Hello again everyone and welcome to episode 8 of the TableTennisDaily podcast. In this episode we are joined alongside former professional player and now world renowned coach Richard Prause!

Richard Prause won the English Open with the German National Team in 1992. In 1999 Richard became a coach working for the German Table Tennis Association. In 2004 Richard became the head coach of the German National Team where he coached the likes of Timo Boll, Christian Suss, Dimitrij Ovtcharov and many more German Superstars to victory.

In 2010 Prause joined the Werner Schlager Academy as the head coach. In August 2015 Prause returned to the German Table Tennis Association as the Sports Director. Richard talks in depth about the coaching side of table tennis and provides many great tips to improve your game. Here’s the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4143116/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00:00 introduction.
01:13 Richards playing career.
04:12 Importance of starting young.
06:35 When Richard realised he wanted to become a coach.
07:51 Natural talent for coaching?
09:18 Natural talent for players, talks about Dimitrij Ovtcharov defying critics and how hard work beats talent.
12:10 Basics, basics, basics!
15:18 The Chinese secret.
17:12 Example of how important basics are using Timo Boll example.
18:35 Talent of wanting to play as much TT as possible.
20:16 How to make regular practise more fun.
23:00 Importance of service and receive in training.
26:32 Advise on how local league players can improve and how to improve if you don't play very often.
27:55 Richard tells us about his most special moment as a coach.
28:58 How to produce a good performance culture in the group you are coaching.
31:35 Richards coaching style.
32:45 Giving feedback when coaching.
34:35 What equipment to use.
37:40 TableTennisDaily user Questions.
41:02 Future of Werner Schlager Academy

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store.

What do you think about Richard's opinions on the world of table tennis?
Thanks for listening!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
well yeah this is basically putting the european players as slackers.
if I was a top euro player, dedicating my life to tt and doing everything possible to be the best, this type of comment would hurt me pretty bad.
I still don't know what prause said but according to the comments seems he said something like "chinese are the best because they work harder than everybody else".

but none of this matters because my fake viscaria is on its way and I'm excited because of this :-D

I'm not so sure about this.
Guys like Marcos Freitas who are really gifted and talented players know pretty well how much hard work it takes to be able play so good.
But i think you're not totally wrong and i think to break the Top 10 or even Top 30 you need that feeling being 'the chosen one' as well as the hard work.
I agree just practicing hard isn't enough (although IMHO it's 95%), you also need that 'winner'-mentality to climb to the top.

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Coach Prause with Xu Xin in the training hall at the WTTTC today :)

coachprausexuxin.jpg