technique. Sticking with one setup for an extended period, especially when it is something useful for you, can help you groove your skills with that setup more fully.

So, ultimately, both of you guys are making good points.

Was that a new thread that just popped up with someone asking what rubbers to use? Gotta go!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
The 3 important shades of Pips-In are shades of the sponge, the topsheet is actually not that important, because now a days every topsheet has the so called "tensor technique" in it, what was introduced after the period of glueing the rubbers fresh. It causes more tension in the rubber what allows the today known catapult and spin.

Sponge shades:
Hard
Semi
Soft
I think this is more a matter of preference. It is the COR, tangential and normal, that is really important.

- Spin is done 100% by your technique.
That isn't right. If so then we would see all rubbers as generating the same spin. No matter what your technique the tangential COR will affect the spin. Those rubbers with higher tangential COR will generate more spin with the same stroke.

Short-Pips:
Basicly they are all the same. ( But ok they are not.) The only thing to worry about is the thickness of the sponge what controlls the speed.
This is a TT myth. You control the speed.
1.9mm Super Anti would not be faster than 1.5mm Mark V.
If the thickness of the sponge controlled the speed then why not add more and more sponge? I know there are rules about thickness but do you really think a 8mm sponge would be faster than a 2mm sponge?
Its the type of sponge that is important.

Anti-Top:
My opinion? Just dont play it, i have no idea why this kind of rubbers are still on the market. Anti-Tops are Long-Pips with less effect.
Yes, that is your opinion. The reason why people play with anti is that is bring variation to the games and a perception that you don't have to work as hard.

It is always possible to find a Long-Pip what is more comfortable and to play in the same way than the corresponding anti-top (with a plus on effect).
The weirdness effect from LPs is not from the spin reversal. Long pips will bend or not depending on the stroke. One of the things that is most difficult to do playing with LP is knowing when they will bend and grab and when they won't and then how to use that to get the effect you want or avoid a bad result. For best spin reversal you try to bump through the ball minimizing contact time and the chance of bending the pips. When the pips bend there will be more friction. One of the things that is hardest to get use to is when the opponent makes a strong under spin push. Your instincts tell you to open the blade a lot and make a slight chopping motion where the paddle will make a tangential motion beneath the ball. That will certainly result in a net ball because the tangential motion will cause the pips to bend and grab. Opening the blade a little bit and hitting only slightly up aiming for just over the net works best because then the opponents back spin becomes your top spin so the ball will curve down. LP players should attack underspin balls or make aggressive bump pushes. Anti is similar to LP but it doesn't have the bending pips problem. I suggest learning to play with a German Anti before trying LPs like Grass Dtecs or Giant Dragon Talon because one can learn how to make the basic strokes without adding in the pip bending complications. There are pips like 755 that are not the best at anything but are flexible compromises. One sacrifices spin reversal for the ability to hit the ball.
One more thing. I think it is essential to be able to twiddle rapidly without screwing up. It adds confusion to your opponent and provides attacking possibilities to your BH.

BTW, Dan Seemiller played with anti. Amilie Solja played with anti. There is another person with the initials of AA that is very good in Europe.

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
It's too bad TareqPhoto isn't around to make everyone want to pull their hair out. LOL

Aaawww man. :D
I think i went kinda hard at him last time he was derailing and hijacking a thread.
I hope i didn't scare him off the forum, cause i didn't find any posts from him since then.
After all his posts were still fun to read. ;)

Back to topic:

Well, it's kinda assuming for me to write on this, 'cause i'm not an official coach, but i'm often practicing with the newbies in our club and mostly just repeat what a coach did, when we book him every once in a while, so i'm not totally new to this.

I totally agree with carl.
Both of the points make a lot of sense to me.
If a player gets too lazy and only plays passively on the BH it could be beneficial using thicker rubbers to make him play more offensive, but if he suffers from lacking control a thinner sponge can be helpful as well.
I think there's not just ONE right correct way...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl