Leaning back in modern over table loop

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
True , the theory of the golden triangle :)
Oh my bad, I misinterpreted a bit of your post, thank's for clarifying! Didn't realize we agreed on this. I noticed more of a change in the style among everyone with the larger ball than the change in ESN rubbers. My coach tells me one of the biggest reasons to end with the shorter stroke is because where you end should be your ready position, and your ending point for your forehand (give or take a few inches).

says what [IMG]
The european bh loop ends with an extended follow through while the chinese bh loop ends more forward instead of to your right. But yes, there are european players that end forward instead of to the right, while there are also some chinese that use a big swing.

But this is what they're talking about when they reference the two.

Now to OP, "Fan Zhendong's opening loop @ 40sec is more akin to what I'm talking about."

At this point he doesn't lean back at all, he makes good contact and then after the contact he jumps backwards and still stays leaned forward. If you're saying you don't lean back at all now, then fantastic, you've improved from where you started in this thread and I'm happy for you :)

If you're going to not post a video of yourself, and also discredit information given to you and still ask for opinions until you get the response you want, why make the thread in the first place?

If this is what you want, yes, your backhand is superior to ours and is that of a pro. You have a naturally talented backhand that we could only dream of having. And here I was fighting that natural lean back that I had. If only I knew that it was what was actually correct, then I wouldn't have been fighting it.

I got to the conclusion I wanted. To find out if the jumping/leaning was a bad habit or a technique, and if you should strive to keep your weight forward even if you're moving backwards.

Never was this thread primarily discussing my backhand, and your sarcastic post was a bit unneeded because of that. :rolleyes: Edit: Yes, it was mentioned though. Before someone mentions.

I'd also like to clarify that nearly everyone here completely misunderstood what I'm even talking about until I posted the FZD example. Never was the amateur like hip thrusting the focus of this thread.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
A high level coach told me that you should alays take a jump backwards after playing an opening topspin because there is no way that the ball will come back short (unless your opponent is especially skilled in chopblocks :D).

As for leaning back
Leaning back after playing the backhand is bad for you because:

1. It puts stress on the back as you use your back as a spring for creating power.

2. The recovery time is much longer as you have to get back into the ready position.

However, in competition, even high level players are surprised by a sudden long push and they then have no other option but to not be as strict with their technique.. ZJK also used this technique once or twice in his match against Ma Long in the 2015 German Open to create extra power to get past Ma Long. However it was only used when he was sure that the ball wouldn't come back and IMO it also put stress on his back.

I really like Boll's backhand technique.

There is a slight upwards movement but he never leans back. His footwork close to the table is really perfect and I haven't seen him get caught out yet and lean back to play a backhand stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archosaurus
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A high level coach told me that you should alays take a jump backwards after playing an opening topspin because there is not way that the ball will come back short (unless your opponent is especially skilled in chopblocks :D).

As for leaning back
Leaning back after playing the backhand is bad for you because:

1. It puts stress on the back as you use your back as a spring for creating power.

2. The recovery time is much longer as you have to get back into the ready position.

However, in competition, even high level players are surprised by a sudden long push and they then have no other option but to not be as strict with their technique.. ZJK also used this technique once or twice in his match against Ma Long in the 2015 German Open to create extra power to get past Ma Long. However it was only used when he was sure that the ball wouldn't come back and IMO it also put stress on his back.

I really like Boll's backhand technique.

There is a slight upwards movement but he never leans back. His footwork close to the table is really perfect and I haven't seen him get caught out yet and lean back to play a backhand stroke.

Great post.

So:

Get away from the edge when playing an opening topspin, but refrain from using the back.

In a way, using the back is a little like reaching for a long forehand because you're off balance: better to cure the cause.

You are finally letting go of the defensiveness and the arguing and starting to get it. Good deal. Almost everyone who commented was making a similar point to ttmonster and anchorschmidt. Now it seems you are understanding what people have been saying.

And even if you didn't understand it, there may have been a reason why Shuki got frustrated with your argumentative stance. But, the important point is, you started understanding what people were telling you. So good job on opening up and realizing what people were trying to tell you.

And good job by ttmonster and anchorschmidt for having the patience to explain this in a way that would help you understand and accept the information.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think the leaning back can help to get the right timing to hit the ball.
Similar to the jump some players do when playing.
I also do the leaning back sometimes, however it may give you a better bat angel to spin the ball, but you lose alot of power and momentum.
What may be taken for leaning back is actually a sligth movment of the back into the stroke itself and the weight stays on the toes.
So if you are not a top player with highend technique id say its better to avoid leaning back as its only good in certain situations.

Just my two cents :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I don't think it's actually the best technique but a necessary, realistic reaction. CNT players try to play close to the table, not letting the ball to drop in order to play fast powerful shots. But when they do that they are vulnerable to long fast balls, when they don't have much time to react. So they lean a bit to the back to gain a little time and a little space.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, I was just informing Carl about the root cause of mild interference in the stratosphere that Carl has successfully detected using tantric radars from his abode in deep space

I 100% agree with you. It was my first thought - you just posted it, that's all. Many young people learn well like that, hoping that others will correct them. The value of asking questions is lost on the young.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
I was glad when I saw this thread as the number one problem I have according to two USTTA coaches at two different clubs is my tendency to slowly migrate (sometimes not so slowly) to the edge of the table on my backhand corner' where I become trapped and cannot use proper strokes.I end up too upright, swinging more upwards. I too play close to the table and try to catch most balls on the rise.This was originally developed in my game back in the early 90's when I was 80 lbs. lighter,ran 10 miles a day and could move around to the forehand side to flat hit and loop many shots. Back then though I wasn't so near the table as I am now, was faster and had faster reflexes. Today, I am "too close,too close,too close" and I end up trapped when a ball is hit deep and I have to stand upright/back to gain some space but end up with a weak return, have to block or having the ball go off the back end as I cant apply much topspin to the ball. In the course of the most recent training in an attempt to fix this problem I was repeatedly scourged, berated and ridiculed and forced to play at the children's table. Take it from me, the coaches and the posted video: playing closer to the table to gain more speed and a faster return is fine. So close that it prevents full strokes and forces you to pop upright in an attempt to gain the separation needed to get topspin? Bad,Bad,Bad.No be like me and "no listen". You listen to Next Level,Archosaurus,ttmonster and Timo Boll..Proper mechanics is key to the game. Otherwise you end up beaten and bloody playing at the children's table...

Last edited:
Reactions: dio_hgw
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Whatever you do, don't listen to me. I think I belong at the children's table. ;)

On another account, exactly what kind of satanic ritual was performed to resurrect this beast, and who in their right mind would will it?

That was meee :D i thougth id stalk you a little archo.

says what [IMG]
That was meee :D i thougth id stalk you a little archo.

Please don't. This thread is nearly half a year old, and I was a moron half a year ago. Well, still am.

I don't suggest you start pretending to be Mr. Expert like I did, when you're just a beginner.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Please don't. This thread is nearly half a year old, and I was a moron half a year ago. Well, still am.

I don't suggest you start pretending to be Mr. Expert like I did, when you're just a beginner.

Hahaha. This is funny.