Cocked Wrist issue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So for a long time now my coach has been trying very hard to get me to un-cock my wrist. I had always thought the reason I had it the way I do is because of the way I hold the paddle. While this may be slightly the case we have actually found out the real reason why. When I un-cock my wrist, I can no longer hold a relaxed stroke, the reason I can't relax my stroke is because I have so little muscle around my wrist area that It's actually a struggle to hold it uncocked for long, gravity is what usually uncocked my wrist. And while it seemed to her that the problem was getting worse, (my wrist was becoming more and more cocked) it was really the exact same problem. But my stroke we becoming quite a bit quicker so it looked more cocked. As my forearm pushed the paddle through the air quicker it left me hand behind making it appear more cocked, as with doing my backstroke it looked like it wasn't cocked at all. We tested this problem with a measly 3 pound weight that she runs with. I held the weight in my hand with my arm out and tried to lift the weight with my hand and to no avail, I couldn't budge the weight. Strange that a muscle that people use since childhood picking up objects and holding them and whatnot, that I would never have developed this muscle very far. I've always had shakey hands and now I've found out why. Once holding them out for about 20 seconds I'm actually straining to keep them out. It's like flexing a muscle non-stop. She is not thinking of another solution at the moment to my cocked wrist.

Before you go on with "lots of players have a cocked wrist it's fine, look at mizutani" take into consideration this picture I made. If your wrist isn't cocked the paddle is directly in front of your hand, so when you do a stroke it's quite easy to judge where the ball is. Just try and hit the ball with your hand and your paddle will get there first. If the wrist is cocked, the paddle is away from your hand, almost like an extension thats farther away from your hand. So you have to judge on an area that you normally wouldn't go through.

There are also pro's and con's to this action that I've noticed.

Pro's to cocked wrist, I believe looping is much easier, plus I guess technically you would have a better reach to do a full stroke, since it's actually farther than your hand.

Con's: It's easier to get jammed with your forehand since it's away from you, my biggest issue in games isn't necessarily missing the table or misreading the spin, but simply wiffing the ball while keeping my eyes on it the whole time. quite often I hit my thumb which I believe would happen less frequently if my paddle was in the same plane as my hand.

I've been fighting the cocked wrist for quite some time now, and I've always noticed that once I get tired I start to play better. I think part of that is because since I'm not FLEXING my wrist to hold it in the right place, I can finally relax my stroke again.

So here's the dilemma: What should I do, Keep fighting the cocked wrist and try to develop those muscles? Or have an incorrect stroke and play better.

All advice AND criticism is welcome, please provide your input. Also I'd like to hear more pro's and cons to holding it these two ways.

P.S. If my coach decides to do something it be make an adjustment or keep fighting it, I'm going to end up ignoring conflicting advice and follow what she says ;)

cocked_wrist_problem.jpg

Sorry for my terrible drawing. Here's what I mean.

BAD=

Cocked.jpg

GOOD=

Uncocked.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thank you for this post, I have the exact same problem! Mine is mental though, I learned to loop as more of a forward-swinging loop drive with a cocked wrist. That became my go-to shot but it took so much effort to return under spin that I could never recover in time if it were blocked back. Recently, I switched to a more natural loop stroke starting lower and finishing higher with an open wrist. This allows me to use my forearm and wrist to snap the paddle through for more spin and speed. My suggestion is to learn to un-cock your wrist by practicing shadow strokes. It took me about 2000 shadow strokes over a week or two to really groove it but the results are VERY worth it. I have very strong wrists, as I am a powerlifter and am capable of deadlifting over 450 pounds, so wrist strength is not an issue. If it is an issue for you, I suggest hammer curls with a dead-straight wrist in addition to wrist rollers to build up enough strength to hold your wrist straight. Best of luck :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My suggestion is to learn to un-cock your wrist by practicing shadow strokes. It took me about 2000 shadow strokes

Great advice, but the problem for me is the wrist strength, so I can do maybe 2 shadow strokes with it uncocked. Then entire arm tightens and after about 10 of my arm being tightened up my wrist goes limp again. Once it's limp again I don't have to strain the muscles and I can do my shadow strokes again with easy. I can do maybe ONE and a HALF hammer curl. Right now I'm trying to get it stronger without any weight by holding it up as long as possible. at about 30 seconds it starts to shake and after about 2 minutes i cant even hold it up with it shaking. I did this quite a few times yesterday and today I can hardly move my wrist. I think I overused it yesterday trying to develop some muscle in it.

P.S.
I'm glad to hear once you got your issue solved it was able to help you so much! best of luck to you!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
How much weight are you using for the hammer curl? I would go very light at first and progress so that you don't over strain and further program that wrist position into your nervous system. Maybe going without weight at first is a good idea. If you're not used to straining you're gonna be VERY sore at first but your body will adapt quickly :) another idea for the shadow strokes is to do them without a paddle in your hands, work with relaxing your hand and wrist both until that feels natural. Then once your muscles are trained to relax you can add the paddle and work from there. It sounds like this motor pattern is pretty heavily ingrained in your nervous system and you may have to take a few steps back to correct it, but you'll definitely reap the reward when you go through with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
for clarity's sake, I'm assuming you are saying that the incorrect grip is the first picure? Yes? Because would call the second grip "Cocked"

incorrect, the second picture is cocked and is wrong according to my coach :). gravity is whats causing my cocked wrist, i don't have muscle to uncock it.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The pictures do not reflect a cocked wrist. Or at least, they don't show what I am thinking.

My guess is, it is a hooked wrist like mine. Haha. See if I can take some photos and post. But can't do that while I'm walking. Haha.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
The pictures do not reflect a cocked wrist. Or at least, they don't show what I am thinking.

Yeah, since there are degrees of freedom here, definition of 'cocked' can be confusing: I believe he describes ulnar deviation, and you are thinking about wrist flexion. Or something like that. I found picture below on the interwebs:

Flexion.Extension.Pronation.Supination.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
An exercise I do to improve grip strength, that could also help in this is as follows:

Take a barbell of adequate weight. I normally go for 25 - 30kg but you will NOT be able to hold anything close to that weight any time soon. I recommend starting and trying with 10kg.

Hold the barbell with a comfortable shoulder width grip, with the palms facing down. The opposite of the bicep curling grip.

Put your elbows to your sides, so your arms are pointing straight down and bent 90 degrees.

With your wrists straight, hold the weight there for 10 sec. You should not try to "chicken wing" your elbows out nor should you cock your wrists up or down.

Release the weight slowly, bending from the legs and slowly release your grip as you lower the weight. Spiking pain can occur if you just suddenly drop it, I do not suggest it.

This should in theory reduce the speed you can cock your wrist at for a topspin for example, but I have not noticed a difference apart from far better grip strength and less fatigue along with more stability.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
An exercise I do to improve grip strength, that could also help in this is as follows:

Take a barbell of adequate weight. I normally go for 25 - 30kg but you will NOT be able to hold anything close to that weight any time soon. I recommend starting and trying with 10kg.

Hold the barbell with a comfortable shoulder width grip, with the palms facing down. The opposite of the bicep curling grip.

Put your elbows to your sides, so your arms are pointing straight down and bent 90 degrees.

With your wrists straight, hold the weight there for 10 sec. You should not try to "chicken wing" your elbows out nor should you cock your wrists up or down.

Release the weight slowly, bending from the legs and slowly release your grip as you lower the weight. Spiking pain can occur if you just suddenly drop it, I do not suggest it.

This should in theory reduce the speed you can cock your wrist at for a topspin for example, but I have not noticed a difference apart from far better grip strength and less fatigue along with more stability.

I can do this WITHOUT a weight for about 10-20 seconds until my hands start to shake from the strain. Definitely not with a 10kg barbell. I simply couldn't straighten my wrist out with a 3 pound weight (1.3kg) let alone a 10kg weight for a longer duration.

says what [IMG]
I can do this WITHOUT a weight for about 10-20 seconds until my hands start to shake from the strain. Definitely not with a 10kg barbell. I simply couldn't straighten my wrist out with a 3 pound weight (1.3kg) let alone a 10kg weight for a longer duration.
In that case, you do that.

When it gets easy, start adding weight.

Although your wrists do sound terribly weak. Are you sure you don't have some kind of condition ie: muscle weakening, ligament damage etc?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My wrist looks like the "bad" photo pretty much all the time when I play relaxed table tennis. Hopefully it's not all that bad. I usually wear it proudly like I'm some kind of Wang Liqin wannabe.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My wrist looks like the "bad" photo pretty much all the time when I play relaxed table tennis. Hopefully it's not all that bad. I usually wear it proudly like I'm some kind of Wang Liqin wannabe.

Not necessarily that bad, it makes looping fairly easy for you I'm assuming, but high balls would be more of a struggle than they should be as well as other flat hits. You also probably hit your fingers more often than others do. It's like having your paddle farther away from your body opposed to being in front of where your hand would go during a stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Shuki,

My personal opinion is that your wrist is fine in the "bad" photo, and the reason your wrist looks the way it does is that you are more flexible than average. I personally don't give any conscious thought to what my wrist is doing, other than making sure it is relaxed enough to make a whip pattern on all my strokes. But this is coming from an 1800 level player, so I will step out of the way and let someone that actually knows what they're talking about chime in.