Hello and welcome to episode 9 of the TableTennisDaily podcast, thanks for tuning in. In this episode we are joined alongside Swedish Legend Jorgen Persson! Jorgen Persson won the World Championships in 1991defeating team mate Jan Ove Waldner and has played in every single Olympic event since table tennis was introduced in 1988, an incredible 7 Olympic events.

Persson is known for his unique backhand punch and his success has captured audiences from around the world. Jorgen is an ambassador for table tennis and is the current coach of Dimitrij Ovtcharov.

We go into great detail with Ovtcharov's training methods and Jorgen's experiences into becoming one of the greatest table tennis players of all time. Here’s the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4174113/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00.00 Introduction
00.54 Persson talks about his victory at the 2016 ITTF Legends Tour.
01.31 Age and the importance of starting young.
03.13 Playing multiple sports.
04.19 When did Jorgen realise he could become a world class player.
06.00 How Jan Ove Waldner and Jorgen Persson inspired one another.
06.59 Talent vs hard work.
07.50 How much Jorgen and Waldner practiced when he was younger.
08.34 How training methods and styles of play have changed over the years.
11.16 Jorgen talks about winning the World Team Championships in 2000 defeating China.
14.05 Jorgen Persson and Jan Ove waldner talk about their positive rivalry.
15.31 How the Chinese National Team adapt so well to the rule changes.
18.42 What makes good equipment and comparison to China’s equipment.
21.41 Thoughts on plastic ball.
22.50 Jorgen talks about coaching Dimitrij Ovtcharov and what he is working on.
24.27 How hard is it taking on the Chinese such as Ma Long and how can Ovtcharov defeat him.
25.51 Jorgen talks about how his venture with Dimitrij Ovtcharov came about.
27.34 What are you focussing on Dimitrij in the training hall.
29.44 Jorgen’s experience in China and what he learned with types of practice and styles.
31.36 The reason behind less styles in table tennis.
32.52 Jorgen’s prime vs Ma Long and Zhang Jike’s prime.
35.35 What age do players peak at and Ma Long and Fan Zhendong’s current performance.
37.40 TableTennisDaily user Questions.

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store. If you are an android user you can download the Stitcher app and search for TableTennisDaily.

What do you think about Jorgen Persson's opinions on the world of table tennis?
Thanks for listening!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Haha very true, thanks for the kind comments. Your questions you submit are absolutely fantastic and really help us in preparation! Thanks again! :)
No problem, Dan :)
I'm happy that you find some inspiration in my questions to take the podcasts further. To submit them is the least I can do to help, IMHO. But in the end, it's your own efforts and dedication that make the podcasts as good as they are. After all, you're the ones doing the hard work :)

Reactions: Dan and ttmonster
says Aha, sorry. Trodde du var en annan Millesom spelar i...
JP is a really nice, humble person, always helping the young guys at the club donating his rubbers and never hesitates to be photographed with the kids or signing stuff. A really likeable athlete!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hi Dan, thanks again for the great podcast.
If you do ask him more questions in the future as he very kindly suggested I would like someone to ask him these questions.
If he was coaching an intermediate player would he recommend classic rubber or tensor? What sponge hardness? What speed should the blade be, what rubber thickness, should they use the same rubber on both sides? When to switch to carbon? It would be interesting to ask him the same questions about a beginner, intermediate, non pro player and a pro player. Maybe you could do another podcast with him specifically about equipment, I think that he would answer a lot of peoples questions about equipment.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
If you do ask him more questions in the future as he very kindly suggested I would like someone to ask him these questions.
If he was coaching an intermediate player would he recommend classic rubber or tensor? What sponge hardness? What speed should the blade be, what rubber thickness, should they use the same rubber on both sides? When to switch to carbon? It would be interesting to ask him the same questions about a beginner, intermediate, non pro player and a pro player. Maybe you could do another podcast with him specifically about equipment, I think that he would answer a lot of peoples questions about equipment.

Persson was an EJ. Yeah, maybe he has some interesting views on this.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Persson was an EJ. Yeah, maybe he has some interesting views on this.

Good suggestions guys, we will do another podcast in the near future and we will Persson to answer these questions surrounding equipment :)

Reactions: anchorschmidt