Shakehanders learning to play penhold (for fun)

says what [IMG]
Hello.

I'm quite curious: are there any shakehanders who have learned to play penhold for fun? I've learned to play all forehand J-pen style, and I can loop from both wings with RPB. I'd estimate my level in RPB to be quite lower than my shakehand, but I've felt it has helped improve my overall game, especially consistency due to learning to hit loops with the reverse side.

Learning to serve with penhold as well as I do with shakehand has also improved my serve consistency and placement tremendously and helped me hide my spin on pendulum serves.

I think next, I will learn the clipboard style.

Hodges.jpg

:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I started out with penhold and I believe it helped me quite a bit with playing backhand and forehand loops with shakehand. I noticed each grip uses the forearm muscles in different ways. It would be nice if companies would show a little love and develop some type of grippy surface you can stick in the middle of a rubber for RPB. The fingers get awfully sweaty in the middle of a game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I've fiddled with penhold, I'm sure everyone has. I don't think it made me any better though. I think spending that time working on your shakehand stroke would have been a better use of time. I've also fiddled with Long Pip chopping but I think that was a mistake too.

This user has no status.
I started as Jpen. Then moved to Cpen. Due arthritis my metacarpophalangeal joint started to hurt a lot after hours of training. In that time i was on a 4 hours/day 5days/week schedule. I had to sink my hand in a bucket of water every end of session.

Now im a Allround shakehander. But once in a while that nostalgic feeling comes back. I am a much aggresive player as penhold. So i got myself some penhold setups. Jpen with inverted and short pips, cpen with pips fh smooth bh and double inverted. It is always a wonderful experience.

At first it may seem a waste of time and money but along with the joy i have while playing with different styles, i also learn a different strategies and i think it gives me more sense/awareness of my body and how to move effectively.

I think i should do an internship to learn this clipboard grip. Seems to be revolutionary!

says what [IMG]
I don't think learning penhold, especially RPB, is a waste of time. Unless you're not playing this sport to enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Forehand all table teaches you to have pretty good footwork.
I also feel that penholding has also increased my overall awareness of what kind of spin I'm inducing, something that drilling a shakehand stroke couldn't achieve.

Paccheco, Larry Hodges plays a 2000USATT level with the clipboard. It's no joke!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
...It would be nice if companies would show a little love and develop some type of grippy surface you can stick in the middle of a rubber for RPB. The fingers get awfully sweaty in the middle of a game.

You mean something like this? The rough surface does give better grip but also add extra unwanted thickness. I think this is meant for use with one side penhold blades in the first place as I found it is all too easy to damage the bare wood side on the back without any protection.
penpad.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Learning Penhold is sort of hard for a shakehand player but it would actually help shakehand improve in some ways. So it would be useful. And if it is fun, it is not a waste of time.

Shadow drills left handed or, really, doing shadow drills righty and then lefty and going back and forth would actually really help.

And then trying to take that onto the table and learn to play a little left handed would actually really help. That is very interesting stuff. It has to do with left brain/right brain communication. And it has to do with the fact that as you are trying to figure out how you do it righty to translate it to doing it better lefty, your right side learns what to do better. So as your left side learns from your right. Your right side learns from you trying to figure it out with the non-dominant side.

For a left handed player, read left as right and right as left. LOL.

By the way: don't worry if you try this and feel really awkward at first. If you start with shadow drills and then move onto the table, you will get better faster than you would imagine.

This info is probably also why the CNT make all their players train a certain amount lefty.

And Xu Xin is probably awesome with his right hand since he is actually right handed even though he plays TT lefty.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
Learning Penhold is sort of hard for a shakehand player but it would actually help shakehand improve in some ways. So it would be useful. And if it is fun, it is not a waste of time.

Shadow drills left handed or, really, doing shadow drills righty and then lefty and going back and forth would actually really help.

And then trying to take that onto the table and learn to play a little left handed would actually really help. That is very interesting stuff. It has to do with left brain/right brain communication. And it has to do with the fact that as you are trying to figure out how you do it righty to translate it to doing it better lefty, your right side learns what to do better. So as your left side learns from your right. Your right side learns from you trying to figure it out with the non-dominant side.

For a left handed player, read left as right and right as left. LOL.

By the way: don't worry if you try this and feel really awkward at first. If you start with shadow drills and then move onto the table, you will get better faster than you would imagine.

This info is probably also why the CNT make all their players train a certain amount lefty.

And Xu Xin is probably awesome with his right hand since he is actually right handed even though he plays TT lefty.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

I've mucked around a bit with playing left handed. I can do shadow drills absolutely perfectly when compared to my right side, and I can drive and push around on the left side.

The only problem is that the body is not used to automatically executing strokes on the left side, so if I have to play with any kind of spin on my left side, I get tangled into a knot. :rolleyes:

I think we should pay more attention to playing with the non-dominant hand. If you can loop pretty well as a lefty, imagine what you can do with your good hand!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
You mean something like this? The rough surface does give better grip but also add extra unwanted thickness. I think this is meant for use with one side penhold blades in the first place as I found it is all too easy to damage the bare wood side on the back without any protection.
View attachment 9348

Thank you for the post. I had no idea such products existed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This user has no status.
Ok, im thrilled now about this style. So much fun. Although i gave up on southpaw for now.
I made some deals at my clubs black market and i got a Xiom Katana Special, it arrives this sunday. The blade itself weighs 108gr so i will start with soft, very light rubbers. Vega Europe and Zava, both 2.0mm.
Lets see how i develop as this kind of player. Ive always tended to stay close to table and do 3rd ball kill anyway.

One thing ive noticed as my club slowly starts to introduce polyball, the Pips players there, and also at my local league, have been succeding a bit better. One more point here and there, one set and even winning games that wouldnt before.
Is the polyball better for pips than the celulloid? Because this ball while being slower, you can almost everytime smash it with sp, either FH or BH. Also the ball drops much faster and when you hit a bobble/dead ball, it is a bit harder to generating enough spin in so little time.

I dont know...would you guys share you thoughts about it? Is it a Short pips comeback? :D
---

Thanks Archosaurus for posting the videos. I watched every other related video about short pips penholder too. One interesting thing is when i showed the guoliang video to my coach, he told me himself was sp penholder for almost a decade, back when he started to play. So i think after all i wont have to lurk internet database/forums about coaching or other clubs here. :eek:

Grateful,
Raul Pacheco.

Reactions: Archosaurus