Why do you boost?

This user has no status.
Hey all, I'm constantñy reading posts and topics on boosting, and I have a simple question: why do you boost? For what reasons, and how?

I have never boosted my rubbers, although recently I "boosted" old cheapo 729 rubbers with 4 layers of WD-40 hahaha.

I currently use H3N on my FH and Skyline II NEO on my BH. The setup works perfectly fine, although I suspect the local store gave me old stock because my rubbers are barely tacky.

I guess I kinda get why professionals would boost, but when you aren't playing at the top level, why would you boost?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Because some rubbers seem to come from the factory with some booster in them. After a while the booster expires and as the result (1) the rubber shrinks and doesn't cover the blade head which is kinda annoying (2) the rubber gets a different feeling, becomes slower and less spinnier. So I boost rubbers to get the original feeling and to not see shrunk rubber on the blade. Buying a new sheet doesn't make much sense to me -- why buy new one if the topsheet is still grippy and sponge can be revitalized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well i've started playing TT in the early eighties, when speedglue-play was not only popular it was everywhere. So boosting doesn't give me headaches, especially since it's not as harmful as speedglueing.
Using a boosted H3 is a totally different world compared to a non-boosted one.
The rubber just behaves totally different. Hard to describe if you haven't felt it for yourself.
It gets faster, spinnier but still easier to control on spinny shots. We have a couple of players over 60 in our club and some of them prefer to play factory tuned rubbers cause they don't have to swing as hard as with non-boosted ones to hit a fast and spinny shot.

In the end it's probably a matter of taste.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't boost. I think it makes Tenergy 05 mushy and too bouncy. Some people boost it lightly.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
The main reason I boost is because Hurricane series tend to be slow without boosting it.
I am a equipment maniac so I would say that play a bit part in my boosting option but overall, its amazingly fast when boosted.

In my opinion H3N is one of the most tricky rubber to handle. Its sticky, slow and heavy.
It might happen to you that when you hit balls without good form, the ball becomes really easy to smash.
By boosting it, although overall setup gain some weight, it covers the weakness of slow and sticky.
Its my personal opinion but I feel my H3P becomes sticky tensor.

That's the reason I boost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I boost every one of my rubbers. But I only boost them once they have died. I order a new pair of rubbers and I boost the old ones and play with them until my new ones come in. What I hate most about boosting is how much it weighs my paddle down.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Hey all, I'm constantñy reading posts and topics on boosting, and I have a simple question: why do you boost? For what reasons, and how?

I have never boosted my rubbers, although recently I "boosted" old cheapo 729 rubbers with 4 layers of WD-40 hahaha.

I currently use H3N on my FH and Skyline II NEO on my BH. The setup works perfectly fine, although I suspect the local store gave me old stock because my rubbers are barely tacky.

I guess I kinda get why professionals would boost, but when you aren't playing at the top level, why would you boost?

How do you boost using WD-40? Do you just spray it on the top sheet and spread it around until it dries and then use it? Also, when using WD-40, how long does the boosted feeling last for?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
How do you boost using WD-40? Do you just spray it on the top sheet and spread it around until it dries and then use it? Also, when using WD-40, how long does the boosted feeling last for?
Yup! It made the topsheet tackier
I sprayed 4-5 layers onto the sponge and it got more elastic and responsive. I waited 12 hours before spraying another layer

This user has no status.
The main reason I boost is because Hurricane series tend to be slow without boosting it.
I am a equipment maniac so I would say that play a bit part in my boosting option but overall, its amazingly fast when boosted.

In my opinion H3N is one of the most tricky rubber to handle. Its sticky, slow and heavy.
It might happen to you that when you hit balls without good form, the ball becomes really easy to smash.
By boosting it, although overall setup gain some weight, it covers the weakness of slow and sticky.

What would one use to boost his H3N if he wanted to try it out?

This user has no status.

That being said, should I boost my H3N?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
If you're going to boost don't just use a home made booster like wd40. actually buy some real table tennis booster like falco or kailin oil or something.

If you don't like the effect of wd40 but arent sure if you'd like the effect of real booster then you'd have to boost a second time and you now have a ruined rubber soaked with wd40.

At least if you boost with a real booster you'll know for a fact that you simply don't like boosted rubber.

Reactions: DoctorPaco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Tune ???!!!

I can Tuna Fish...

Hey Der_Echte, i got a question for you about boosting. Lets say i took my rubber off my blade. Most of the time, my rubber shrinks when i do so. If i were to boost, it, would it go back to perfectly fit the size of my blade? or would there be excess i need to cut off?

This user has no status.
If you're going to boost don't just use a home made booster like wd40. actually buy some real table tennis booster like falco or kailin oil or something.

If you don't like the effect of wd40 but arent sure if you'd like the effect of real booster then you'd have to boost a second time and you now have a ruined rubber soaked with wd40.

At least if you boost with a real booster you'll know for a fact that you simply don't like boosted rubber.
How much would that cost, and how can I buy that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I play with Tenergy 05 - Boosting is unnecessary.

I kinda agree, but a pro player told me that many pro players love Tenergy because its sponge is so good for boosting and therefore many pros boost it.
But personally i didn't find the need to boost mine, totally opposite to my H3N.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
megaspin has falco, ttnpp has kailin but prettty sure the kailin oil is fake there.

How do you know the kailin oil is fake there?
No trap question here, just want to know how to differentiate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk