Help from anybody who has played with Geospin Tacky?

This user has no status.
I have played with 2.0 Geospin Tacky for 2 years and like it but would like to play with something a bit faster on the forehand. The reason I like Geospin Tacky is the control and feel of the ball on the bat. I recently bought a couple of other rubbers to try as an alternative for my forehand. They were DHS Hurricane 3 NEO and Galaxy Big Dipper. According to the stats I read on Bribar, both of these rubbers were supposed to have more spin and speed than Geospin Tacky but less control. What I found was that they had more spin, similar control but less speed! However, the thing I really didn't like about them was that I had no feel on the ball compared to my Geospin Tacky. So I would be interested to hear from anybody who has used Geospin Tacky but has then moved on to a rubber which has a similar feel and characteristics but is a little bit faster.

This user has no status.
What type of strokes are you attempting to hit that make you feel these rubbers are slower? GeoSpin has a softer sponge than the other two you mentioned, meaning it will tend to give more speed on softer strokes and less speed on harder strokes as you compress the sponge more. Also, did you allow for break-in time on the new rubbers? Hurricane 3 NEO was awful slow for the first few hours of play before it opened up and became a decently fast rubber for me. What type of blade are these rubbers on? A lot of things could be making the difference.

This user has no status.
I tend to spin the ball more than hit flat so what you say makes some sense. My Geospin Tacky is on a Joola Rossi Allround and the new rubber is on a Tibhar Curious. Possibly the different feel may have something to do with the different blades but it's the feel of the ball on the bat that I like on the Geospin Tacky rubber.

This user has no status.
I tend to spin the ball more than hit flat so what you say makes some sense. My Geospin Tacky is on a Joola Rossi Allround and the new rubber is on a Tibhar Curious. Possibly the different feel may have something to do with the different blades but it's the feel of the ball on the bat that I like on the Geospin Tacky rubber.

Ah, that makes sense then. You went from a softish rubber on a softish blade to a hard rubber on a stiffer blade. Both are good combinations, but will result in different feel. I would imagine that as you get more comfortable with the new combo, your ability to hit faster shots will improve. When you get comfortable with the feel of the new setup, you'll swing more freely (read: faster) and your shots will get better. Unless you have a big contest in the near future I would stick with the new setup and see what happens! :cool:

Reactions: russell
This user has no status.
Not many horizontal pips spin oriented slow chopper friendly rubber out there. Any other recs? :)

Tried Geospin Tacky after Tackiness Chop 2 1.1 mm. Change the sponge to BLutenkirsche Japan1.5 mm.

Feel similar, just slightly softer to Tackiness Chop 2 1.1 mm.

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One of my clubmates has played with Geospin Tacky on Tibhar iv-l blade for several years, and then switched to Xiom Vega Europe, and, in his own words, could not be happier.
Thanks. That's interesting. I might give that one a try. I see you use DHS Hurricane 8 and Yasaka Mark V. How do you find the control on those rubbers?

This user has no status.
Ah, that makes sense then. You went from a softish rubber on a softish blade to a hard rubber on a stiffer blade. Both are good combinations, but will result in different feel. I would imagine that as you get more comfortable with the new combo, your ability to hit faster shots will improve. When you get comfortable with the feel of the new setup, you'll swing more freely (read: faster) and your shots will get better. Unless you have a big contest in the near future I would stick with the new setup and see what happens! :cool:
What you say is interesting because I've always been told that Chinese rubbers are hard yet you say that Geospin Tacky is softish. In fact, according to the TT database Geospin Tacky IS softer than DHS Hurricane 3 NEO and Big Dipper so it may be that I should try a softer rubber.

This user has no status.
What you say is interesting because I've always been told that Chinese rubbers are hard yet you say that Geospin Tacky is softish. In fact, according to the TT database Geospin Tacky IS softer than DHS Hurricane 3 NEO and Big Dipper so it may be that I should try a softer rubber.

That's actually where I got my information from :) One thing you might try, if both blades are nearly the same dimension, is taking the H3N or the Big Dipper and putting them on the Rossi blade. That may give you a little springier feel and more confidence to whack away. GeoSpin is sort of a funky Chinese rubber, with H3N and BD being modern iterations of the classic Chinese formula.

This user has no status.
Please let us know what you decide and tell us how it works out!
Will do but I've decided to try hitting with bats from other players in the clubs I play with and get a feel for the types I like as a starting point. Yesterday, I tried a DHS Hurricane 2 and didn't like that either! Next Sunday, I'm going to have a hit with Tenergy-05 FX which one of our best players uses.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
2 more questions on the same topic, if I may.
While I continue to read and try out other bats from players in my club, I'm going to buy some more Geospin Tacky because what I have on my blade is now 2 years old. It is currently on a Joola Rossi All-round blade. Is that a suitable blade for the rubber. I'm going to buy another blade when I order the rubber and keep the Joola Rossi for testing other rubbers. I'm going to look at for some of the recommendations I've had on here and see if any players at my club use any of the rubbers so I can try them.
Also, although I'm doing a lot of reading on the recommendations I've received above there are quite a lot of choices and it might be helpful to reduce the list of rubbers and/or blades (or even add some!) which are suitable for the type of game I play.
1. I use a lot of spin when serving on both forehand and backhand.
2. My game is decided by my opponent in that if he loops, I block, if he hits I counter-hit, if he pushes I push or flick.
3. I do not hit very hard but use my opponents speed so control and placement are my strong points.
4. I like a light blade and want wood not carbon.
5. I like to have a lot of control especially when pushing.
6. My backhand is much stronger than my forehand which is fine against loop or topspin but erratic against chop.

This user has no status.
We play very similarly! As far as the blade for the GeoSpin, if you like the feel and play OK with it, that's a good blade for it :) and at the moment it sounds like for a blade the Galaxy 896 or Dawei DW2 would work, but so would any ALL+/OFF- blade from the manufacturer of your choice. It sounds like you want something more flexy so I would verify that on TTDB before you buy anything. For rubber, it sounds like a modern, semi-tacky rubber would work well. 729 Battle II, Dawei 2008XP and Inspirit Quattro Ultralight, anything like that should work. In case you can't tell, I'm a little partial to very inexpensive equipment...

This user has no status.
We play very similarly! As far as the blade for the GeoSpin, if you like the feel and play OK with it, that's a good blade for it :) and at the moment it sounds like for a blade the Galaxy 896 or Dawei DW2 would work, but so would any ALL+/OFF- blade from the manufacturer of your choice. It sounds like you want something more flexy so I would verify that on TTDB before you buy anything. For rubber, it sounds like a modern, semi-tacky rubber would work well. 729 Battle II, Dawei 2008XP and Inspirit Quattro Ultralight, anything like that should work. In case you can't tell, I'm a little partial to very inexpensive equipment...
Thanks. I'm also generally very partial to inexpensive equipment unless I think there is a big advantage to me in using the expensive stuff! Dawei 2008XP keeps coming up a lot on recommendations I'm reading on various internet articles.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I tried several bats with different rubbers from other players at my club without liking any of them and bought some new Geospin Tacky on a Drinkall Allround blade. However one of the best players at my club gave me the red sheet of his old Tenergy 05 FX which he was replacing and I put it on my Joola Rossi Allround instead of the old Geospin Tacky red sheet I used on my forehand together with my old black Geospin Tacky. At first I thought I wouldn't like it but I've been practising with it for a couple of weeks now and have to say I really like it on my forehand. All I need now is to find something similar but a bit cheaper!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks. I'm also generally very partial to inexpensive equipment unless I think there is a big advantage to me in using the expensive stuff! Dawei 2008XP keeps coming up a lot on recommendations I'm reading on various internet articles.

I assure you russell, I have absolutely NOTHING to do with how often XP 2008 comes up in this forum as a usable BH rubber. :D

The rubber that was cemented as the BH rubber of the "Der_Echte Special" Cole supplied me to build that beast before I became full time Nexy user.

Reactions: russell and BeGo