Why do you boost?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The person that invented boosters should get a Nobel prize :D

Really, you should thank the guy who decided to start using glue from a bicycle inner tube repair kit to glue their rubbers on. :) That is where speed glue came from and without speed glue, nobody would have tried to find chemicals that had a similar effect but with the effect lasting for an extended period of time.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Really, you should thank the guy who decided to start using glue from a bicycle inner tube repair kit to glue their rubbers on. :) That is where speed glue came from and without speed glue, nobody would have tried to find chemicals that had a similar effect but with the effect lasting for an extended period of time.

Yeah, I think that he was a Hungarian. But I have to say that regluing before each practice session sucks, boosters are way more practical.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yeah, I think that he was a Hungarian. But I have to say that regluing before each practice session sucks, boosters are way more practical.
Why is it more practical? Because the effect lasts longer? If yes, how often do you have to boost approximately if you want to have the same gaming experience all the time?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Why is it more practical? Because the effect lasts longer? If yes, how often do you have to boost approximately if you want to have the same gaming experience all the time?

B practical I mean that I don't want to reglue 5 times per week, but once in a while is OK. Previously I used some booster that my training partner got from eBay, it lasted for a month. Now I'm having Falco Long, let's see how much it will last.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Xylit ain't wrong. Let me just rephrase that.

I'd say it depends on your point of view. Speedglue was pretty easy to use and also dried much faster. Not like those modern wbg glues.
Actually i don't think anyone who used speedglue let it dry. One just had to press the rubber on the blade with the glue still wet.
Experienced players wouldn't take much longer than 5 minutes.
Just compare how long one has to wait for the booster to dry and that whole procedure.
With speed glue you had to put on a couple of layers to start and then just add another 1 - 2 layers. That was quick and easy done before every match.
I even think some players used this procedure like some kind of meditation and getting prepared for the game.
I don't think that would work with booster and wbg.

;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Xylit: the effect from speed glue used to last for about 8-12 hours so, you effectively had to reglue each time you played. The boost effect from a good speed glue was bigger than from any of the boosters that have developed. But each day you played you had to reglue and the effect varied from application to application.

So boosting is considerably more convenient. And my point was simply that they would never even have thought to develop boosters if someone had not discovered the effect of high levels of VOCs on the sponge of a rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ooops, we must have posted parallel. :)
Well, as i said: some people might find it more convenient not having to wait for ages, until the booster sinks in.... Just spread speed glue on and you're good to go.

Yep. We posted parallel. :)

But we both posted decent info that goes together well. You explained why boosting is a pain in the rump. My way, it was not as much of a pain. :) Put the stuff on. Don't wait, slap the rubber on as soon as the glue will let you. But, I was using paraffin, and old glue or glue like old glue (Donic Vario Clean) that is water based where you can pull the rubber off and just simply press it right back on. And where the boost sunk straight through the glue. And boosting was still way more of a pain in the azz than speed glue. But doing it every day was a small hassle.

And you are absolutely right. It was like a ritual to sit and glue before you played. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Would boosting Rakza 7 give anything to the rubber? I thought the "newer" european rubbers wasn't really needed to be boosted but maybe that's only tenergy?

This user has no status.
will this do the trick? How many layers :D johnsons-baby-oil.jpg

This user has no status.

I still use this method for my rubbers. Works like charm.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
will this do the trick? How many layers :D View attachment 9406

That is the good stuff... the one im using. Just to make sure, look at the ingredients in the back. It should say "mineral oil, fragrance". Most J&J and other baby oils also have eucalyptus oils as well. While I haven't tried them (nor do I intend to), I think the lesser the ingredients the better.

Note however, the effects of baby oil is permanent, which is a great thing in my book. It won't produce as strong of an effect as lamp oil or kerosene (which releases gases into the pores of the sponge causing it to expand), but it won't dry out either (with lamp oil/kerosene, the gases ultimately escape from the sponge and the sponge will shrink back, and the chemical reaction created that caused the release of gas damages the sponge and reduces the life of the rubber).

Baby oil however, is more of a physical reaction with the sponge than chemical (the sponge soaks it and inflates). It also doesn't evaporate so the effect is permanent and non-destructive. The rubbers will never *reverse-dome* again!

As for how many layers, it depends on how stretchy the topsheet is. Since the rubber never undomes, it is possible to boost the rubber TOO much and the curl wont cause the rubber to stick to the paddle. In this case, people have recommended using WD40 to stretch the topsheet to reduce the dome, but i think in my opinion both the sponge and topsheet have changed way to much for me to bother with.

I recommend 1 to 1.5 thick layers on H3N, TG3N is definitely sufficient.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I boost because I have complete disregard for sportsmanship and other players who do not boost. I also boost because I like Chinese table tennis players and they boost and don't get caught so I believe I can play just like them if I boost. I must mention that I can't afford Tenergy so I would like to save money by boosting cheap Chinese rubbers and second hand Tenergy.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Would boosting Rakza 7 give anything to the rubber? I thought the "newer" european rubbers wasn't really needed to be boosted but maybe that's only tenergy?

If you boost the Rakza 7, you have to trow it away after the first time of play... It will shrink like MAD. At least that happened when I tried to SG it.

Ofc you could hope it won't happen with regular booster :)

This user has no status.
I boost because I have complete disregard for sportsmanship and other players who do not boost. I also boost because I like Chinese table tennis players and they boost and don't get caught so I believe I can play just like them if I boost. I must mention that I can't afford Tenergy so I would like to save money by boosting cheap Chinese rubbers and second hand Tenergy.

I boost my opponents' paddles before playing so they can stand a chance against me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I generally boost the rubber on the soles of my shoes and I also find that boosting my National version socks and underwear is very effective and gives me an edge in match play and also with the ladies. [emoji2] But if the goon squad finds out they will be after me in a heartbeat: yet again.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I generally boost the rubber on the soles of my shoes and I also find that boosting my National version socks and underwear is very effective and gives me an edge in match play and also with the ladies. [emoji2] But if the goon squad finds out they will be after me in a heartbeat: yet again.

This one was not good hit... This one was shot with blanks