Are the quality of stiga products good or bad? (thinking of buying a blade)

This user has no status.
I have seen many people complaining about the quality of Stiga products, saying it splinters after you take off the rubber or the blade chips really easily.
How true is this actually? I am trying to find a new blade and I thought Stiga had heaps of blades to choose from.
Can someone please tell me about their firsthand impressions of any Stiga blades and if they are worth buying.
Please give me suggestions for blades too (I prefer blades that are medium-heavy if that makes sense)
Thanks! :D

Last edited:
I bought an Emerald VPS this january and its top ply wrinkled the first time I took a rubber out. It was well attached -with Stiga glue, wonder- but I removed it slowly and carefully. The horizontal decoration in one of the sides of the handle was so slanted that it looked like I had glued the rubber crooked. So much for a 140€ blade.

I've got a Carbonado 145 as well and everything seems ok, although I haven't changed rubbers yet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I bought an Emerald VPS this january and its top ply wrinkled the first time I took a rubber out. It was well attached -with Stiga glue, wonder- but I removed it slowly and carefully. The horizontal decoration in one of the sides of the handle was so slanted that it looked like I had glued the rubber crooked. So much for a 140€ blade.

I've got a Carbonado 145 as well and everything seems ok, although I haven't changed rubbers yet.
What do u mean that the top ply wrinkled?
I'm also thinking about emerald vps

What do u mean that the top ply wrinkled?
I'm also thinking about emerald vps

Some places separated from the second ply in long longitudinal lines without being totally split from the blade. I saw pictures of a similar incident in a Carbonado but I can't find the link.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is how I would explain things about Stiga:

There are some things about Stiga blades that are great and some that are not so great.

Most Stiga blades have very good feeling. And often they play very well. I would say that aspect of Stiga blades is excellent. The funny thing to me about this, many of the older Stiga blades that are very simple and on the inexpensive side are the ones I like best. Blades like the Allround Evolution or the Clipper are examples.

The Stiga Rosewood is a solid blade. It has good feeling and it is fairly sturdy. But it seems to me it costs a bit more than it should for a 5 ply blade that is all wood and has a fairly simple construction. That being said, it is a pretty good, solid blade.

The thing that is not so good about Stiga blades is that they are often made as though they are disposable: like, you use one for six months; you break it; and you get a new one. If you get a Stiga blade, and it doesn't have the NCT coating, you really ought to seal the blade. If you don't, you will likely damage the top plies of wood when you change rubbers.

Then there is how Stiga "finishes"--or, more accurately, doesn't finish--their blades. When you get a brand new blade from Stiga, often there are splinters coming off from parts of the blade that you wouldn't expect. Often the edges of the blade are too sharp for playing.

You could think of this two ways. You could think they are too lazy and disorganized to present a well finished product. Anyone who has purchased a new Stiga blade has some idea what I'm talking about. Or, you could think of it as though Stiga has left their blades a little unfinished so you feel comfortable personalizing them. No matter what blade I get, I like to sand the wings to the shape of my hand. Not exactly like what a Penhold player does. But similar. And I always like to seal my blades myself. So that stuff never really bothered me. But it is a bit odd to see a blade that costs $140.00 USD where the logo under the plastic lens has been cut badly and put in crooked and splinters coming off the edge that needs to be removed and sanded.

The instances of blades delaminating for no reason, there were many occurrences of things like that with the Infinity blade. But I don't think that happened the same way with other blades. I heard of one instance where that happened with a Rosewood. But usually, most of their blades are more solid than that.

But many of Stiga's blades are quite delicate and if you hit the blade on the side of the table you may be heading to the store for a new blade. I always thought that was part of why they had such responsive feeling. But my OSP blade has a ton of feeling and is as solid as any blade I have ever tried.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just an aside: I have never seen a blade from any other company delaminate for absolutely no apparent reason. I have only seen that with Stiga. The gluing process to bind layers together, it isn't too complicated. To me, that seems like an issue that never should have happened. And one that should have been addressed immediately. I have to be honest, if Stiga did address the issue, I don't know about it. But that really does seem like a big issue for quality control and research and development to handle.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Here's the thing about stiga. Good all wood blades, if you get a bad one email them and get a replacement. they have good feeling.

BUT they also are assholes selling 80$ premade raquets at stores like Dicks Sporting Goods. These raquets are designed for the basement player who doesnt know any better. I could Make a 20$ raquet thats better quality than those premade pieces of junk, and every time a new player comes to our club they always seem to have these damn things.

Thats why me and a friend are going to be opening a "pro shop" selling cheap raquets that will help develop form for new players opposed to overspending for a premade POS by stiga or killerspin.